Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how an intercooler works, but would it actually help cool down the engine of a non-turbo Supra? I'm thinking of buying one, mainly because of the looks...but it would be nice if it helped cool down the engine on a hot summer day

Your thoughts?

·
WIPLSH / HWY KNG
408 Posts
An Intercooler is designed to cool the air down coming from a turbo or super charger. When air is compressed it is heated up, the intercooler cools the air charge down. The more efficient the intercooler the more/safer power you can make. I can't see it relay helping an NA engine very much.

You would be better off making a custom intake that would pull "cool" air from out side the engine compartment.

FMIC's do look cool:beer:

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
im with the above, an intercooler is extreemly unnecessary for non forced induction cars, however, as the above statement states, you should find a place inside the bumper or somewhere outside of the engine compartment for the intake filter, this will help you keep your intake temps down which helps make power, even on NA cars. put all that money you were thinking about spending, somewhere more effective.

·
Registered
13 Posts
FMICs do look fantastic and they work as silvergsx623 wrote. I only wanted to add.... please please don't do it. It's a looks good vs embarrasement equation.

1) If you have a FMIC with no turbo system on the car you will be laughed at either to your face or behind your back.
2) When people ask "hey, what turbo setup are you running" when they notice you're FMIC you will have to explain why you have one without a turbo and then you will be laughed at.

Its just good practice not to do it. Ever remember those fake intercooler looking cold air intakes? Everyone laughed at that idea and the people that bought 'em.

·
Hardtop Crew
6,384 Posts
wow in before pee pee smack

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
go turbo!!!!!!!!
I was actually thinking of going Turbo v8, but I need alot more money and time before that happens. The Canadian dollar seems to beslowly rising again, once it passes the US dollar Ill get serious about getting a Toyota V8 engine.

Only reason I want an intercooler is cause all the Supra grills look ugly as shit. (That and maybe make it act like a cold air intake.) I actually thought the intercoolers that I saw on everyones supras were grills. Just found out a few minutes ago that they weren't lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FMICs do look fantastic and they work as silvergsx623
Its just good practice not to do it. Ever remember those fake intercooler looking cold air intakes? Everyone laughed at that idea and the people that bought 'em.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, I could say it's just a grill. Most people in my town wouldn't know what an intercooler is anyways, but the supercharged Mustang/Viper owners and mechanics would laugh at me...

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
Intercooler will do NOTHING to a NA car and may actually reduce HP, not to mention make you look stupid.

·
killing bad guys
1,683 Posts
This is a joke. You have LOTS of research to do. Use the SEARCH button up top. Try clubna-t.com for starters.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not sure how an intercooler works, but would it actually help cool down the engine of a non-turbo Supra? I'm thinking of buying one, mainly because of the looks...but it would be nice if it helped cool down the engine on a hot summer day

Your thoughts?

ricer

Imo just photoshop one onto your supra and spread the pics on the internet..

Or start a lie about how you own a really nice supra. I hear Kirk is selling his...

but no it wont help you will be made fun of more than you already are.... And if your ability to spend money on your car revolves around the Canadian Dollar vs the US Dollar then you most likely shouldn't be trying to crazy mod a Supra which is back up by you owning an NA already.

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Yo yo, I jus gotz me an interfooler son, shit like suckz the airz out da atmosphere and dumps the frozen air in my engine and shit. You know my enginez can't be hot shun. :faint:

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
Dont do it.... you will laughed at way too much.... just put a grill in there if you want... alot cheaper and will look better spend the cash on the NA in other places that its needed

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,354 Posts
Just asking the question gets laughed at. LOL.

Maybe I should do it aswell. ????

Might look good?:chairshot :chairshot :chairshot :chairshot

·
Ahh GODZIRA!
790 Posts
Your car will lose throttle response. Plus its stupid. Thats all there is to it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There was a car that was for sale awhile ago and got bashed to shit on these forums when the OP posted the ad for us to check out...it was a black NA with a FMIC...if you find the thread you will see first hand on what people think...

It's one thing if you do something that looks horrible/questionable but actually does something performance wise, it's another thing when you do something that reduces performance, just to mimic something with higher performance...

That's part of the definition of "ricer" anyways, isn't it? :)

just buy kirks car...everyone is doing it!

·
Registered
92 Posts

Your thoughts?
Sig worthy...

·
Found E85 NOT in NJ!
5,253 Posts
There was a car that was for sale awhile ago and got bashed to shit on these forums when the OP posted the ad for us to check out...it was a black NA with a FMIC...if you find the thread you will see first hand on what people think...

It's one thing if you do something that looks horrible/questionable but actually does something performance wise, it's another thing when you do something that reduces performance, just to mimic something with higher performance...

That's part of the definition of "ricer" anyways, isn't it? :)

just buy kirks car...everyone is doing it!
:lol:

Go turbo THEN get an FMIC.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts