Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Thinking Person
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious guys, in my absence, a lot of research has been goin on dealing with 1jz swaps...

its all come out in the open, and its a pretty viable option for SC300 owners now, in fact its a very easy swap... the harness itself is plug and play into the SC300 body harness, etc... you have to extend the harness to make it clean, but its not that hard...

I was curious, if the JDM Supra 2jz-gte clips might be a plug and play option for the NA Supra? it'd make sense actually... because they are much more affordable and go for < $2500 everyday on ebay with complete engine sets... sometimes automatic trannies... but the W58 5-speed would bolt right on

now granted, the JDM 2jz is not as spectacular... it is still a nice thing to think about for easy and affordable swaps if this were possible...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
if I remember right the JDM 2jz-gte was alot more difficult to swap in as compared to the USDM 2jz-get. something about different sensor types. The JDM uses a MAP sensor, and the wiring on the harness requires ALOT of splicing work.

(or maybe just that no one has documented a how to on the JDM GTE harness to the USDM NA harness)


BEAN: you ever sell your car? you comtemplating a new project :) ?
 

·
Formerly NA-TT
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
kmn5 said:
if I remember right the JDM 2jz-gte was alot more difficult to swap in as compared to the USDM 2jz-get. something about different sensor types. The JDM uses a MAP sensor, and the wiring on the harness requires ALOT of splicing work.

(or maybe just that no one has documented a how to on the JDM GTE harness to the USDM NA harness)


BEAN: you ever sell your car? you comtemplating a new project :) ?
Dame Bean! Where have you been?

Anyways...^^^ not true.... if you go with a JDM engine, harness, and ECU then you will have to extend the wires, along with the minor wiring changes that come with a TT to NA swap, and that is all... really easy. If you decide to convert to some US components to get more "stock hp" then you will want the US turbos, injectors, maf, harness and ecu to get the stock 320 vs. 280 JDM hp. This isn't necessary, but many do it because the US injectors and turbos are capable of more power, but contrarily, the JDM ceramic turbos have their own benefits.

EDIT: Forgot you have a Lexus... yeah, there is some interior splicing that is required, but it isn't impossible. There is a 250 dollar writeup available that takes away the headaches and troubleshooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I saw your post over on CL about it, and it got me to thinking... I am by no means an expert with either engine, but this is my thought process, and I'll give it a shot! :)

Why do the 2JZ-GTE when I can do the 1JZ-GTE?

1) Standalone EMS.
---AEM EMS is capable of controlling a 1JZ, but to an average joe, like me, it's not as simple, or as well documented. HP Freaks did it, IIRC.

2) State-side supportability
---The fact that I can waltz (not that I'd actually waltz :fruit: ) into a toyota dealership and have a better chance at getting the part I need faster is priceless. I know that Curt can order a lot of the 1JZ-GTE parts needed, but the lead-time, I'm sure, increases.

2a) Availability of aftermarket parts stateside.
--The fact that I can blow a 2JZ-GTE shortblock, call up Curt or my local Toyota dealership and get a new one shipped out simplifies logistics greatly. Not to mention that the For Sale section of SF & eBay potentially provides greater utility. Used short-blocks w/ low miles pop up from time to time, for example.

I'm working off of info that's stored somewhere in the dusty recesses of my mind, but if I remember right, the exhaust bolt & port patterns on the 1JZ & 2JZ are the same, so single turbo 2JZ manifolds bolt to the 1JZ head no problem.

I'm reading that the 1JZ & 2JZ heads & shortblocks are interchangable, but isn't that simply changing one into the other? (displacement-wise)

3) Engine Displacement -- Although the 2.5L 6 inline does make it a very rev-happy and I'm guessing smooth motor, I'm curious as to how much extra lag is induced by this setup? With a 2.5L engine the stroke is decreased so I'm guessing the Rev limit is higher... but is that what we're after?

I already purchased Phil's manual (it's $190 now, and you get a hard copy), and I'm thinking over all these options. I am by no means an expert, but Bean you've got me thinking now :)

I'd like to hear other people's input on this as well.


The 1JZ into the SC300 proves very tempting -- the SC as Toyota created it, not as American emissions/Lexus marketing screwed it up :)

If it proves more cost-effective than NA-T, it could also find a place with NA-T MKIVs as well. The simplicity of dropping in a lower mile 1JZ that is compatable with BL & SP turbo kits could really create some fun around here.

I remember back in the day Clint P. posting up saying he actually did a 1JZ --> 2JZ-GTE swap for a customer who had engine problems (but that was about three years ago).

Anyhow, like Short Circuit's Johnny-5:

Need Input
 

·
Thinking Person
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kmn5 said:
if I remember right the JDM 2jz-gte was alot more difficult to swap in as compared to the USDM 2jz-get. something about different sensor types. The JDM uses a MAP sensor, and the wiring on the harness requires ALOT of splicing work.

(or maybe just that no one has documented a how to on the JDM GTE harness to the USDM NA harness)


BEAN: you ever sell your car? you comtemplating a new project :) ?
Yeah the harnesses are very different, there's a guy on CL looking into using the USDM gte harness and using it on the JDM motor... I think it'd be pretty tough since map to maf is not very viable...
I'm thinking though, that you could mate the JDM engine harness to the regular dash and chassis harnesses on the NA Supra... it just depends on how different the connections and setup are on the JDM TT supras vs the USDM NA Supras...

Nah, never sold the car, not that I tried very hard. Its hard when there's no exhaust on it and the car is SOOOO much better than my Nissan. I AM selling the Nissan though, to fund the project :D

I'm thinking of a 1jz project... I'll be only working (no school) in the summer and going to try and do it by then (unless I sell the Nissan first)

How's your project coming?

Supra SONIC said:
Dame Bean! Where have you been?

Anyways...^^^ not true.... if you go with a JDM engine, harness, and ECU then you will have to extend the wires, along with the minor wiring changes that come with a TT to NA swap, and that is all... really easy. If you decide to convert to some US components to get more "stock hp" then you will want the US turbos, injectors, maf, harness and ecu to get the stock 320 vs. 280 JDM hp. This isn't necessary, but many do it because the US injectors and turbos are capable of more power, but contrarily, the JDM ceramic turbos have their own benefits.

EDIT: Forgot you have a Lexus... yeah, there is some interior splicing that is required, but it isn't impossible. There is a 250 dollar writeup available that takes away the headaches and troubleshooting.
I've been away, had to sell the turbokit for the Lexus because of monetary issues. I've gone back to school to finish my engineering degree and I'm contemplating going into the Navy as an Aviator.

Yeah I'm 90% likely going to do the 1jz swap... but I researching possibilities for the NA Supra guys doing the jdm 2jz swap... it sounds pretty viable actually...

I guess it comes down to it, to how similar the chassis and dash harnesses are on the JDM and USDM Supras

SupraCoup3 said:
I saw your post over on CL about it, and it got me to thinking... I am by no means an expert with either engine, but this is my thought process, and I'll give it a shot! :)

Why do the 2JZ-GTE when I can do the 1JZ-GTE?

1) Standalone EMS.
---AEM EMS is capable of controlling a 1JZ, but to an average joe, like me, it's not as simple, or as well documented. HP Freaks did it, IIRC.
That is definitely true... Unless I had good plug and play possibilities on the AEM EMS, I'd go for something better, like a FAST setup (not that much more after all the sensors)... or just tweak the stock electronics... (ie. JDM 2jz 1.3bar map + USDM 550s + AFC for leaning the tune = ~19psi boost capabilities)

2) State-side supportability
---The fact that I can waltz (not that I'd actually waltz :fruit: ) into a toyota dealership and have a better chance at getting the part I need faster is priceless. I know that Curt can order a lot of the 1JZ-GTE parts needed, but the lead-time, I'm sure, increases.
Thats true... although A LOT of the parts swap over... did you see that pic on CL that EG8 posted of the shortblocks? the motors look identical except the deck height

2a) Availability of aftermarket parts stateside.
--The fact that I can blow a 2JZ-GTE shortblock, call up Curt or my local Toyota dealership and get a new one shipped out simplifies logistics greatly. Not to mention that the For Sale section of SF & eBay potentially provides greater utility. Used short-blocks w/ low miles pop up from time to time, for example.
This is true, but the 1jz head will bolt directly to the 2jz block :) for a 1.5jz... info is out there... timing belt prolly needs changing to a 2jz unit, but other than that its prolly not very difficult

I'm working off of info that's stored somewhere in the dusty recesses of my mind, but if I remember right, the exhaust bolt & port patterns on the 1JZ & 2JZ are the same, so single turbo 2JZ manifolds bolt to the 1JZ head no problem.

I'm reading that the 1JZ & 2JZ heads & shortblocks are interchangable, but isn't that simply changing one into the other? (displacement-wise)
the bolt and port patterns on both sides of the head are NOT interchangeable... although aftermarket single turbo exhaust headers, and intake manifolds are now available for the 1jz on ebay (and you can bet plenty of other higher quality ones are out there stateside now)... plus the manifold is so cheap ($250) that if it breaks, just buy another one or get a warranty claim...

and yes, you are pretty much changing one into the other as far as displacement goes... myth that the 1jz head flows better (its also setup for higher revs already), etc... not proven but makes some sense

3) Engine Displacement -- Although the 2.5L 6 inline does make it a very rev-happy and I'm guessing smooth motor, I'm curious as to how much extra lag is induced by this setup? With a 2.5L engine the stroke is decreased so I'm guessing the Rev limit is higher... but is that what we're after?
Not just revhappy from the displacement, it has a very oversquare design... short stroke... like Formula 1 motors sorta :)
There's a bit of extra lag, but there's more headroom... 7500rpms (8k if you tweak the ecu) at redline vs the 6800 on the 2jz...
the 1jz also has a much smoother/flatter torque band than the 2jz... (understandable since its true twin vs sequential, but the oversquare design helps a lot too)... dyno pic posted on CL in the turbo sc300 section... check it out

I already purchased Phil's manual (it's $190 now, and you get a hard copy), and I'm thinking over all these options. I am by no means an expert, but Bean you've got me thinking now :)

I'd like to hear other people's input on this as well.


The 1JZ into the SC300 proves very tempting -- the SC as Toyota created it, not as American emissions/Lexus marketing screwed it up :)

If it proves more cost-effective than NA-T, it could also find a place with NA-T MKIVs as well. The simplicity of dropping in a lower mile 1JZ that is compatable with BL & SP turbo kits could really create some fun around here.

I remember back in the day Clint P. posting up saying he actually did a 1JZ --> 2JZ-GTE swap for a customer who had engine problems (but that was about three years ago).

Anyhow, like Short Circuit's Johnny-5:

Need Input
unfortunately the 1jz and 2jz kits are not compatible (as far as manifold goes anyway)... i do not know the difficulty of putting a 1jz into a supra... though i think the jdm 2jz would be much easier (and work with the aforementioned turbo kits)

Nice hearing from you again lol... take it easy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Supra SONIC said:
Dame Bean! Where have you been?

Anyways...^^^ not true.... if you go with a JDM engine, harness, and ECU then you will have to extend the wires, along with the minor wiring changes that come with a TT to NA swap, and that is all... really easy. the JDM ceramic turbos have their own benefits.

EDIT: Forgot you have a Lexus... yeah, there is some interior splicing that is required, but it isn't impossible. There is a 250 dollar writeup available that takes away the headaches and troubleshooting.
sorry i just bought my supra and i was wondering what is the minor wiring changes to do a TT to NA swap and also what is the JDM turbos benefits. thanks
 

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
dainese954 said:
sorry i just bought my supra and i was wondering what is the minor wiring changes to do a TT to NA swap and also what is the JDM turbos benefits. thanks
You mean NA->TT? Minor isn't the word.. you will have to change out the COMPLETE harness.
 

·
Thinking Person
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats not exactly tough if you're used to it ;)

But Brown Duckz shared a bit of info on the CL thread... if you don't mind me sharing that BD :)

Using the US-spec TT harness on a Non-turbo supra and using a JDM 2jz, it allows full plug and play capabilities on the engine side (he made no comments on the chassis-side like the dash, etc)...
this also requires one to swap out the MAP setup for a TT MAF and prolly I'd assume the 440cc injectors for the USDM 550cc ones (with resistor pack of course)...

need some more verification for the JDM harness, ecu, and motor in a NA supra though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
ok what if i use complete 6spd tranny jdm 2jz and jdm wire harness what else would i need and what modifications would i have to do to make the car a regular JDM TT? thanks
 

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
Bean said:
thats not exactly tough if you're used to it ;)

But Brown Duckz shared a bit of info on the CL thread... if you don't mind me sharing that BD :)

Using the US-spec TT harness on a Non-turbo supra and using a JDM 2jz, it allows full plug and play capabilities on the engine side (he made no comments on the chassis-side like the dash, etc)...
this also requires one to swap out the MAP setup for a TT MAF and prolly I'd assume the 440cc injectors for the USDM 550cc ones (with resistor pack of course)...

need some more verification for the JDM harness, ecu, and motor in a NA supra though...
That all seems about right - Waiting for MadMaxx to drop in! :bigthumb:
 

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
dainese954 said:
ok what if i use complete 6spd tranny jdm 2jz and jdm wire harness what else would i need and what modifications would i have to do to make the car a regular JDM TT? thanks
You need to do some research - that information is readily available on this forum. You need to swap out the complete JDM driveline.. is the 6spd US Spec? You may want to change over to US 6spd ECU/Harness - so that there aren't any complications with that part of the swap.
 

·
Thinking Person
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bump for a good thread that the NA crowd needs to read
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Bean said:
How's your project coming?
Not good, had to take the car to a real shop (Braodway Preformance)
they're redoing everything
John at Broadway was digusted at the work on the car.
He's tearing down everything to redo
(he has to correct all the mistakes that were done, so it's taking longer then a fresh install.........)

should be ready this fri or next week :x:

yeah it's been a total headache, not having a car for over 3 months.
funny thing is I know someone that started their NAT project on an IS300 way after me, and in under 3 weeks time was already rolling and tuned
he dynoed 453rwhp! using the SRT 2.5 kit (on an automatic too)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top