Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the search function was disabled, so thought I'd ask the forums....
I'm going to get an intake for my 93.5 NA auto and I'm thinking about either the Accord Intake or the HKS Super Mega Flow for 1993-95 Supra Non Turbo.
Is there a signifigant difference between the two?
Any advantage to the Accord vs. the HKS?
Does one filter last longer before needing to be replaced?

The Accord intake is a lot less expensive, but some people have said it's a tight fit or had to saw it...

Any feedback you can give would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniel:D

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
I chose the Accord pipe because I really don't think there is that much of a difference, especially with our NA cars. Some magazine did a test a while back with different air filters, and sure the HKS flows very well, but it didn't filter as well as others. I believe the Apex came up on top in that test. Here's the test. Probably a good combo would be the Accord pipe+Apex filter? The Accord pipe fits fine without cutting. Your choice.

BTW, are you going to the SF Meet on March 30?
http://supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30534

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eeexcellent

Thanks for the information! I'll order the Accord pipe today. (I'll get by GF to breakdown the Nihonjin of the tests) Then all I gotta do is get the adaptor!

I was thinking about going to the meet, but last time I was one of 2 NA's, and the only NA at the Fast and the Furious meet at the great mall. (Well Ben's Viper is technically NA, but SHEESH!)
If more Na's are gonna show, it'd be worth it for me to go. Gonna have to clean the Headlights the weekend before then...:D

Daniel
(saving pennies for a Turbo kit)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Just know we'll be surrounded by 'turbotalk' all day.:D

Hey I was shopping around for the Apexi filter, but didn't come across it.. any ideas where I can get it from?

PS MKIVsoopra How in the heck can you stand SF streets?! I occasionally go the SF Jtown and take Golden Gate back to the Fwy.. every 30 feet it's like 'BRACE for IMPACT!' with all the stoopid potholes/Metal plates!

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Mr. Sparkle said:
Hey I was shopping around for the Apexi filter, but didn't come across it.. any ideas where I can get it from?
i got mine from nopionline.com. best price for the apexi filter system i've seen.

http://www.nopionline.com/partdetails.asp?ProductID=148668

part number is 948+2596. its for a mkiii turbo. assuming that you have a 93-96 supra na, this filter w/ adaptor will bolt perfectly with the exception of longer bolts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah I see. Thanks for the info. Photos always help. My supra is 93.5 Auto.

I just ordered the parts, and the filter is in the mail:D

But unfortunately they're backordered on the accord piping until the end of the month...:( I should get the filter in time for the meet though. That'll be cool.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Where can I buy the Accord pipe and what year of the accord should I buy?

From looking at the pictures, the accord pipe only has one small pipe at the straight end of the pipe. The stock pipe has two small pipes, one at the straight end near the MAF and one at close by the throttle body. One is use for the crank case intake and the other is use for something else. Please explain more regarding this issue.

Finally, how much power did this mod make? Keep in mind, the accord pipe is stainless steel which conduct heat much better than the stock plastic one. Hot intake air could damper any realized gain. Any comment out there?

Thanx.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
I have a 1996 NA 5 speed and was wondering where and if I can get an HKS Super Mega Flow intake for it. Any suggestions...think this is the best way to go? Thx

·
road hazard
452 Posts
supraman78 said:
I have a 1996 NA 5 speed and was wondering where and if I can get an HKS Super Mega Flow intake for it. Any suggestions...think this is the best way to go? Thx
you can get the HKS Super Mega Flow from mvp motorsports. just click on the banner on the top, go to 93-98 supras, and then click on intakes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does the Na HKS intake(mega flow) change the sound over the stock one? Just wondering... and does it replace the entire rubber piping? Does anyone have a pic of what the intake looks like?
Thanks,
Shane

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
toysupra1 said:

you can get the HKS Super Mega Flow from mvp motorsports. just click on the banner on the top, go to 93-98 supras, and then click on intakes.

Problem with that is, when you look at the item on mvp they say it will not fit 1996-1998 supra NA's (which I have a 96 so needless to say...problem). I was wondering what the difference was, if any, and how much that whole system was you have in your pics (intake filter, adaptor, intake pipe replacement)?

Also, what is the Accord pipe?

·
road hazard
452 Posts
supraman78 said:
Problem with that is, when you look at the item on mvp they say it will not fit 1996-1998 supra NA's (which I have a 96 so needless to say...problem). I was wondering what the difference was, if any, and how much that whole system was you have in your pics (intake filter, adaptor, intake pipe replacement)?

Also, what is the Accord pipe?
i think the mkiv NAs from years 93-96 have square MAFs and the NAs from 97-98 have round MAFs. if you do have the square MAF, then i'm almost positive you can use the HKS mega flow intake from MVP motorsports.

all the items put into my intake system cost around $200. that includes the apexi intake and adaptor, piping, silicone couplings, etc. the piping is made for an 94+ v6 accord.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What the..? okaaay..

In a bizarre twist of fate, I recieved the Accord Piping today and NOT the Apex'i Filter! I WAS going to just bolt on the filter and wait on the piping... Since I have the piping I may just intall the Pipe.

Were there any parts needed aside from what came with the piping?

How long does it take to install? Any special tools needed?

Hey if there are any Bay Area Supras that did this, I'd be willing to buy you a few beers for some help. Or give you any game published by Eidos... heh heh..

Daniel

·
road hazard
452 Posts
Re: What the..? okaaay..

Mr. Sparkle said:
In a bizarre twist of fate, I recieved the Accord Piping today and NOT the Apex'i Filter! I WAS going to just bolt on the filter and wait on the piping... Since I have the piping I may just intall the Pipe.

Were there any parts needed aside from what came with the piping?

How long does it take to install? Any special tools needed?

Hey if there are any Bay Area Supras that did this, I'd be willing to buy you a few beers for some help. Or give you any game published by Eidos... heh heh..

Daniel
aside from the air filter, accord pipe, silicone couplings, vacuum hoses, and hose clamps, you're all set to go.

installation is easy. it shouldn't take longer than an hour. it took me probably 30 minutes max. for tools, i just used a socket and wrench set and thats all i needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts