Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the highest temp the intake manifold gets on the 7m-gte? and for the exhaust manifold? I'm curious because i have some billet aluminum and access to a cnc router, i might make myself some custom parts. i need to know if my aluminum is temp rated high enough, that's all.

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah, and if anybody knows how to get some fargin' pictures to show up in the sig please enlighten me.

·
ODS
847 Posts
I would imagine if you made the parts then coated them with some really high temp ceramic you should be fine... Especially the intake manifold (the intake manifold shouldnt need any coating at all), the exhaust manifold is another matter, I am sure there is a ceramic coating that would keep the aluminum from warping or what not... If you have a free flowing exhaust you might be able to get away without coating it at all (although either way it would be a good idea to keep the under hood temps down)... I have yet to see a turbo melt or warp due to heat, and I have seen turbo's glow from being soo hot...

SMo'

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey thanks. i got these billet aluminum doors i'm taking apart. really thick stuff, and heavy. that's where i got it from. anywho.......

not really "heavy", just really thick.

·
greasemonkey
3,126 Posts
i wouldnt use aluminum for the exhaust manifold. intake, go for it, but exhaust? why?

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's lighter than cast iron, and the supra weighs too much. i figure if i can get some aluminum parts made for the engine bay i could save around 100 pounds altogether.

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe not make an exhaust manifold, persay, but headers or something like that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That should be the last stuff you worry about lightening right? Take out all the stuff you dont need first if you are really concerned with weight. Get cool stuff like lighter rims, now thats worth it. Lighter racing seats thats worth it. Get a lighter hood and stuff like that. Most temp gauges mk3 use go up to what 1400F? I dont know I am yet to get one. Probably wouldnt get much hotter than that or people wouldnt buy them. Get it all ceramic coated like others said. Under hood temps are important.

·
greasemonkey
3,126 Posts
my egt gauge goes to 1600deg. dr j said in the manifold, dont let it go over 1650. so, since my gauge only goes to 1600 thats where i limit safe egt's. ive seen a max of 1550 on the bridge at over 5k rpm in 5th under boost since 3rd. btw, ditto on the wheels. my 16in enkie's weigh ~15-16lbs each, stock 14's weighed 15.

·
Registered
132 Posts
smartguy54321 said:
what's the highest temp the intake manifold gets on the 7m-gte? and for the exhaust manifold? I'm curious because i have some billet aluminum and access to a cnc router, i might make myself some custom parts. i need to know if my aluminum is temp rated high enough, that's all.
maximum exhaust temperature:
950 ° C:
Measured in the exhaust manifold

950°C = 1742 °F

so we say in Germany

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
You will find it much easier to make extra power to move the weight than the other way around.

Much less expensive as well I'd bet.

Dan

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn, i didn't know that wheels were that light. the stock rims aren't very heavy though either, right? aren't they only about 20 pounds?

·
Rebuild in 5...4...3...
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
90Legend said:
You will find it much easier to make extra power to move the weight than the other way around.

Much less expensive as well I'd bet.

Dan
well, i figure that if i can get a better flowing intake manifold i could get some more power in it, but i do understand what ur saying. especially about it being cheaper. i remember reading something in super street about a mkiv intake manifold costing 25000 bucks to make. that's nuts

·
Registered
132 Posts
smartguy54321 said:
it's lighter than cast iron, and the supra weighs too much. i figure if i can get some aluminum parts made for the engine bay i could save around 100 pounds altogether.
Maybe more than 100 pounds.

But
Normaly I weigh more than 240 pounds. Not fat.
Therefore for me it doesnt matter, wheather I have aluminium block or so.
I want a fast car not a racing machine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts