Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a set of 6X9's in their stock hatch speaker areas? How did it work out? Would you happen to have a write up or could you make up a write up on how to do it? Did you have to custom make a box? What did you use to make the box? I'm thinking of trying to squeeze a 6X9 in that area and am hoping one of you guys has had success with it before. Lastly, any tips that you could think of?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
:werd: i would like to know if and how any body has done it....

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
I had planned on it, but I had alot of trouble when it came to plotting it out. I had planned to actually cut a hole for the 6X9 in the same area as the factory speakers, but I was planning on coming at it from the top. But, due to clearance issues, I couldn't get the damn saw-zaw to fit. Then I started thinking of how to come at it from below, but I just said screw it and bought Rockford's in factory size...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking more like building a box for the 6X9 that is almost exactly the same shape as the factory box but has a larger hole in the top to fit the speaker. I know it is plenty long enough but does anyone know if it would be wide enough to accomplish that?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
i dont really think 6x9s will fit in the same box.

heres some 4x6, or 5x7 i cant remember i have lying around to give you an idea. They def get more bass and sound better than the 4's though.

PS: shameless plug: theyre for sale, pm me if anyones interested.

Ang

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
Those are 5x7's, and I think that's about your limit. Maybe two sets of 5.25" would fit if you wanted to waste your money on a 2nd set. I say put a nice set of 5.25's in there and you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, that looks like just about the width limit. I saw something new at Best Buy today, a 4X10 if I recall correctly. Anyone ever hear anything about that type speaker?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Hehe, I was gonna ask if anyone knew if 4x10's would work. Yeah, 4x10's are a somewhat common size... I think my MR2 had a pair of them stock. They do move a fair amount of air, good ones can come very close to matching 6x9's from what I've heard.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i cut out the hole in the original box to fit 6x9's and i made it as small as possible to still fit 6x9's and it cuts out most of the side of the box. pics when i get home on thursday if anyone really wanted them.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
From what I understand, 6x9s are open air speakers. You're better off going with something else for an enclosed box. They will work but not what they were designed for.
Personally, I like the 6x9s too so I built 2 boxes that fit into the rear foot wells.
I cut a rectangular port in the bottom of them going the full length of the box and about 3" high and faced the port so that it pumps directly under the front seats.
I power them with a 80W/channel amp. The wattage from my player worked great too. It will outdrive anything I could put in the stock location. You really feel the bass explosion as it pumps in right under your butt. You don't need to push a lot of air when the speakers are that close and are almost in direct contact. Works great!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
casgallo said:
i cut out the hole in the original box to fit 6x9's and i made it as small as possible to still fit 6x9's and it cuts out most of the side of the box. pics when i get home on thursday if anyone really wanted them.
I'll take those pics. My next question, how does it sound?

·
Registered
393 Posts
deffinatly better then 4"s, if you got a good set of free-air 6x9's would be really good. i think i am going to end up building custom boxes

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm trying to brainstorm an idea on how to get the most free air and still put it in the normal enclosure. Right now i'm thinking of taking a piece of plexiglass plate and cutting the shape of the enclousre. THen bolting it inside so that the inside of the enclosure is open for the air to get to the 6X9's. In affect, the plexiglass would only be there as a bracket to hold the speaker. Would that work? Anybody?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
SupraMan1990 said:
I'm trying to brainstorm an idea on how to get the most free air and still put it in the normal enclosure. Right now i'm thinking of taking a piece of plexiglass plate and cutting the shape of the enclousre. THen bolting it inside so that the inside of the enclosure is open for the air to get to the 6X9's. In affect, the plexiglass would only be there as a bracket to hold the speaker. Would that work? Anybody?
I was thinking along the same lines.... perhaps adding a port to the panel below to free up more airflow?

·
FIX-R upper
567 Posts
I got some infinity 5.25 for 80 bux off ebay and they sound awsome.. i get some base, but if i really want base.. ill just get a SUB!.. you can put one together for 400 from ebay (good one with quality stuff) i got a rockford fasgate wire kit with a digital cap infinity amp and infinity sub.. and a nice rockford box for just under 500.. not for my car tho! god damn it!

Forget what i said if you dont want an extra 100 lbs on your car HA HA HA

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
For the money, a set of decent 5.25" speakers in the front doors and a sub in the trunk that complements the fronts would be more than enough. Rear speakers are pretty much a waste of money.

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
Suprawill1 said:
From what I understand, 6x9s are open air speakers. You're better off going with something else for an enclosed box. They will work but not what they were designed for.
Personally, I like the 6x9s too so I built 2 boxes that fit into the rear foot wells.
I cut a rectangular port in the bottom of them going the full length of the box and about 3" high and faced the port so that it pumps directly under the front seats.
I power them with a 80W/channel amp. The wattage from my player worked great too. It will outdrive anything I could put in the stock location. You really feel the bass explosion as it pumps in right under your butt. You don't need to push a lot of air when the speakers are that close and are almost in direct contact. Works great!
As far as the open air design, that just depends on the individual speaker. I've seen them for enclosures as well.

I've seen what you're describing done as well, and it's true, you don't need much. But I dunno, it's not quite the same. It's gotta be bump in the trunk (or hatch, in this case) for me...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
reedjsupra said:
As far as the open air design, that just depends on the individual speaker. I've seen them for enclosures as well.

I've seen what you're describing done as well, and it's true, you don't need much. But I dunno, it's not quite the same. It's gotta be bump in the trunk (or hatch, in this case) for me...
True.
For what I listen to, I guess I don't need that big 20-40 cycle loose bass.
I like a nice tight bass that I can feel that won't loosen all the hardware in the back half of my car. :)
I guess I need all my trunk space too.

·
make that blkGT4294 LOL!
827 Posts
Nocheez said:
For the money, a set of decent 5.25" speakers in the front doors and a sub in the trunk that complements the fronts would be more than enough. Rear speakers are pretty much a waste of money.
Damn! Somebody on Supraforums that makes sense! I'd go with 6.5"s up front but that's the only difference. Rear speakers just fuck up the soundstage and make it a nightmare to tune. Partial to component sets up front as well, but I like my music more "bright" than most people care for.

BTW nocheez, I almost owned your car! Offered the owner more than what you paid for it well before you bought it. He turned it down, called me later and I already had the black '91. Small world.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts