Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MODS-please move this thread if it should be in "dyno tuning", but anyway,
for those who use before/after intecooler temp probes-what's your temps you usually see at cruising and wot? how close to ambient temp do your numbers(temps) come to?what's a good kit and where to buy?-something with fast reaction time. thanks, Rob NJ.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
mydawgsupra94tt said:
MODS-please move this thread if it should be in "dyno tuning", but anyway,
for those who use before/after intecooler temp probes-what's your temps you usually see at cruising and wot? how close to ambient temp do your numbers(temps) come to?what's a good kit and where to buy?-something with fast reaction time. thanks, Rob NJ.
I used to have fast-reacting open-element probes after the turbo and after the FMIC. I don't have the exact numbers handy (have them at home in my tuning notebook) but temps would hit about 270F out of the turbo at 30 PSI, then drop to about 12 degrees above ambient temperature post IC (Greddy "3-row" with factory ducting in place). This was on a 3-gear pull at ~58F ambient temperature.

BTW, don't waste your money on the SP Engineering IC temp kit. I originally bought one of those and found that the probes require about 30 seconds to read ~90% of the actual temperature change. Virtually useless for a turbo car that is only in boost for a few seconds at a time.

·
2jz powered
1,649 Posts
^^ What are you using now to monitor IC temps?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boost Junkie said:
BTW, don't waste your money on the SP Engineering IC temp kit. I originally bought one of those and found that the probes require about 30 seconds to read ~90% of the actual temperature change. Virtually useless for a turbo car that is only in boost for a few seconds at a time.
thanks for the heads up :), about SP Eng. kit, i was looking at it yesterday-lol, maybe somebody else would chim in??

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
I used to have fast-reacting open-element probes after the turbo and after the FMIC. I don't have the exact numbers handy (have them at home in my tuning notebook) but temps would hit about 270F out of the turbo at 30 PSI
That's 110% compressor efficiency...should be more like 370F @ 30 PSI.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
SoarerTT said:
^^ What are you using now to monitor IC temps?
Nothing now. I had a Heraeus temperature monitoring system ($1700 kit that they built for tractor pullers, race teams, and anyone else they could sell it to), but after a couple of years I took it off the car. The primary purpose was to monitor EGT (probe on each header runner) but that info wasn't really useful, so I removed the entire system, including the charge air temp monitoring part.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
How fancy do you want the temperature display to be? Permanently mounted or hand-held? The sensors themselves are simple and relatively inexpensive, but the data display and signal handling can get expensive. Look around at www.omega.com in the temperature section to see lots of "industrial" options for temp measurement, display, logging, etc.

Instead of using such large, heavy temp sensor like in the SP unit which are then slow to respond, just using simple thin wire thermocouples, RTD's, or thermistors would make them very fast. Then a simple, relatively inexpensive hand-held device like this http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH21_22_23&Nav=teml04 can display the temp from two sensors and save min, max, etc type of data.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I turned the widebandO2.com business over to a friend a couple years ago and my memory is a bit foggy on the wiring, but here is my recollection: If you are logging to a laptop or PDA on the older controller (like the earlier model units you and I have) you connect it to the flat 4-pin connector that normally goes to the display. A cable came with the kit to allow this connection. If you want to feed the signal to an AEM or other logger, you use one of the 2 non-power/ground pins on the Power plug, which is an analog output. I don't have a early model manual here, but they may still be on the FJO web site. You're probably looking for a manual of approximately Revision 3 vintage. Let me know if you don't find what you need and I'll dig around at home to see if I can find a manual.

mydawgsupra94tt said:
Steve :), off topic, back in the day i got FJO from you, what pin do i use from FJO
4 pin connector to connect to my dattalogger? color wise that is-there are 2 pins they list as -legacy fjo- and - 1-0 volts curve, thanks, Rob NJ.

http://www.fjoracing.com/products/WBAFR/docs/MWI0003 WBAFR manual rev G.pdf

page 3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts