Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 2jz GE non-vvti and I don’t like how the intake manifold goes over the engine. Is it possible to change that? This is what my engine bay looks like now, I’d just like to clean it up a bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
From a technical point of few it is definitely doable.
There a various companies like Hypertune and the likes who offer front facing intake manifolds (FFIM) for the 2JZ-GE engine.
However, those manifolds were mainly designed for boosted (turbo) applications in my opinion.
Just google „Hypertune 2JZ-GE“ and have a look.

With NA engines the runner length as well as plenum volume is quite an important factor. The runners with those aftermarket manifolds are quite short if you were to compare it with the stock plenum/runners.

In contrast to that, there are few people that have gone this way on a NA GE engine. There used to be a guy „gfallon“ who did it. Unfortunately there are no infos about power figures after the intake swap. Scroll to the bottom of this thread and have a look:

I would be interested about this topic myself. Done quite a few things to my NA motor, including porting the stock intake and throttle body. In the end I couldn‘t convince myself to go FFIM yet.

Maybe someone can chime and shed some light on this topic for NA engines.

Regards,
Herb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From a technical point of few it is definitely doable.
There a various companies like Hypertune and the likes who offer front facing intake manifolds (FFIM) for the 2JZ-GE engine.
However, those manifolds were mainly designed for boosted (turbo) applications in my opinion.
Just google „Hypertune 2JZ-GE“ and have a look.

With NA engines the runner length as well as plenum volume is quite an important factor. The runners with those aftermarket manifolds are quite short if you were to compare it with the stock plenum/runners.

In contrast to that, there are few people that have gone this way on a NA GE engine. There used to be a guy „gfallon“ who did it. Unfortunately there are no infos about power figures after the intake swap. Scroll to the bottom of this thread and have a look:

I would be interested about this topic myself. Done quite a few things to my NA motor, including porting the stock intake and throttle body. In the end I couldn‘t convince myself to go FFIM yet.

Maybe someone can chime and shed some light on this topic for NA engines.

Regards,
Herb
Thank you for the information! I’ll see what I can find.

·
From the land down under
4,325 Posts
I installed an FFIM on my NA-T, and noticed absolutely no discernable difference, in regard to torque or spool.

I am unsure if the same observations would be made with an non turbo, but the difference would be negligible I would expect, but it will make changing your spark plugs SO much easier :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
This is good info. Changing to a FFIM on an N/A will kill the bottom end power, but it will look great. Don't choose looks over power. Spend the money elsewhere (and it would be a lot of money).

Al

·
From the land down under
4,325 Posts
The ACIS system is one of the best intake manifold designs for an NA engine.

It is effectively a variable length intake runner design, and gives you the best of both worlds. Maximum torque down low, and maximum power up top.

The only reason to change it would be for an NA-T set up, or for a show car to bling up the engine bay with an FFIM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts