Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever experimented with a puller fan on the stock intercooler? I've seen them on MR2 intercoolers. I was wondering if it would be beneficial.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Someone had one installed at the recent S. Florida meet.
It was a 1993.5 BPU that dyno'd at 403rwhp.

Toyomoto did the mod for him.
Thats all I know.

Anyone else have more info on that car. I know there was quite a crowd around it, with everyone trying to get a good look at the fan setup.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can pretty much install a puller fan onto anything (oil cooler, trans cooler, IC, etc.).

Stock SMIC is very small, and can only host a small fan....which in return pulls about 2000 CFM on a good day......and still uses almost 15-20 AMPs from your charging system.

Now, you should ask yourself, when do you want your IC to cool the intake charge.......at high speed/boost, right? Anything over 30 MPH, and the incoming air speed is faster/colder than anything a small fan could give you. Over 30 MPH, and forget about it, air flow will almost detach the poor fan sitting on the back of the SMIC.

Stock IC is designed so that the slits on the wheel well cover help draw the air thru the IC more efficiently, so placing a fan inbetween might actually hurt your intake charge temps.

While you are stopped, you can use it.....but you'd be idling at that time, so that defeats the purpose. If you are racing (drag racing for example), you want to launch in boost, and can use a switch to cool the charge down.....but you also get the car up to 30-40MPH in no time, and (in most cases) are forced to use low boost off the line to hook up, so that kinda defeats the purpose as well.

MR2 has it on there because motor is in the trunk, and there is very scarse air flow back there.....some Porsche cars use fans on ICs too.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any more comments

Does anyone have anything positive to say about the idea? If not I think I've been convinced not to get one.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I didn't mean to scare you away or anything :)

Another point I forgot, the stock belt-driven fan has a clutch on it, which disables it from turning at speeds over 35 mph. The incoming air pressure thru the front end is so great, that fan gets pushed in towards the engine and stops spinning, until the speed comes back down to under 30-35. This means there is no need for a fan in order to cool down the engine at speeds over 35.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Monster, are you talking about the big fan in front of the engine??? That it's not necessary and not being used after 35-40 mph??? If so, can you somehow disconnect it and use an electrical fan or something to cool you car at idle?? Save on power and weight??

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock fan is OFF over 35mph. Yeah, thats what people do to save weight.....dual electric fan kit for the radiator. Stock fan cools much better at idle, pulling some 5000 CFM and no current.....where dual fans pull combined 4000CFM and 20 AMPs.

You do save some 15 Lbs of rotational weight with electric ones tho, and it cleans up engine bay rather nicely.....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uhm, where did you read that the stock fan shuts down at speeds? I definatly never heard that before.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A fan that has a "fan clutch" attached to it acts just like a 6-speed clutch, and when applied pressure on (air pressure in this case) it disengages from the turning centerline of the motor.

Our stock fan doesn't turn with the engine at speeds over 35 mph, or whenever enough airflow is present to engage the fan clutch. As a matter of fact, no stock belt/crank-driven fan out there turns with the motor over a certain speed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
this is an old thread but i was thinking of the same thing.

anyone with positive thoughts about this one?

i'm thinking that with a fan operating when stationary/slow speed it will cool the intercooler down so that when you are boosting in a drag the intercooler starts off already cold(er) and so is more effecient when you most need it - rather than waiting for you to travel a few hunderd meters at >35mph in order to cool it down.

if the fan doesn't do any good then why bother with a radiator fan? isn't the intercooler's job like the radiators ie a heat pump.

having said that i don't hear of many supras withs stock intercooler fans so i'm guessing it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

if anyone has tried an electric fan on the stock intercooler pls post a reply - did it make a noticeable difference?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe i'm the current owner of that car. It had a fan on the intercooler when I got it and the carfax says it was in florida for a few years. I say had an intercooler becuase the first thing I did to the car was remove the fan to increase airflow as MONSTER outlined above. It was a Spal fan mounted on the front of the IC. Interesting to note though, it was wired with a pressure switch so it was only on when under boost.

hyboost said:
Someone had one installed at the recent S. Florida meet.
It was a 1993.5 BPU that dyno'd at 403rwhp.

Toyomoto did the mod for him.
Thats all I know.

Anyone else have more info on that car. I know there was quite a crowd around it, with everyone trying to get a good look at the fan setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts