Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i made a post about this before a few months ago and the mods seem to have deleted it. How is the pump to be wired? I don't know how or what to wire it to. If possible i'd like to add a switch to run it when the car isnt running. Anyone know? I appreciate the help. Car is taken apart right now and all ready to go with the install. Also installing duel AAP electric fans at the same time.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i know someone wants to help me :) please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
why dont you wire it with a relay to a power source that turns on when the key is in the acessory position so that way if the car is off the pump will still run and if you want to turn it off you can run a toggle switch to turn it off if you want.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jokable1 said:
why dont you wire it with a relay to a power source that turns on when the key is in the acessory position so that way if the car is off the pump will still run and if you want to turn it off you can run a toggle switch to turn it off if you want.
that will work i guess, but witha ll the accessories running wouldnt the battery drain a tad bit faster?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, and is it suggested to install a thermostat with this pump? or no
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347836


Deff replace your thermostat if it is old. Too cheap not to really.



I'd just wire it up to an ignition relay, or even on the fuel pump relay so when the fuel pump is running, the electric water pump is as well. You can always put a switch inline as well so you can run the water pump whenever you wanted as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
well if your worried about the battery draining then you could always add a volt gauge to monitor. as long as the voltage doesnt get too low like less than 12v you should be able to start the vehicle.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WhiteBlazze said:
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347836


Deff replace your thermostat if it is old. Too cheap not to really.



I'd just wire it up to an ignition relay, or even on the fuel pump relay so when the fuel pump is running, the electric water pump is as well. You can always put a switch inline as well so you can run the water pump whenever you wanted as well.
its all hooked up. i have the trd 160 degree thermostat
 

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
hope your going to upgrade your altenator cause the drain on the power can hurt your top end boost .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well it was all hooked to the alternator.. blew a fuse.. looks like its plan B. which i don't have one. any ideas what ic an wire the fan and the pump to? i dont wantt o wire it to a relay in the back of the car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
its easier if you wire 12v directly and use a relay to control the ground side. you should be able to keep the relay in the engine compartment. theres plenty of different ways to wire up a relay whether its to control the power side or ground side make sure you have the proper gauge wire and fuse the longer the wire is the thicker it should be .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
oh and i dont think theres anyway a electric water pump can effect boost . i dont think it was desinged to pull so much power to hurt your alt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
HydroMatrix said:
Well, i made a post about this before a few months ago and the mods seem to have deleted it. How is the pump to be wired? I don't know how or what to wire it to. If possible i'd like to add a switch to run it when the car isnt running. Anyone know? I appreciate the help. Car is taken apart right now and all ready to go with the install. Also installing duel AAP electric fans at the same time.
Is this vehicle for drag racing or everyday driving? It will work for a short drive ..like drag racing. We had a couple that gave out after a couple hundreds of miles. Just a head up.
JPI
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JP IMPORTZ said:
Is this vehicle for drag racing or everyday driving? It will work for a short drive ..like drag racing. We had a couple that gave out after a couple hundreds of miles. Just a head up.
JPI
its not a daily driver but its not a drag car, hopefully it wont go out, ive heard good things about them so it should be good, if not theres probably some kinda waranty its under
 

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
i assumed that you have a six speed if you do the altenator is only 90 amps and the auto is 130 amps so if you have dual electic fans and water pump and a stereo system thats a big drain on your power supply which means when you hit high boost you can cut out because lack of spark. the reason i say this is because i have dual fans and a system so i have to change my plugs often in order to keep from cutting out .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Yikes, AAP fans and an electric water pump. You are asking for overheating issues. There are so many better ways to eek out horsepower gains than risking cooling system failures with these products.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JP IMPORTZ said:
Are you willing to risk a 5k engine for this mod? Find your hp somewhere like a gt47-80!!!!
JPI
hah, my engine isnt worth nearly that, but yeah im willing to sacrafise it, i constabtly look at the temp gauge, i'll notice if something goes wrong before it has time to harm anything. but thanks for your concerns, i really do appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,709 Posts
HydroMatrix said:
hah, my engine isnt worth nearly that, but yeah im willing to sacrafise it, i constabtly look at the temp gauge, i'll notice if something goes wrong before it has time to harm anything. but thanks for your concerns, i really do appreciate it.

bad news

the temp gauge is really about useless, once it starts to climb you are already overheated ;)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top