Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I don't visit here often, so if you are seriously interested,
send me an e-mail w/big brakes in the subject. [email protected]

I've developed a MK2 big brake kit. It's to start production by early May 02.

Basically because it's a not a popular car for aftermarket performance parts and some of us MK2 owners want more stopping power.

Some MK3 owners I know asked if I could do a similar kit for the MK3.

I know there is a 13" setup already being offered. Considering 13" rotors are expensive, it's a good price.

Though I believe it requires 17" wheels.

For those with 16" wheels, the choices are limited.

The kit that would be developed would be a base kit.
Rotor adapters, caliper mounting brackets and assorted
hardware (read bolts).

These parts would be CNC machined out of T6061 aircraft
aluminum billets and anodized clear.

The calipers and rotors are to be purchased seperately. They
would be either Wilwood or Outlaw racing 4 piston billet
calipers, 1.75" diameter pistons. The outlaw version has
a two size staggered design.

The rotors would be standard 8 bolt design, available
through several sources. Size would be 12-3/16 x 1.25"
One can get them slotted and/or cross drilled. It's the buyer's
choice.

The reason for allowing the person to buy these items seperately, is 1) I'm not a business, 2) so I can not really
handle warranty, which if you buy them, you will get
the mfg warranty, 3) it allows one to buy a big brake kit
over time, without a large cash outlay.

I have not got an exact price from the CNC fabrication shop, but
based on the cost for the MK2 base kit, the MK3 base kit would be slightly more, *probably* around $350. Alot depends on the rotor adapter and the number of kits that are produced.

Again, if seriously interested contact me directly.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
so thats about $350 for everything needed, except the actual rotors, calipers, pads, and lines, correct? how much do you figure it would be with the above?

i would be interested i think, seem like a good idea. would it be possible to use the stock MKIII caliper, and then upgrade to aftermarket units?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct.

Wilwood's and Outlaw calipers range from $260-300/set.

1.25" straight vented rotors are approximately $90 each.
There are other rotors, directional vane, slotted, etc,
but naturally for more money.

Pads are minimum $40.

Although the MK3 rotors are quite large at 11.8", the
caliper pistons are not as large. Larger piston area
will yield greater brake torque.

Enraged said:
so thats about $350 for everything needed, except the actual rotors, calipers, pads, and lines, correct? how much do you figure it would be with the above?

i would be interested i think, seem like a good idea. would it be possible to use the stock MKIII caliper, and then upgrade to aftermarket units?

H

·
0 Posts
I'd like to make a suggestion. For ease of finding replacement parts, I'd suggest using the Wilwood 4-piston caliper #120-4998. This is the one w/ the 1.75 pistons. They can be had for just over $100 each. Mate those up to a Supra TT rotor...easy to find aftermarket slotted rotors. So, just have a caliper adapter made to mount the Wilwood to the MK3 hub.

Huxracing.com makes some for the front of the MKII MR2 to do exactly this (it's what I'm running). Maybe if we get him information about the MK3 hub, he could change his CAD design to produce the same adapter for the MK3 supra. His MR2 adapters are only $150....the other stuff can be purchased separately.

Just a suggestion,
Brett

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, these are the Wilwoods I would suggest.

The best price I've found is $120 at Summit.

Hullie said:
I'd like to make a suggestion. For ease of finding replacement parts, I'd suggest using the Wilwood 4-piston caliper #120-4998. This is the one w/ the 1.75 pistons. They can be had for just over $100 each. Mate those up to a Supra TT rotor...easy to find aftermarket slotted rotors. So, just have a caliper adapter made to mount the Wilwood to the MK3 hub.

Huxracing.com makes some for the front of the MKII MR2 to do exactly this (it's what I'm running). Maybe if we get him information about the MK3 hub, he could change his CAD design to produce the same adapter for the MK3 supra. His MR2 adapters are only $150....the other stuff can be purchased separately.

Just a suggestion,
Brett

H

·
0 Posts
I've contacted the guy that I bought my MR2 adapters for. If he bites and makes MK3 Supra adapters, then every can buy the Wilwood calipers that I mentioned....2 aftermarket Brembo Supra TT rotors and be all done w/ it.

Calipers $240
Pads $ 60 ??
Rotors $300
Adapters $150
Lines $100 (if you don't already have them)

$750 later you'll have 4-piston 13" big brakes.

Brett

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
that would be a very good price. consider suprasport.com has a deal for 4 rotors, pads, lines for around $600, a bit extra and you get bigger calipers and rotors. but that would be front only. would it be worthwhile to upgrade the rears? or maybe just soem performance pads?

H

·
0 Posts
The rear would be sufficient w/ some aftermarket rotors and porterfeld pads....and SS lines of course.

If I can get Hux (or anyone) to do the adapter...I'm definitely doing this setup.

Hullie

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Limited interest?

I'm proceeding with the MK2 kit, which I have
15 sets requested.

The MKIV rotor presents some difficulties as the rotor
hub diameter is smaller than the MK3 hub. And the ABS
sensor is different (per post on this site).

I checked my database of rotors, and not many
match the MK3.

The rotor adapter is then required.

Typical Toyota, as they change specs every
model change over.

Jim

H

·
0 Posts
OK, cool. So what exactly is this rotor adapter? Is it simply another circular hub that has holes for lug studs in it? If so, I think making one of these that would accept the Supra TT rotor and making a caliper adapter to fit the Wilwood caliper to this setup would be easier and most cost effective.

What is your take on this?

Brett

1 - 20 of 42 Posts