Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an intake filter on last night and it sounds like a BOV... Im pretty sure that is becuase air is coming out of it..

Is this becuase the stock BOV is not functioning properly.. and should I get a bov quickly becuase of this?

also any suggestions on sound/performance BOV...

Thanks!

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
It's working perfectly fine.

The conical filters allow you to hear the stock bov and turbos more.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Yep mine is the same way, I put a cone filter on and those ported/polished twins.. and I can hear the turbos and the stock bov quite a lot better... sounds nice, now I just wish It was an HKS SS BOV :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
surge

I seriously doubt putting a filter on will cause compressor surge. Compressor surge happens when you let off the throttle and you feel the car jerk and basically like shutting off for a second. If you don't feel anything, don't worry about the sound. The OEM airbox muffles the turbos and BOV. Now that it is open, you pretty much have open air straight to the ultra-fast spinning turbine wheel and the BOV. It should make a "Ssss" sound when the turbos are spooled and a long gentle "SHHuhhh" sound when you let off after having a decent amount of boost. The car made these noises before, you just couldn't hear it because of the airbox. If you didn't hear them with an aftermarket air filter, there would be a problem. Compressor surge will usually be accompanied by a split second where you hear very little exhaust sound and the car acts like it hit a brick wall. Again, only for a split second. It does not continue to occur unless you keep messing with the throttle violently on an improperly tuned car. Then your car would look like it is galloping. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know.. out of all the forums I have been member of.. being part of the Supra Family is so much better..

Thanks for the help guys

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seriously doubt putting a filter on will cause compressor surge. Compressor surge happens when you let off the throttle and you feel the car jerk and basically like shutting off for a second. If you don't feel anything, don't worry about the sound. The OEM airbox muffles the turbos and BOV. Now that it is open, you pretty much have open air straight to the ultra-fast spinning turbine wheel and the BOV. It should make a "Ssss" sound when the turbos are spooled and a long gentle "SHHuhhh" sound when you let off after having a decent amount of boost. The car made these noises before, you just couldn't hear it because of the airbox. If you didn't hear them with an aftermarket air filter, there would be a problem. Compressor surge will usually be accompanied by a split second where you hear very little exhaust sound and the car acts like it hit a brick wall. Again, only for a split second. It does not continue to occur unless you keep messing with the throttle violently on an improperly tuned car. Then your car would look like it is galloping.

Hey got a Q for u. My HKS BOV sometimes blow out air nice and sound good but sometimes it blow out slowly and sound like it cant breath and chocking. IS that compressor surge??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts