Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the FJO green display installed? Where did you put it?
When installing it at the factory clock or some other tight custom spot it appears to me that you have to open a can of 'Modification'.
I took the outer case off mine to see if I could buy some space but it really didn't help.
So anyway where did everyone put theirs and what modifications to dash or FJO were required to get it to fit?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I rather smart guy on here posted a few years back where he took his display apart and wired his oem clock up as the display. I thought it looked great. Too bad we don't have search anymore...

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I rather smart guy on here posted a few years back where he took his display apart and wired his oem clock up as the display. I thought it looked great. Too bad we don't have search anymore...
Yeah I remember that post. I always thought he simply gutted the clock and then used the green screen out of the display and put that into the clock. At least thats how I seem to remember it. My surprise came when I opened up my FJO and saw how the circuit board completely fills the casing. So basically if you take off the entire case you don;t save any space. How he got that circuit board attached to the clock and then managed to support it, protect it and make it fixed is beyond me. I am planning a similiar install which I will post pics from when complete. Not the clock but totally custom and similarly difficult.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I thought he actually wired the clock to display the afr. I could be wrong though. One thing, it was cool and I wished I would have copied it.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
I saw another interesting option, put it into the tach face:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I'm the guy who originally started selling the FJO kits in the US (back in 2001 or so when I started www.widebandO2.com -- I've since sold that business). At that time I took my display case apart and shortened the height and the length. Then I mounted it to the underside of the instrument hood just to the left of the tachometer. IMO, that's the perfect spot for it. Unfortunately, the later model displays (starting in 2003 or so) were built a little differently and you couldn't shorten them front to rear because the circuit board is longer. You CAN mount the later model display as I described, but it covers up your view of the left turn signal indicator a little bit, and sticks out a little closer to the front edge of the instrument hood than I'd like. However, it'd still look 100 times better than a ghetto mount like the top of the instrument hood or even the top of the steering column. I have a write-up on how to modify the display to make it smaller that I could post if you like (need to get it from my files at home). If you happen to have an early model display, you'll be in luck.

I'd post a photo of the display mounted, but SF won't let me post photos for some reason. Maybe I can find a link to one...

Edit: Here's a link to a photo of a mounted display that I modified for my friend Andi Baritchi: http://www.boostaholic.com/supra/onelap/ola_9.jpg
In the photo it looks like it sticks out, but in person it looks pretty "factory" and doesn't stick out as a ghetto item at all, IMO. Like I said though, if you mount the 'full size' display there, it'll look a little more 'oversized'.

·
Stock Twins King
4,544 Posts
PM "toyotafan" he has his in the clock. Also, Daniel at VIP Imports had one located in one of the knock-out plugs where the track buttons are. I really liked that one. It fit perfectly. What I didnt like was how low it is. It wasnt easy to glance at.

Also, another guy named "kale" took his apart and mounted it a pilar 52mm slot.

It is a shame the search function isnt working because these were posted a long time ago.

I made life real simple and just purchased the FJO 52mm guage and it was installed in 20 minutes where my clock was. I have upgraded to Innovate, so I may be selling the gauge.

Stu

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Spend some moldy money jon and buy the round display :)
Mike, you know I don't like spendin the dough ;)
Well I did what I almost always do in these cases....
I get impatient rather quickly and I just go full steam
ahead either with the dorky search function or without it.
I never even wait long enough to hear all the ideas that pop up to thread.

Anyway I never heard of anyone putting it into the track slot but thats what I had in mind all along. I like the idea of that. I seriously doubt the late model boards would fit behind our tachs without some serious training in micro soldering.
It worked out great and I love the look of it there at old trac location. Love the concept of ditching oem crap and replacing it in in the same slot with something cool.
I will post pics soon. ( Oh, and it didn't fit in there easily. I had to do some serious steady hand dremeling )

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here a pic of mine at the trac button...

·
Premium Member
4,432 Posts
Only problem is you have to take your eye off the road to see it......Defeating the whole purpose if you ask me.

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If we are honest our eyes leave the road countless times each day to look at all kinds of items if only for a second. The tunes sit directly above that location and we look at our tunes much more then our air fuel. I look at it this way, once the car is tuned properly how often do we sit and watch these things anyway. I went with this location because it looks more factory rather then stacking it acwardly on the steering column or adding yet another round gauge to the a pillars. To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I still say that the underside of the instrument hood is the best spot for it. It's right beside the tach and you can see both at a glance, yet most people don't even see the gauge when they look in the car (i.e. it isn't ricey or tacked-on looking, especially if you find one of the early models and modify it to make it smaller). The more power you're making the more you need to watch the AFR at high boost, yet the less you need to have your eyes off the road. Eyes shouldn't be leaving the road much at 800+ HP and 100+ MPH. You can pretty much watch the road and the tach area at the same time, but I don't think it's possible to safely watch a display in the trac switch area. You may steal a glance from time to time, but you can't watch the afr through the boost and rpm range. In the past 3 weeks I know of 2 Supras that have been blown (one still questionable as to whether it's really blown) and both were from an unexpected lack of fuel and both would have been prevented if the driver had been noticing the wideband.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Looks good Jon, although I have my FJO box mounted on the steering column. I like the way it looks, it was simple, and it's functional (I can easily glance down at it during a pull). I do have the "older" style FJO so it's nice to know I could relocate it if needed. I think I'm just going to get a AEM serial gauge to put in my stock location that can display basically any parameter the AEM has.

·
'93 Supra TT
480 Posts
I bumped the other thread, hoping toyotafan would chime in.....

Only problem is you have to take your eye off the road to see it......Defeating the whole purpose if you ask me.
I agree about that. Its a great install, but its too low

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I said we look away from the road momentarily for all sorts of reasons when we drive. Really no difference to me if I am looking at the factory clock location or the one I made, I will be looking away either way. I have to look away a second for the tach too. Thing is its the road your looking at 98% of the time and not the other way around.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
My last post on this subject, but I'll say once more that one can NOT watch the trac switch area from 4500 RPM to 8000 RPM at WOT and 30 PSI with anything remotely resembling safety. However, you CAN watch the tach area under those circumstances because you can see the road in your peripheral vision. If you can't watch the entire RPM range under boost, you can't spot a lean area in the RPM range and hence the built-in wideband is nearly useless under those conditions where it could otherwise be of the greatest benefit -- that is, helping one spot an AFR problem BEFORE it does serious damage.

I agree completely that we can and do look at the trac area, dig around in the center console, look out the rear window, send text messages, and all manner of other things that take our eyes off the road while tooling casually along, but those are times when it doesn't really matter what the AFR is, so those glances won't help when it matters.

IME, there is also a significant difference in the Tach area and the factory clock area in terms of 'watchability.' My boost gauge is in place of the factory clock and I can only (safely) steal a quick glance at it here and there under 750-ish whp conditions in 3rd and higher gears, but as I said, I can watch the tach area quite a lot if I want to. Not that I watch the AFR all the time, but I do take a look through a gear every other pull or so.

I guess I'm an big advocate of paying attention to widebands because it's been working for me for about 5 years to keep my stock short block alive on 26-32+ PSI all that time. There has been at least 3 or 4 incidents where I'd probably have eventually toasted my engine if I hadn't had the wideband. In a couple of cases the tune drifted off, and in another case a new VPC sensor had a different high boost voltage curve than the old one. In all cases the AFRs shifted into the 13.5:1 range under high boost, and without the wideband I'd never have known it because the car ran GREAT like that. With the wideband I caught it on the first pull, and was able to correct the tune. I'm a believer based upon my own experiences.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
First off you need to be in boost to even worry about your AF's, so Jon you are fine with where it is located :1poke:

Hey Tony, give me a shout you bisnatch!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts