Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need new lower ball joints in the front. I searched and I read up on the TSRM. It seems like the easiest way to do it is to jack up the lower control arm, take off the wheel, and then remove the strut from the lower control arm. After that you remove the 3 nuts holding the lower ball joint to the lower control arm and then the nut holding it on top.

Can is really be this easy? My friend said that I'd need a hydraulic press to do this job. Is that true? Also, I do have a ball joint fork for getting it out.

Any other tips or tricks? Thanks.

·
Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
519 Posts
Make sure you have a way to get enough resistance when you're installing the new ones or the bolt will keep spinning, and spinning, and spinning, and spinning, and spinning......you get the idea

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Once you jack up the car, put it on jackstands. That way, you'll be able to use the jack to press up under the balljoint so you can keep the bolt from spin-spin-spinning.

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
You don't have to have a fork to remove them (fork can damage the boots in the event they will be reused) there's a tool to seperate them w/o damaging the boots or you can use a hammer and brass drift to strike the side of knuckle to pop the bolt loose. It may take several tries but you need a solid hit on the side of the knuckle to accomplish it.
(also a solid drift of decent diameter to transfer to blow to the knuckle)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
bump...

Anybody know a size of the fork needed for the lower ball joints? I need to go buy one...

I have tried the hammer/chissle idea before and that just fubared the threads. :rant2:

·
92 TURBO
1,001 Posts
blackout_89t said:
bump...

Anybody know a size of the fork needed for the lower ball joints? I need to go buy one...

I have tried the hammer/chissle idea before and that just fubared the threads. :rant2:
Try it this way as I just did my right side: Remove castle nut,spray with penetrating oil at knuckle to stud threads and than install the old castle nut up side down just above flush with the stud's thread. This makes a recess and keeps the bar from sliding off the stud and protects the threads incase you want to reuse the old ball joint. A couple good blows will separate it from the knuckle. I use a short piece of 3/8 rebar. Jack up the front end to let BOTH lower arms hang free . < stabilizer bar prevents this if you only raise the side your changing. NO need to disconnect anything else on the suspension to change lower ball joints. 3 nuts hold it to the lower arm. I just did only my pass. side as it failed the TSRM inch pound turn test.
BTW, A new nut and retainer clip comes with the new lower ball joint (Toyota).
Mike

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
SupraMikeCT said:
Try it this way as I just did my right side: Remove castle nut,spray with penetrating oil at knuckle to stud threads and than install the old castle nut up side down just above flush with the stud's thread. This makes a recess and keeps the bar from sliding off the stud and protects the threads incase you want to reuse the old ball joint. A couple good blows will separate it from the knuckle. I use a short piece of 3/8 rebar. Jack up the front end to let BOTH lower arms hang free . < stabilizer bar prevents this if you only raise the side your changing. NO need to disconnect anything else on the suspension to change lower ball joints. 3 nuts hold it to the lower arm. I just did only my pass. side as it failed the TSRM inch pound turn test.
BTW, A new nut and retainer clip comes with the new lower ball joint (Toyota).
Mike
heh, thanks.

that is exactly what I did wit the nut. I was just going to come on here to give another way to do it, but you beat me to it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
prsrcokr said:
You don't have to have a fork to remove them (fork can damage the boots in the event they will be reused) there's a tool to seperate them w/o damaging the boots or you can use a hammer and brass drift to strike the side of knuckle to pop the bolt loose. It may take several tries but you need a solid hit on the side of the knuckle to accomplish it.
he is replacing the ball jiont

·
THE LAST NA
1,326 Posts
i meant to erase that casue i found the info about "what needs to be taken apart"......

Jack up the front end to let BOTH lower arms hang free . < stabilizer bar prevents this if you only raise the side your changing. NO need to disconnect anything else on the suspension to change lower ball joints. 3 nuts hold it to the lower arm

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
pickle fork is needed to break the taper..
Wrong don't need a pickle fork, you can get a big hammer and smack the spindle by the ball joint a few times and it will pop right out. I have done hundreds like this with no problems

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
fuck the drift, just hit the knuckle. i do tie rods and ball joints all day. couple smacks and she'll come out without busting your knuckles with a drift. you wont hurt it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts