Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apparently screwed up somewhere while replacing my rear main seal. I dis and RE-assembled the car only to find that it is STILL fucking leaking.
It is very possible that I damaged the rear main seal when I installed it.
What do you guys use (Short of the SST recommended that will take 4-8 weeks to get from the dealer.)
I was thinking an oil filter socket.
I was inches from suicide watching those drips trickle down I swear.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
where is the rear main seal? off the back of tranny where driveshaft connects? lol i just had to post...i hate when ppl take days to reply to my threads...:)

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
no it seals the crankcase off, behind the flywheel. What did you use to install it? Try to find a can or something that is the same diameter and pound on it until it snaps into place... or tow it to a toyota dealership and have them pop it in for you, then you reassemble everything.

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hoser813 said:
no it seals the crankcase off, behind the flywheel. What did you use to install it? Try to find a can or something that is the same diameter and pound on it until it snaps into place... or tow it to a toyota dealership and have them pop it in for you, then you reassemble everything.
Dude this is Hatred from WBB.
NO shit I was wondering if I was going to see you in here.
I am going to use a socket like I mentioned before. It only needs to work once for the price.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
remember to lubricate it.....i lubricated both the inner and outter side of the seal...you def. have to do the inner side. if you dont the crank will just burn it right up to the smallest point and it'll leak again. good luck

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Lube it with oil. I just used a rubber mallet to install mine, hasn't leaked yet. Did you check the sealing surface on the crank to make sure it was in good condition?

·
Turbo Meathead
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to say I didn't. I had to do this outside and could not lean up enough to see.
I am guilty of not lubing the seal so it is my own damn fault.
Now I get to suffer in 16 inches of space under a supra again. I would give my left nut for lift time at my dealership.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just did mine, my only 2 cents would be to nail a few peices of wood together and put it between your jack and your car, will make life sooooooo much easier under there. Not sure if you knew this or what not, just giving help. I actually ran out of jackstand length before i ran out of jack, and its a little jack. Good luck!!!

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
even if you do lube the crank and try to push the seal over the journal, its still possible to bend/hyperextend the sealing lip. i installed the front main seal on my last 7M and as i tried to push it over the snout, i noticed, th edge of the journal caught the inner lip and it folded outward as i tried to slide the seal into place. i had to pull it off and start over untill the lip would go over the journal w/o snagging and hanging up. and when i did get it on, i used a hammer and tapped on alternating sides, just like when you torque down a wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts