Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I need your help (I would have done a search, but it has been disabled) I am soon to have a t78, clutch, fuel, etc, but I'm trying to decide where to spend the rest of my budget: cams and cam gears vs that new SP intake manifold. Performance wise, it seems I could get 50 hp out of the cams/ cam gears, and MAYBE 40 horses out of the manifold. Total prices are fairly comparable. But the intake looks nasty! Is installing the manifold a big (and costly) deal?
Thanks!
Paul C

·
3,148 Posts
With cams you will increase the spoolup time. I don't think the intake will change the spoolup much. I would go with the intake where I have about the same top end, but more bottom end.

Later, Steve

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The intake will do nothing for you. Neither will you need the cam gears if you get cams - they are dialed in for you from HKS. A pair of 264s will complement that turbo nicely, if you don't mind trading 150-200 rpms lag for 50hp.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brad, Steve, and Walser--thank you all for the expert advice, and I do mean expert.
Is it really true that if you get cams, you don't need the cam gears? I wasn't aware, and that advice just save me about $350 (at least)
Paul

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hgihly doubt you could see 40 rwhp out of ANY intake manifold

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can tune the HKS cams with cam gears, but it's not necessary, IMO. The stock exhaust cam, yes: 3 - 4 degrees retard is necessary to reach optimal power. The stock exhaust cam is advanced from the factory to lower emissions. The HKS cams have taken this into acct, and although you can adjust your curve slightly, you will get no appreciable power with cam gear adjustment. Tuning has shown a slight (1-5 hp) increase in top end with a noticeable drop in low end, and vice-versa. We found that leaving them at nominal was the best setup, IMO.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Walser said:
You can tune the HKS cams with cam gears, but it's not necessary, IMO. The stock exhaust cam, yes: 3 - 4 degrees retard is necessary to reach optimal power. The stock exhaust cam is advanced from the factory to lower emissions. The HKS cams have taken this into acct, and although you can adjust your curve slightly, you will get no appreciable power with cam gear adjustment. Tuning has shown a slight (1-5 hp) increase in top end with a noticeable drop in low end, and vice-versa. We found that leaving them at nominal was the best setup, IMO.
Thanks Wals (can I call you Wals?)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Walser said:
The intake will do nothing for you. Neither will you need the cam gears if you get cams - they are dialed in for you from HKS. A pair of 264s will complement that turbo nicely, if you don't mind trading 150-200 rpms lag for 50hp.
aye aye..... I second that.

take care,
nils

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do any experts think the 272s are too aggressive (I would have done a search, but you know.....)
thanks in advance

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I say get the manifold... and than get a set of 272s and a T88 to take advantage of it ;)

·
Got Juice?
468 Posts
So a set of 264's on a T72/76 or HKS T51R KAI is not the right setup? How much difference in HP is there between the 264's and 272's on bigger turbo's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts