Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a newb question, but I'll ask it anyway...

The car is a 1994 Supra w/ a SP63 and such.... 4 row I/C, blah blah blah...

@ full boost, the 4"-3" (Lowe's Special) reducer I have is popping off the inlet for the turbo... well.. maybe popping off is the wrong description... working it's way off may be a better description...

Would this be affected by the placement of the BOV? I only ask b/c previously I had the BOV mounted close to the output of the turbo (pass side) and now it's on the heavy cast pipe that comes w/ the 4-row (driver's side). Would that be causing surge?

Sorry if this is a stupid question... and yes.. I searched.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Wolf, i would suggest buying a silicone coupling(hitempsilicone.com is where I got all mine from)
For the time being though, you can get some spray adhesive and spray some on the piping, then force the reducer on. Over the course of a few days, it will setup to where you might not even need the hose clamp, LOL
You could also get a good t-bolt clamp and that should work also. Not sure about the BOV position, but I dont think the surging is what is causing the pipe to come off, i would venture to say its happening while under heavy boost.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my thinking on the BOV location.. and yes... I've read Corky Bell's book... TWICE....

I put it as close as possible to the throttle plate (cast elbow in the 4-row piping) b/c it would react the fastest to the air in front of the plate, allowing all the air that had already made it's way through the I/C to continue, not be reversed...

I've got a t-bolt clamp on it already... not really helping much....

Damnit.....

Thanks for the suggestions B.. you gonna be @ Chargrill on Friday night?

J

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,832 Posts
Wolfpack2JZ said:
Probably a newb question, but I'll ask it anyway...

The car is a 1994 Supra w/ a SP63 and such.... 4 row I/C, blah blah blah...

the 4"-3" (Lowe's Special) reducer I have is popping off the inlet for the turbo...

when you use shit on your car, shit will happen. go get a silicone reducer and get back to us.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SteelCitySupra said:
when you use shit on your car, shit will happen. go get a silicone reducer and get back to us.

Touche' :)

I've got a 4" intake pipe on the way... with requisite re-inforced silicone couplers of course.....

OTOH.... I never had problems using the same adapter on any of my FD's....

I think it's more of an academic question about WHY....

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Wolf, try the spray on adhesive then. Might be enough to get you by till your new one comes in
EDIT: yes, ill be chargrill. You gonna make it this time? I dont wanna be one of the few rice cars out there, LOL

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
slither said:
Wolf, try the spray on adhesive then. Might be enough to get you by till your new one comes in
EDIT: yes, ill be chargrill. You gonna make it this time? I dont wanna be one of the few rice cars out there, LOL
I was there for the cruise-in on Sat...

I'll be there!

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Might be a dumb anwser by me, but hell I will try to help you out anyways. I was having some trouble with blowing the IC pipes on my car and here is what I did to fix it. Take some brake clean and clean both the inside of the coupler and the inlet on the turbo that it is going on, just spray it and then wipe it down a few times with a rag, or just spray the rag and wipe with that. After that, get some aerosol hairspray and spray the shit out of the inside of the coupler and then on the turbo inlet if you wish to do so (the coupler might be enough). Then just put it all back together with the t bolt clamp and give it a few mins to dry.. after that you should be alright. I used to blow this damn IC coupler every week, since I did this I havent (*knock on wood*) blown it in about 6 months.

If this is of no help to you, Im sorry, but I just figured I would try to help ya out.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan94TT said:
Might be a dumb anwser by me, but hell I will try to help you out anyways. I was having some trouble with blowing the IC pipes on my car and here is what I did to fix it. Take some brake clean and clean both the inside of the coupler and the inlet on the turbo that it is going on, just spray it and then wipe it down a few times with a rag, or just spray the rag and wipe with that. After that, get some aerosol hairspray and spray the shit out of the inside of the coupler and then on the turbo inlet if you wish to do so (the coupler might be enough). Then just put it all back together with the t bolt clamp and give it a few mins to dry.. after that you should be alright. I used to blow this damn IC coupler every week, since I did this I havent (*knock on wood*) blown it in about 6 months.

If this is of no help to you, Im sorry, but I just figured I would try to help ya out.
Wow man... that actually isn't a bad idea... aerosol hairspray DOES get tacky after it dries.....

thanks for the tip!

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Not a problem.. it worked wonders for me, and its not like any other spray adheasive that tend to get messy after some time. Try the hairspray and let me know how it works, it seems to really work well with rubber/silicone couplers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts