Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee don't make this a flamewar LOL

i was curious to the power outputs made by both engines mod for mod

so i compared mine to the 1.5j (which at the time was a 1jz)

for each bolt on: filter, exhaust, intercooler bpu mods etc
the both made the same power increases

i will post up later on the dyno sheets between the both of them... but it would appear that the 1jz has just got a 50hp head start on us... but if we had 280bhp and 10psi from the factory we would be extremely close...

there was a 1-5hp difference on some modifications
so you can definitely tell that we're toyota engines, and have some of the same engineering
but i found it interesting that we made the same power increases on each mod...

just some observations i made

altho i do have to give it to the 1j.. i does have .5 displacement less lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
:blah: the 1j is still superior

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: someone had to :p

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
well suze the 1jz i guess u can say is more of a track motor and i would agree that it will respond well to mods simply because its a toy motor and well its turbo.Its meant to be able and pop a rev thru a turn without enough torque to sling the a$$ end out from behind you. i wouldnt mind owning the 1jz motor even tho the 280hp stock is the catcher i'll miss the initial torque punch of the 7m that makes it worth while to put it to the floor when needed! both motors are good IMO and they were made for their own reasons! thank god toyota blessed us with the turbo motors for the supra!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
the 1jz does have a nicer oiling system than the 7M, you don't have to worry about rod knock with the 1jz like you do with the 7m

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
:lol: i can feel the slugfest comming!

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's quite strange that rod knock is common over there...
the first time i ever heard of it was on here LOL... like we've had 2 accounts of bottom end bearings gone and that was in both cases no oil in the engine

maybe it's something wierd like weather lol

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
Thermactor said:
the 1jz does have a nicer oiling system than the 7M, you don't have to worry about rod knock with the 1jz like you do with the 7m
keep the engine full of oil and you won't have any rod knock problems....

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
suprra_girl said:
it's quite strange that rod knock is common over there...
the first time i ever heard of it was on here LOL... like we've had 2 accounts of bottom end bearings gone and that was in both cases no oil in the engine

maybe it's something wierd like weather lol
it's not really that strange when you look @ who owns the cars that get rod knock- younger males more interested in spending $$ on performance upgrades than routine maintenance. low oil is the #1 cause of rod knock, regardless of what else is said....

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
i 2nd the oil! keep it full, changed regular, and clean then rod knock will not occur

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
I really don't think we are covering any new ground here. People will entertain the thread because your a chick, but we all know whats up.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
hmm.. wait.. people answer a thread because there is some pussy (no offense suprra_girl) behind the keyboard? I know that is the case in off topic with most guys that never seen pussy much less tapped pussy.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
SO many 7m haters. I love how everyones mechanical problems on sf are solved with "im just gonna swap a 1jz"

For all its worht i love the motor, but its not ideal pulling around a 3800lb car on the street.

Its hard to compare mod for mod because they run more boost and im pretty sure the two ct12s combine flow more cfm

Under similar circumstances, i beleive due to the specs of the engines (same turbo boost pressure and cfm) the 7m would make more power on low boost/cfm and the 1jz on high. The 7m will always yeild more torque and the 1jz more hp due to their designs. When you get into extreme power levels with enormous turbos, thats when the 1jz shines with its higher flowing head and short stroke. But for street and sheer torque, the 7m is king. But then again who keeps their engines stock at that point?

Ang

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
figgie said:
hmm.. wait.. people answer a thread because there is some pussy (no offense suprra_girl) behind the keyboard? I know that is the case in off topic with most guys that never seen pussy much less tapped pussy.

Seriously if anyone does that, that is very, VERY sad. Like go outside and meet some girls ... I suggest bus stops or high schools hahah j/k

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
drjonez said:
keep the engine full of oil and you won't have any rod knock problems....

yep...everyone believes 7ms create rodknock. as to why...I guess its the human thing to do by pointing fingers at everyone except themselves. :dunno:

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
83'Mk2L said:
Wait you mean 7m's require oil?

no, thats an option. the require some OJ...apple juice if you wanna go synthetic.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Justin727 said:
Its meant to be able and pop a rev thru a turn without enough torque to sling the a$$ end out from behind you

You HAVE to be kidding...

1 - 20 of 229 Posts