Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello !
my name is eddie. we buildt here in berlin/germany a t78 supra, with a stage 5 kit like horsepowerfreaks sell it. my question is: when make it sense to buy a new intake manifold???? we allready tuned the old one. it is bigger inside and polished!
which intake manifold would be the best choise?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
depends what are your rwhp goals i belive its stated(not 100% sure) that over 650 or 750 rwhp a larger volume intake manifold helps .

there are a few god ones to go with
PHR
HPF
sound performance
veliside
WOTM

all good units all high quality.

·
Not compensating at all
185 Posts
That all depends where you want your RPM to be at? Ranger is corret about the RWHP goals question, but using the t78 I would think an upgraded manifold would be ok (especially with a big single turbo). Valvetrain changes are up to you.

·
Banned
942 Posts
We will be testing out the Virtual Works intake manifold on our HPF Supra as soon as we get it (it should arrive within a week).

At this point I'm only going off what I've heard and seen from a few separate sources. Some of the fastest Supras right now are running it, and I believe their great numbers have a lot to do with this manifold. I've also spoken with people that have tuned the AEM in these cars and they had to significantly increase fuel to compensate for the increased air-flow through the motor.

I would like to believe (based on this information) this is the best intake manifold on the market and that's why we switched to it for our Supra. I do NOT believe that this manifold will benefit you if you have under 700rwhp. Anything over that number I believe it will help and as you try to make more power it will help you even more as the stock manifold does pose a restriction at those power levels.

We will shortly know if what several people have told me is accurate and I will gladly publish my findings positive or negative. I would like to believe am am hoping that we can make 1000rwhp without NOS with a simple T88H kit, Greddy 4-row, 272 cams, AEM EMS and the VIrtual Works intake manifold. Of course I won't know for sure until a couple more months. If I do, this entire setup will be a simple bolt on package that anyone could buy (complete with a map). Maybe we'll make that our stage 7 kit. :)

Take care,
Chris.

·
Registered
581 Posts
ChrisBergemann said:

We will shortly know if what several people have told me is accurate and I will gladly publish my findings positive or negative. I would like to believe am am hoping that we can make 1000rwhp without NOS with a simple T88H kit, Greddy 4-row, 272 cams, AEM EMS and the VIrtual Works intake manifold. Of course I won't know for sure until a couple more months. If I do, this entire setup will be a simple bolt on package that anyone could buy (complete with a map). Maybe we'll make that our stage 7 kit. :)

Take care,
Chris.
Been there done that

9,[email protected]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow! chris for me it is not so interesting to have too much horsepower, but i need him for races on our nice german highways. and i must say a t88h is tooooooooooooooo laggy for races. i think this is a turbo for dynos or 1/4 miles. will a bigger manifold help me to put my lag down?????

·
Not compensating at all
185 Posts
If your worried about lag and large turbos, may I suggest a stroker kit? (JUN or Custom).
What i'm wondering is what kind of racing are you trying to do? Because the T88H isn't really ideal for the 1/4 being it's a topend built turbo. If you are looking to take the car to the Autobahn and making high speed runs then a huge turbo is your best bet.
Let us know exactly what you want to accomplish and then we can help with the build-up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok! the car must be able to drive very fast on the highway and racetracks! i have the whole t78 turbo kit, a titan fuelupgrade with 850cc injectors, a greddy 4row, aem ems with ALL sensors, tuned inatke manifold, hks cams272, unorthodox cam gears und the pulleyset, 1,6mm hks stopper, rps clutch and flywheel, tuned cylinder head and much more. a friend has the t88h kit with fuelupgrade (850cc). this car is fast but it has toooooo much lag! i need the power from the big turbo and he must pull from 3500 with more than 1,0 bar.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
I saw go with the ADFX intake manifold on my car. Custom longer intake runner, port matched with the head, and my numbers prove it flows like a MOTHER!

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Sorry guys... but how does making XXXXXXXrwhp "prove" the intake manifold is making any gain whatsoever. I'm not saying the intake manifold doens't make power.. I'm just skeptical of any significant gains.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
racing fan said:
Sorry guys... but how does making XXXXXXXrwhp "prove" the intake manifold is making any gain whatsoever. I'm not saying the intake manifold doens't make power.. I'm just skeptical of any significant gains.
I understand what your saying, but at least in my case, where you have an automatic that is reaching numbers that even 6sp's are having problems with, you have to start looking into the mods and what they are doing to help with the power.

But don't worry, a little birdie tells me there will be dyno testing done on all the available intake manifolds out there for the MK4, but you havent heard that from me. :)

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
MK4LIFE said:
I understand what your saying, but at least in my case, where you have an automatic that is reaching numbers that even 6sp's are having problems with, you have to start looking into the mods and what they are doing to help with the power.

But don't worry, a little birdie tells me there will be dyno testing done on all the available intake manifolds out there for the MK4, but you havent heard that from me. :)
I look forward to the testing.... and believe the adfx will do well after talking to lateef aobut it last night:) Talked about your car too:) hehe

·
Banned
942 Posts
The T88H does indeed have some lag, and even more lag if you combine it with 272 cams. I don't believe it's too laggy in a 6-speed car as long as you don't road race, but would be too laggy in an auto if you're not using nitrous to get out of the hole.

With pump gas, you're not going to realize the full benefit of a huge turbo of any sort. The larger turbos are way more efficient at the higher boost levels. They will provide cooler air at lower boost levels but the rpm you must achieve to get into boost is higher making them boring on pump gas. The T88H tyipcally makes full boost by 5,000rpm.

The Virtual Works intake manifold should definitely be an improvement over the stock manifold from what I've heard. The way they judge whether it works or not is because after they install it, they have to richen up the fuel map roughly 13% to compensate for the extra flow. This is what I've heard from one person, so take it as such.

If it is true, I think a simple T88H kit with this manifold could make 1,000rwhp easy. It would just be such a simple cost effective way to do it. I get my Virtual Works manifold early next week and we can finally start working on our HPF Supra again.

Take care,
Chris.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
dont know but i have read some negative things about adfx lately .best to check on them first.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@chris bergem.#
and would you say that it would be interesting for me and my (your stage 5 kit t78greedy) car to build a sport manifold into it? could the turbo spool faster with these manifold?

·
Banned
942 Posts
popoff. There are a lot of things that can make your turbo spool faster. I don't believe the intake is one of them. The intake will help mid-range and top end power but not help low-end.

Here are some things you can do, however.

1) With the AEM, we made the T78 spool quite a bit quicker by advancing timing in the spool area and keeping the fuel mixtures lean going into boost.

2) Many people have boost leaks they don't realize they have. I recommend you make a pressure tester. I simply used a 3" plumbing end cap and tapped and screwed an air fitting in the end of it. Then I take off an intercooler pipe and install this in its place. Then I turn the air-compressor down to about 40psi and plug it in. You will feel and hear air coming out from all of the leaks. Every once in awhile when I do this the engine is in a perfect spot where both intake and exhaust valves are open and this air will go out the exhaust. If this occurs, simply crank your motor slightly and then it will hold the pressure.

3) Make sure your wastegate or BOV isn't leaking. This is common. The wastegate gasket can leak under pressure and it can leak from inside. The BOV can also leak, but you can use #2 to test this.

4) Make sure your wastegate is not opening until it has to. This can also be adjusted in the AEM. You need to play with the wastegate duty map. If you set the threshold too sharp you'll get flutter, but you can definitely help spool if the wastegate isn't bleeding off boost when it doesn't need to.

5) Take your housings off your turbo and make sure you don't have any damage to the either wheel. This will also slow spool.

The T78 in my supra made over 800rwhp and smoked the tires at 4,200rpm in 1st - 4th gears. It had very little lag. That's why we're going larger.

Take care,
Chris.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts