Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a FMIC versus the stock location? Does anyone make left and right kits?

Thanks,

David

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
Stock Intercooler

Factory intecooler will not support a small single let alone a big single turbo conversion. A FMIC is a must when upgrading the stock twins.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what about a Greddy or other stock location kit?

B

·
0 Posts
The advantage of an FMIC is its size and its ability to transfer more heat out of the air that you are about to force into the engine. And due to its size there is no way to mount it on the side. Plus there is alot more surface area in the front.

According to www.mkiv.com the stock IC is very efficent for its size and preforms better than most aftermarket IC's. And with stock turbos it is best to stick with the stock IC. There is little to no gain when using a large FMIC with the small stock twins. Sometimes there is an increase in lag due to the fact that the small twins don't have enough power to push all that extra air.

Hope that helps you with your question.

Erik

·
supraman
632 Posts
Good answer Erik! I was infact wanting to know if it is worth upgrading my stock intercooler to a HKS type-S. If there is negligible difference in torque and horsepower with stock turbos I'd stick with the stock IC.
Thanks!:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
If your stock IC is in bad condition upgrading to a FMIC will give you noticeable gains however. Or you can just invest a few hours into cleaning up your stock IC. Another forum member cleaned out his stock IC and picked up 3mph trap speeds.

·
supraman
632 Posts
hey good point! Can you please tell me how to clean the stock intercooler? I have no idea! Do we have to remove it and is it difficult to do this?:)

B

·
0 Posts
My TT only has 14000 Km on it. And the IC is sparkling clean. After reading mkiv.com (one of the greatest sites on earth, right along side this one) I decided to stick with my stock unless (or until) I go single.

Randy-
Not sure how you are supposed to clean it but I would take it out just to make sure I did a good job. Don't know how dirty they can get inside but I would want to see, just to make sure. What ever you do to clean it make sure you just use solvets for cleaning it. You don't want to bend the fins. Be careful with it. And if there are any bent fins try to straighten them.

Thats what I would do anyway.

Erik

·
supraman
632 Posts
WOW! Erik yours just done 14000k? How did you get one with such low milage? Also my car is at 18000k. Can you tell me do Japs use these cars much? How many k's do they do a year? Cause even when I bought my car it had done only 14000k? I thought this was strange for a 93/6 car? Although the interior was real new with original mats and fittings. What do you think?:)

B

·
0 Posts
Not strange at all. If your Supra was owned by a Japanese person before you got your hands on it. Driving in japan sucks. Roads are small and there is alot of traffic. Most rely on the mass transit systems for day to day travels. Japanese take very good care of thier cars. Weekly washing and waxing and they all clean under the hood, not just on sports cars but on mini vans and suv's. Since everyone lives in small houses they use thier cars as a social status. Seems most other contries use a home as a social status guage.

I have had mine for about nine months now, had 9000km on it when I got it. Previous owner was an older guy that did not drive it much. The trick to getting low km on a car is to pay alot of money. Still wondering how much I want to put into this car. I have considered saving up and trading it in for a brand new one. Just so I could be the only owner.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
HKS Type S

I'm running the HKS Type S FMIC. Very nice IC that will give you more power. MKIV tech data about sticking with the stock SMIC is dated. Don't get me wrong the factory IC is a good, but you will gain performance from a Type S or a Greddy 3 row IC.

B

·
0 Posts
Re: HKS Type S

Chucky Doll said:
I'm running the HKS Type S FMIC. Very nice IC that will give you more power. MKIV tech data about sticking with the stock SMIC is dated. Don't get me wrong the factory IC is a good, but you will gain performance from a Type S or a Greddy 3 row IC.
Thier FAQ is dated? It just came back up after being revised.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
It's dated if it still states that a factory twin turbo car will not benefit from a FMIC. Ask anyone that has upgraded to a FMIC and I'm sure they will tell you that there was definitely an increase in power.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So...

Is anyone here actually running an FMIC on stock TT setup?

And, has anyone used one of the stock location aftermarket kits?

Thanks,

David

W

·
0 Posts
The Greddy sidemount is the only stock location replacement IC that I am aware of. Flow rates have been done with it, and it did no better than stock. The stock IC takes up all the 2D surface area in it's location. A deeper core IC adds heat-absorption at an increasingly less-effective rate. It's surface area that you want for most apps. The Greddy sidemount might be good for a road race car on stock turbos, but that's about it.

With a stock turbo car, a front mount IC will help, and turbo lag will be increased a little. But you will be faster. The info on mkiv.com is a little dated - that earlier recommendation was done with advice from a very small sample set. Back then, a 550 rwhp Supra was cutting edge. I think we have like 10 of those in this town alone now. A good IC is the Greddy 3-row: it provides good stock turbo charge cooling but can be retrofitted for big turbo duty. SW, Clint and I run that one in our cars.

B

·
0 Posts
Walser said:
The Greddy sidemount is the only stock location replacement IC that I am aware of. Flow rates have been done with it, and it did no better than stock. The stock IC takes up all the 2D surface area in it's location. A deeper core IC adds heat-absorption at an increasingly less-effective rate. It's surface area that you want for most apps. The Greddy sidemount might be good for a road race car on stock turbos, but that's about it.

With a stock turbo car, a front mount IC will help, and turbo lag will be increased a little. But you will be faster. The info on mkiv.com is a little dated - that earlier recommendation was done with advice from a very small sample set. Back then, a 550 rwhp Supra was cutting edge. I think we have like 10 of those in this town alone now. A good IC is the Greddy 3-row: it provides good stock turbo charge cooling but can be retrofitted for big turbo duty. SW, Clint and I run that one in our cars.

Walser-
Thanks for the insite.

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
The main purpose of the Greddy sidemount IC kit is so that you can run NOS without blowing up the stock IC. The stock IC has endtanks made from plastic, hence easy destruction with NOS.

As far as running FMIC's with stock turbos...... I have an Apexi FMIC with stock twins, I noticed a small power gain in both TTC and seq modes.
The main point of the FMIC is to allow you to run higher boost without detonation (pinging.)

On really hot days, my car runs better with the FMIC than with stock IC, on cold nights the difference is negligable.

http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27946

read this post with Chip from SoCals results from a switch to a FMIC.

Ting

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
A left and right IC kit would make no sense on a supra b/c of the design of our engines. Creating a L&R kit would make a mess of the intake routing and result in the relocation of the battery.

Cars that use dual IC , ( 300zx, audi s4) all feature V-configuration engines.
The cost of developing and building a dual kit for our cars would exceed the cost of a good FMIC kit.

Now if you wanted to buy an addition stock IC and experiment, that might be interesting....good luck with the piping though :D

Ting

David (NJ) said:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a FMIC versus the stock location? Does anyone make left and right kits?

Thanks,

David
:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts