Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Supra NA and I just put on K & N filter and adapter on my car. When I started it up, my car was running rough (vibrating) at idle. Then when I drove it, from about 1,000 to 1,500 rpms it also ran weird. It almost sounds bogged down and vibrates a lot! I rechecked my installation and everything is fastened properly. So I reset my ecu hoping that would be the ticket---I pulled out my ECU fuse while the car was off--- but no such luck.
Please help!
Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Plug the MAF or AFM back in. I've started mine a couple of times without it plugged in and your problem sounds just like it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the MAF the at the end of the intake pipe. If it is, it was plugged in and this frustration is still haunting me!!! I can't believe just putting on intake is giving me this much grief!
YIKES:eek:

Any ideas are welcomed,
Thanks

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
check the maf

look on the maf and make sure there still a honeycomb shaped pice in the from of it where it connects to the filter. some people have removed this and says it makes it slightly more powerful..but causes low end and idling problems. i think its goldish in color. hope this helps
Bob

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
Make sure all of the vacuum hoses and wires are plugged back in right and make sure all cables running to your MAF (thing the filter connects to). Also when you pulled that fuse did you keep it pulled for more then just a second, when you pull it keep it out for a couple minutes and then replace it that should reset the ECU. Hope this helps.
Later

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is getting out of hand!! I got tired of trying make my intake work, so I decided to just go back to stock intake for now. Some mechanic told me that because of the MAF it was impossible to make the K and N filter and adapter work? So I put everything back together and reset my ecu. Did it run good....no way! Same crap! Just out of curiosty, how does everyone else reset their ecu? Please shine some light on my poor running supra.
Thanks

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
have you checked that honeycomb thing yet? the car struggle at idle with it off

did you make sure the maf is plugged in correctly? the car may idle weird and then die if it's not connected properly...

did you mess with the maf when you had it out? the maf is very sensitive and now could be messed up... i hear a new one is kind of expensive... order the venom maf and tell us how this thing performs or get the stock one which is the same as the mk3 turbo... i hope this isn't the problem... good luck and let us know if/when you find out what it is...

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try to remove and reconnect the electric plug going to the MAF. It may not have made all the contacts correctly, or you may have bent a contact. (I would think you would get an engine code however.) Other than that, it sounds as though a vacuum hose is leaking or pulled off, letting un-metred air in. Check the EGR hose also.

At the risk of repeating, leave the ECU fuse out for 2 minutes. Then when you plug it back, it will take 5 minutes or so for the ECU to reprogram. Also make certain any jumpers you put on the Diagnostic Block are removed. I left the block shorted once and although it idled great, it ran like dog poop.:eek:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm..

I hope you get this problem sorted out. I'm getting a custom made aluminum intake w/ akimoto filter on my 97 NA next wednesday. I reeally wouldn't want that to happen to mine =/
and while we're on the topic of intakes...should I have my pre-cat taken off? The guy doing my intake said i would need an ECU upgrade first, because my idle would go nuts, any input?

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
you cant take the pre-cat off without a custom downpipe or custom headers, the second main cat can be taken out and repaced with custom bent alum or stainless 2.5. i had one made for my car a couple weeks ago and it it gave the exhuast a nicer sound and decreased back pressure a bit plus if you keep the strock exhaust it willnt make that ticking noise after you drive your car hard and shut it off. plus ya know lol you save that precious 8lbs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts