Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make a decision here and I need your help guys. Currently I have a stock 94 Supra TT and my stock intercooler is damaged. I am trying to decide should I get a Greddy 3 Row or just a Stock one. I am not planning to do any modification on the car, I will keep it all stock. Some one told me a while a go that if I install the Greddy 3 Row Intercooler on the stock car, then I will have more lag because turbo's will take longer to spool. But at the same time he told me that I would have a better cooling. So what do you guys thing should I get a stock intercooler or ugrade to Greddy 3 Row? Also I am concerned about emissions, I live in California and they are pretty strict here. Will I have any problems passing smog if I go with Greddy 3 Row?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If your plan for the car is to keep it completely stock, then go ahead with a new stock side mount. if you want to add a tasteful modification to it, that cools the air charge, gives you a bit of extra power and looks good under the hood - go with the Greddy 3 row. I dont regret it at all!

The 3 row compared to the stock side mount, I don't see much of a difference at all in spool up, but i definitely felt it on the seat of my pants. There arent any emissions issues with the front mount, that i know of - that's all cleaned up through the cat-converter. hope that helps, man. later

-jim

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
If you're going to keep the car stock, just stay with the SMIC. I dont think a 3 row will really make a a big difference on a stock Supra...and it costs a good amount also.

·
Ticketing Ricers Evrywhre
1,485 Posts
Agreed! If your not going to do anything to it, then just purchase a stock one. You can find them on ebay for a descent price. One question though, why keep it completely stock? Do at least some BPU upgrades. Something to let your engine breathe a little better. Intake, exhaust, DP, Turbo Timer, and a couple gauges at the minimum.

·
Team 10+ Year Member
3,510 Posts
Keeping the car completely stock? I was under the impression that stock Supras no long exist? Go with the FMIC b/c once the mod bug hits you.. then you will be happy you got it! :D

·
Space for sale
980 Posts
If you really truely believe you can keep that car stock, then get the stock SMIC..

but i know somewhere in the future you might want to mod it.. even a little bit- then you wont regret getting the 3-row.

The stock SMIC is good for atleast 400-450 HP.

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
That's easy, a brand new stock intercooler is almost 1200.00 so you can get a Greddy 3 row for almost that price.

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Doesn't GReddy or some other manufacturer make an upgraded side mount intercooler?

As far as whether to pay 1200$ for a brand new side mount or just getting a front mount, it's an even toss up IMO. A front mount will lower boost pressure a bit, not noticably, but will also cool the incoming air charge more = increase in power. But it obviously sounds like more power isn't an issue to you. So pretty much, it's whatever you want... a new side mount or a new front mount. Either way it will not affect your smog emmisions. :)

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
Craig King said:
Doesn't GReddy or some other manufacturer make an upgraded side mount intercooler?

As far as whether to pay 1200$ for a brand new side mount or just getting a front mount, it's an even toss up IMO. A front mount will lower boost pressure a bit, not noticably, but will also cool the incoming air charge more = increase in power. But it obviously sounds like more power isn't an issue to you. So pretty much, it's whatever you want... a new side mount or a new front mount. Either way it will not affect your smog emmisions. :)
The Greddy sidemount has been tested and flows less than the stock one from what I have heard and read.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts