Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

In my quest for lightweight parts, I've stumbled across another vendor who has expressed interest in building us carbon fiber fenders for the MKIV if there is enough interest. They are located in Georgia, and would need somone near them for testing/design purposes.

I've already given them all kinds of bad ideas about widening them a bit, venting, etc. but they want to do a true clone of the stock fender for starters (since they are rationale...unlike me!). If you are in the GA area and interested, please get in touch with me so I can direct you to them.

There are no Supra specific CF products by this company yet...but they are willing to jump aboard if the interest exists. Thanks.

Steve T.
[email protected]

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
If the weight savings are there, I'm in, just need to save $$. If they are widened more, than I would be even more interested.

the carbon hatch still seems like an excellent idea as well. I'm 100% in on that if it happens, lot of weight savings and weight off the top!

Not to go off-topic though, it sounds real nice, and weight off the front, woohoo:)

billy

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
I'd be interested so long as they can be painted, and are more or less stock looking, just a bit wider.

1" up front and 2" in the rear would be about perfect.

I've been working on getting something like this produced myself with a local shop in NY, but time has been scarce to deal with such things lately.

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny...I'm trying to prove to them that most people would probably want stock sized and you guys are all already talking about widening them (my choice also). I'm trying to help them create a product that will actually sell though (regardless of the outcome).

Keep in mind that if you want wide fenders you MIGHT be forced into a lot more costs, depending on how we get these made. I think we could do a 1" flare on each side and utilize stock bumper and sideskirts, just have to be careful. Certainly no more than 1" on each fender though, and I don't want the overall flare to be abrupt like the Do-Luck either.

Well, if more people want flared, I think the minimum will be 15 sets (from a casual conversation with them). I may have assumed incorrectly, but will be happy to be wrong since I would only want slightly flared stock fenders too. :)

Anyone near GA who is interested?

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, we're not talking rears either. That is an entirely different league for now (full widebody kit...big money). Just fronts. :)

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brian,

My issue with the DoLuck are how they initiate the flare itself...by coming out as flat from where the sides of the headlights are. I don't like that at all, and am recommending avoiding that. The overall job done by DoLuck is outstanding and to be commended, I just don't like the initial flat spot. Please keep in mind that if we flare more than an inch or so, you're probably going to need to do rears as well aesthetically, and I REALLY want to avoid that due to costs. :)

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I say "flare", don't mistake that with "wild and aggressive flare". I'm not talking about Top Secret lines or anything. I'm simply talking about the line as it comes out. I have no problem with replicating the stock "flare" or "line", but we would need to be a bit more abrupt on our way out from the headlight to create the extra inch. I just take issue with the way DoLuck accomplish that...not my favorite way to add an inch.

Your feedback is all welcome...but we need something that many people will want and can be accomplished in a timely manner (or they won't want to build it). :)

Steve T.

·
Track Junkie
1,577 Posts
I am in GA, and I will be interested if they are close to my house, low cost, and the fenders can be painted :)

V

·
0 Posts
Hello All,

I am James, owner of the company that Steve is speaking of that is interested in creating these carbon fiber parts.

I asked him to post on here to see what type of interest this would create. I just decided to signup so that I could have a more personal feel with you guys instead of just sitting and lurking :)

Anyway, I have 2 fenders in mind. First, a stock carbon fiber replacement fender. That would be a lightweight part that many of you would like.

Second, a wide vented style fender. With the wide fender my thoughts on this are to make it have stock fitment and not to be extreme, just a simple lightweight, functional vented fender that would matchup with stock bumper, door panel and side skirts.

The fender that best comes to mind is www.yashiofactory.co.jp. They have a pretty good looking vent style for their 180sx wide body kit. What do you guys think of it? If any of you have any other venting styles you have seen that you like, please post a link.

The first month or two I am extensively researching and designing this project. Dimensions, hand made replacement sample until I get fitment absolutely flawless.

Also a lot of AutoCad engineering is going to go into this. So there should be no worries when I say I am not going to sell these unless fitment will be absolutely mint.

Thanks for all the input in advance and it's great to meet you all!

V

·
0 Posts
For those of you in GA that are interested in helping with development. Please drop me an email at [email protected]. People who participate in this project will definetly be compensated.:)

Thanks!

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for joining the forum James!

For your first product I want to help you guys from getting too overly randomized...which you'll find is SO easy when you ask "what do you guys want?".

Sometimes it's almost easier to just say "this is what we have...who wants to buy it?" then to ask for feedback like this. We're a tough crowd to please at times! :)

However, your multi-stage approach is going to work well I think. Let me know if you want any more help from me regarding this, but I think this thread will continue to grow for some time. :D

Steve T.

V

·
0 Posts
Thanks Steve.

Well first I would like anyone/everyones opinion and to see what they want. Then we are going to try to piece together a very clean, very functional design.

Second, We will put it into a lot of computer-engineered designing and then start hand creating some fenders until we get it flawless.

And we will take it from there, so keep it coming guys, lots of input would help. We will definetly keep all progress on this forum.

Cheers!:cool:

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TRD style without the vent is almost exactly what I had envisioned (and a great way to describe it), but this is up to all of you as they are not just for me. The key difference being that the TRD 3000GT style need the slightly wider front bumper (I believe) whereas these will not.

Please do check out the link that James provided above to the yashiofactory ones. Those are very nice, maybe a little more aggressive than some here would ultimately want, but worth a look. I'd like the aggressiveness of the yashio ones myself...almost Ferrari F40 like. :)

Steve T.

B

·
0 Posts
Hey James, how bout a C/F targa top? I'd buy 2 for sure and I'd be willing to bring you one to copy(not very far away). I've got lots of ideas and have lots of parts i could bring to you if you need em.

·
Administrator
17,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey James,

Just to echo what Brad is saying, there has been demand for a CF targa top forever...no one has stepped up to provide it yet. You can be sure this would be a huge seller if you guys managed to build one. :)

Steve T.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm in for the targa

Compared to my c5 targa the supra weights a ton.
Jason

1 - 20 of 220 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.