Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yes ive been threads about this etc, but this is my 1st attempt at this. looks clean imo i did low/fog HID and bought a OEM high beam bulb. these HIDS are just temps for a while before i start Retrofitting S2000 Projectors and Possibly Blazer Foglight Projectors during the winter. i have seen a foglight mod which was done Super clean and i did them.... Amazing Results. Well heres my Build Guys dont go too hard on me. Thanks! and also sorry for the Bad Camera Quality

LIST OF ITEMS NEEDED:

1. Solder Iron
2. Solder Wire thick or thin doesnt matter
3. Wire cutting pliers (multi tool works as well)
4. Electrical Tape
5. A very small phillips screw driver (for making the fog light hole harness)
6. Four DDM Tuning Ballast (for fog and low)
7. x2 9006 Bulbs HID (Low)
8. x2 H3 Bulbs HID (fogs)
9. x2 194 Wedge Bulb (LED Day time running light/City Light)
10. A socket wrench
11. A 10mm Socket
12. 1-2 hours of your life (took me two hours because i took my time)

1. got a random box in my room when i came home today so i wondered what it was... until i opened it! DDM Ballast and Bulbs, 6000k for both! (i bought Extra bulbs just in case one burns out!)

2. i turned on the stock headlights on in my Garage i couldnt do a night time comparison because this was around 4:30PM

3. Bolts To unbolt just showing where to etc.

4. took the stock snorkel out

5. Driver side headlight, took out the battery of course.

6. Battery Removed

7. Headlights Removed (they were a little hassel to remove so you gotta wedge your way through)

8. The Headlights, and the Goodies.

9. High Beam bulb removed.

10. Comparing.

11. i changed the Day time Running Light to White LEDs i cant stand Amber

12. The Bulbs!

13. Did the Low Beams First since its simple

14. finished with the low beams. now on to the Fogs.

15. Yay Bulbs and Harnesses! More Fun.....

- Bio

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
16. there was a thread along time ago doing this mod with the cap, and i was amazed how it worked! Thanks Random Dude!!

17. Messed up Whoops!

18. Success!

19. Got the Bulb in Nice and Tight

20. Looks Smooth

21. Better View

22. i went outside to put the headlight back in on the drivers side since it does do Alot of pain

23. I did not mean to mount both the ballast there. i only mounted one, due to the low beam connector being Short.

24. Tucks In :)

25. Looks Like Nothings Even There!

26. Test #1

27. Now for Mr Headlight #2....(the bear was for my Ex Girlfriend :/)

28. Fog Light Connectors, and Day Time Running Lights

29. Cut Off The Wires, and pry the little connector out.

- Bio

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
30. All you should have left now is the Cap itself.

31. the guy said he used a small flat head to do it. but i used a solder iron to warm up the wires and just used a small phillips and got my way in. (slow and steady wins the race)

32. Clearence!

33. Yes Really, gotta give thumbs up for Work!

34. cut one wire and slide it through the hole, then solder and then use electrical tape. i say do one then the other because you dont wanna mix the wires/connectors up)

35. for the fog light connectors i really didnt take pictures of this one much since it was a little annoying, basically the red/black wires you cut and that is left on the Fog light Connector is going to be used to solder the red and black wire on the HID Harness and electrical tape. (sorry if i worded that wrong)

36. everything plugged in..

37. There she sits with a Missing Eye!

38. Finding My way in.

39. LED City Lights, Look Amazing White IMO.

40. Another Look

41. Turned them on, and they look Greenish, but one of my friends said it looks Blueish. Confused Much?

42. Lows and fogs On.

43. Final Result.. of Product.. they look nice, and clean, but i still prefer Retrofits. S2000 Ftw.

Thank you guys Hope you like the mod. BTW i just rehosted this and revised things a little better. im not running these HID's anymore since DDM tuning Ballast failed on me 6 months later, as i stated above I was going to run a S2000 Retrofit, well money came short so all i could get was some TSX projectors. im redoing my headlights to black housing with chrome rings with a 97 turn signals. maybe deline the lens as well (no will not do it as service sorry). if any problems feel free to post and pm me with any questions i will answer them to the best of my ability. again take care guys and have a safe mod.

- Bio

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good job, a great write up! I have a HID kit sitting in my car that I was going to try to knock out this weekend. I'm sure this thread will make it a smooth install. Thanks!

Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very beautiful. Btw. I was wondering where did you get the led for the day time running light? I already did my high, low, fog light upgrade to hid already and it wasn't so bad.
i bought my LED light from superbrightleds.com or something like that. i bought 8 of them for my license plate lights and rear side markers.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just a bit of advice.....

Where you mounted your driver's side ballast does get exposed to moisture.

I had my HID ballast mounted in the exact location and in about 5 months it went out on me. I isolated the ballast by switching it to the passenger side (which was working) and it still did not work.

After removing the ballast I could hear water sloshing inside. Mind you the ballast was a Matsushita HID ballast, which is an OEM ballast for Infiniti/Nissan, and I do not drive my car in the rain either. The moisture was just from washing the car.

BTW, get a retorifit it makes a world of difference; I have Acura TSX HID projectors and they are so sharp.

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a bit of advice.....

Where you mounted your driver's side ballast does get exposed to moisture.

I had my HID ballast mounted in the exact location and in about 5 months it went out on me. I isolated the ballast by switching it to the passenger side (which was working) and it still did not work.

After removing the ballast I could hear water sloshing inside. Mind you the ballast was a Matsushita HID ballast, which is an OEM ballast for Infiniti/Nissan, and I do not drive my car in the rain either. The moisture was just from washing the car.

BTW, get a retorifit it makes a world of difference; I have Acura TSX HID projectors and they are so sharp.
thanks for the advice! i never wash my car i just wax spray it these are just temp HIDs until i save about 1k for Retrofits. im going for S2000 Lows and Blazer Fogs, i have experianced Retrofits and My God its Amazing.

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Please do a write up on the retrofit once you do it. That's my next mod down the road.
i was goign to send them to lightwerkz or w/e but this is my 1st attempt at it if i do do it but if i do i will!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks a lot for this guide. I will be doing the exact same install (same kit too!) in a few weeks when the roads are free of gravel due to the crappy Canada winters. Very detailed post.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Clean your headlights with plastx. The yellowing on your lens is causing your lights to look green.

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Clean your headlights with plastx. The yellowing on your lens is causing your lights to look green.
Thanks slow supra i cleaned them out a few months later and realized the greening was reduced by alot. was thinking of going Euro lens. since i wouldnt have to worry about them forever.

- Bio

·
Super Moderator
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To get rid of the fear of getting moisture into your ballasts, just pot them and you can run them if they are fully submerged in water
plastic shrink?

·
Registered
94 Supra TT
2,167 Posts
Yay, another Supra owner sees the light and is retrofitting. Congrats man. I have the S2k's in mine but you'll enjoy TSX projectors just fine. I came from a Chinese PnP so-called "HID" kit before too and same as yours, they failed, light pattern sucked, etc. There's no comparison and you'll wonder how you ever did without them. Post pics when it's done.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.