Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question on installing a K&N breather on the passenger side valve cover... The 90 degree fitting that comes out of the valve cover needs to be rotated up 90 degrees for me to clamp the filter on. I tried twisting it up, but it's not moving. Do I need to remove the valve cover to loosen it from the inside first? I was twisting it pretty hard and it wouldn't budge. Thanks!

Justin

·
Registered
872 Posts
Quick question on installing a K&N breather on the passenger side valve cover... The 90 degree fitting that comes out of the valve cover needs to be rotated up 90 degrees for me to clamp the filter on. I tried twisting it up, but it's not moving. Do I need to remove the valve cover to loosen it from the inside first? I was twisting it pretty hard and it wouldn't budge. Thanks!

Justin
insert a big screw driver to the hole,then twist up. may want to cover the screw driver with tape first, the tighter the fit better.
Stephen

·
Original owner, March '94
224 Posts
3/8 extension works better than a screwdriver. Almost a perfect fit.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
Recently got my TT... So most people put breathers on each valve cover? Nobody runs it to intake?
This is reguarding a single turbo conversion. Some people don't want their intercooler and piping gummed up with oil vapor. May also depend on your emission requirments.

·
Nice White Supra
297 Posts
I stuck a screw driver inside an rubber vacuum hose so that the screw driver didnt move around a lot in the fitting. Then I sprayed a little WD40 around the fitting, and gave it a good pull till it moved where I wanted it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This is reguarding a single turbo conversion. Some people don't want their intercooler and piping gummed up with oil vapor. May also depend on your emission requirments.
Oh I was asking just for TT supras, what do you guys do with them?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure that there would be any reason to do this for a TT with the stock turbos on it. In regards to running this to the intake pipe on a single turbo car...there have been many threads talking about this and most of them seem to conclude that you could either:

A) keep the stock driver's side pcv plumbing and put a breather on the passenger side

or

B) run a line from the drivers side valve cover and passenger side valve cover into a T, and then run that into a catch can. You would then run a line from the catch can to the intake pipe going into the turbo.

I have read virtually every post I could find about routing these lines, and some people even route lines different from the two methods I posted. The methods that I posted seemed (in my opinion) to be the two most popular or recommended ways of plumbing the lines. Personally, in the near future, I would like to go with method B, because of "bling factor" even if no other advantage is to be had. I'm doing a shitload of work to the car and right now method A is about all I have the time and patience for. That'll change. If anyone can provide more insight, please do. My information is simply based on reading every thread that I could find on this topic and doing my best to pick the most highly recommended options.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I figured the smart thing to do is have them run to some source of vacuum and have heard cases where people picked up HP this way believe it or not. Catch can would solve the problem of having oil in the intake. Thanks for the input Justin.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cannot get this thing to turn without bending it. Is there a nut or something that can be loosened inside the valve cover? I'll take the valve cover off if it will help prevent bending the shit out of this thing like I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You may want to try sliding a socket over it and then trying to turn it. I had the same problem with mine using a scredriver inside. Try wobbling it back and fourth while spraying penetrating oil on it.

·
Original owner, March '94
224 Posts
Try it when the car is hot, maybe the valve cover material will expand more than the steel on the nipple. There is no nut on the inside, it's a press fit fitting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts