Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Still a n00b
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i just got the injen intake for my 5-speed n/a supra. i installed everything and it seems like its installed correctly. all the hoses are in place, looks exactly like its supposed to. everything is attached.

the problem is that when im in any gear other than first, at a low rpm (such as 2500), and then floor it my car acts funny. like in an automatic, when you floor it, the trany downshifts n then u get more power. ie. you're in second. you floor it, ur rpm goes higher and youre in first gear. it kind of feels like that except if feels as if my clutch is not engaged fully. if i floor it at 2500 rpms, the rpm goes to 3000-6000 rpms fast, n then if i let go of the accelerator, it quickly returns to abou 3000-3500 rpms. is this normal? it feels wrong and i feel a loss of power. it also feels as if im messing up my clutch. and when i popped my hood after testing it, there was a bad smell. almost as if something was burning. hopefully this makes sense. thanks for any help in advance.

·
Still a n00b
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i jus described the problem to one of my friends. he said that my clutch might be slipping... donno about that one. how do i reset the ecu?

·
Is it turbo??
760 Posts
you pull the efi fuse. search for it on mkiv or here on the forums. i know somewhere someone has a pic.. how many miles do you have on your car??

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
sounds like it's time for a new clutch

·
Registered
199 Posts
Definately a worn out clutch disk. resetting the ecu will not do anything to solve it, get ur clutch disk replaced.

adi

·
Still a n00b
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the information guys. to answer your questions, i have 104,500 miles on the car. the clutch was replaced by the last owner somewhere around 55,000 miles on it. another one of my friends said that it could be the MAF. I'm going to uninstall the intake and then re-install it. also, before the intake, the car never had this kind of problem. and any preference on what kind of clutch disk i should get?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just get the stock clutch. may be the clutch was already on its way out and with the added power from the intake (although minimal) may have aggravated the situation.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
The6SpeedSupraMan said:
thanks for all the information guys. to answer your questions, i have 104,500 miles on the car. the clutch was replaced by the last owner somewhere around 55,000 miles on it. another one of my friends said that it could be the MAF. I'm going to uninstall the intake and then re-install it. also, before the intake, the car never had this kind of problem. and any preference on what kind of clutch disk i should get?
I put an ACT street clutch in my NA supra when ever i had it. It was great.

·
Still a n00b
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
adi2009 said:
Just get the stock clutch. may be the clutch was already on its way out and with the added power from the intake (although minimal) may have aggravated the situation.

yea i think thats what it was. i think that im either going to get the stock clutch or the act clutch. thanks for all the help you guys.

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
Man, thats a great price for an install of the clutch Anyplace that does clutch jobs will do. Its not rocket science to put it in, you can even do it yourself. Dont forget to resurface you fly wheel and make sure you get new throwout bearings. Your problem is a bad clutch for sure. I use a ACT clutch with a modify street disk in my N/A 5-speed. Works perfect, will allow me to spin my tires from 1st to 3rd grear.

·
2JZ-Phantom
2,117 Posts
I live in Davis, Cali. I am a Full time student there and work weekends so I cab't help you, sorry. But you will be fine taking to the pros. Plus dropping the tranny with the right tools to get those high bolts are a bitch. Trust me you dont want to drop the tranny if you dont have too. It is a striaght forward job and you got a good price for the install. Is the shop you got price quote for a clutch shop?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts