Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 97 Supra 6 speed with an SP63/.81AR, SP fuel system, stock cams, stock head, no cam gears, stock wheels, and Tien Coilovers. I was running on VERY bald 275/40/17 drag radials and could not hook worth a shit. In the past, on 1/2 worn drag radials I effortlessly cut a 1.602 60 foot time. All runs were made on race gas and EGT's never went above 750. NOTE: READ BELOW FOR THE INTERESTING POINT.

I took my Supra out to Desoto speedway this weekend. I could only get in 2 runs on saterday since there were too many people and I also made a few passes on Run Sunday. Big thanks to Horacio for all the help at the track (you are the man and a great friend).

The first pass on Saterday I accidently left the bost controller off:
1.94 60 60 foot time
7.619 1/8 mile et
98.45 1/8 mile mph
11.608 1/4 mile et (pretty good for 14 psi)
123.23 1/4 mile mph

The second (and last) pass on Saterday with 27 psi I ran:
1.819 60 60 foot time (missed 2nd!!!!)
7.535 1/8 mile et
99.43 1/8 mile mph
11.396 1/4 mile et
129.75 1/4 mile mph

My first pass on Sunday with 27 psi i ran:
2.014 60 60 foot time (!!!!!!spun)
7.362 1/8 mile et
103.84 1/8 mile mph
11.015 1/4 mile et :D
134.64 1/4 mile mph

After that my 60 foots went to complete shit :( (as if they could not get any worse.) and my bald drag radials would not hook at all.

:D :D :D The most interesting thing I noticed is that on a fresh set of drag radials I can cut 60 foot times in the 1.6's and looking at my 11.0 pass it looks like I should be able to pull off a 10.60 or 10.50 pass using 27psi. :D :D :D

Oh, by the way, I just got my HKS EZ in the mail (thanks Nero) and will be installing that since I am unable to hit more than 27psi with my current profec B controller. Once I get it installed I am going back to the dyno with the help of Angel and hope to hit some dyno numbers close to the 650 range.

I have a set of ET streets in the garage but I think I am going to get another set of 275/40/17 drag radials and see how deep in the 10's I can go with radial tires.

I may get a second set of rims so that I can run my S03's on the street and not have to wear out a set of drag radials every two weeks before I can even make it to the track!!!

email me if anyone has any questions.

-pete

·
Registered
174 Posts
I too have noticed that BFGs start to loose their grip once the tread is gone. A fresh set will definitely improve your launches quite a bit.

Do you have any "before and after" opinions on the coil-overs? Do you think they improve launch capability or hurt it?

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Big congrats Pete. Looks like you have a daily driver 10sec capable car!! You da man yourself there. Put the SO3s on and see what you can do with them. Quite an amazing turbo and thanks for the ride, I was very impressed! Take care and I hope all is well with you and your family.

Adam

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
Nice runs:) !
All you really need to do now is get some 315 BFG drag radials and you will be pulling 1.5-1.6 second 60 ft times. They will work just fine on your stock rims. I ran them all last summer. You may have to roll your inner fender lip a little so they don't rub.
That should put you deep into the 10's.:D

Bob

B

·
0 Posts
I'm curious too.......... I have a set of coilovers in my garage, but from what I've heard 60' times go to shit on anything but stock suspenion...........

T

·
0 Posts
magic

smoke'n times, once you get a decent 60ft your in the safely in the 10's.

to all:
what kind of 60ft's do you get off your street tires? the ones you drive everyday?

thanks

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
supratt96 said:
I too have noticed that BFGs start to loose their grip once the tread is gone. A fresh set will definitely improve your launches quite a bit.

Do you have any "before and after" opinions on the coil-overs? Do you think they improve launch capability or hurt it?
Actually I have very strong opinions on the coilovers. I used to have HKS coilovers. I hated them. Once you lower your car beyond one inch they do not work very well.

I now have Tiens and absolutely love them. They eliminated a lot of wheel hop (probably due to the helper spring) and helped the car launching and hook up way better in second gear. Before I used to spin all the way through second now I hook at least 1/2 way through. They were also really easy to tune in for better launches. I drive around on the street on full soft and at the track i stiffen them up quite a bit. They also handle very well, much better than the HKS's.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me.

-pete

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WEST said:
Nice runs:) !
All you really need to do now is get some 315 BFG drag radials and you will be pulling 1.5-1.6 second 60 ft times. They will work just fine on your stock rims. I ran them all last summer. You may have to roll your inner fender lip a little so they don't rub.
That should put you deep into the 10's.:D

Bob
I have only been to the track with my tires in decent condition once with the tien coilovers. It was an 1/8 mile track. The first pass I had them set too soft and spun resulting in a 2.0 60 foot time. The second pass I stiffened up the tiens and effortlessly pulled off a 1.602 60 foot time!!! With good 275's I can already pull off 1.6's. I am hoping with some practice to nail some 1.5's with the 275's. I have never drivin on anything but drag radials on my car since I went single. Tonight for the first time I had a new set of SO3's installed and the car handles amazing.

I am getting a second set of rims for the drag radials so that they don't get wasted on the street and hopefully run much better at the track.

-pete

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
Way to go Pete !!! Congrats......hopefully soon enough we should be back on Desoto for some more track time :) hope to see you there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sweet runs pete! Maybe I'll get my clutch in and go out with you guys next time. Heracio went last night but haven't talked with him yet. Pretty soon you will be bangin out tens with ease. Hopefully we can meet up with everyone on sat.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ttmkiv said:
Nice runs!! 10's are right around the corner.. :)

What clutch are you running??
I am using the AZ clutch. So far it has been holding up well. We will see how long it will last.

Jesus said:
Way to go Pete !!! Congrats......hopefully soon enough we should be back on Desoto for some more track time :) hope to see you there.
I can't wait to see that red beast of yours run again. It will be sweet seeing it run on race gas. Email me your number and I will give you a call whenever I go to Desoto and maybe we can all meet up. Should be really fun.

-pete

·
Registered
84 Posts
Magic that is VERY impressive. With that mph...you definitely have some mid-low 10s in that car. Also...nice hooking track. Here in Ga, you'd be lucky to get a 1.9 on nittos :( Any videos? I'd love to see some of your runs!!!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
element217 said:
Pete_

What kind of pressure are you running in your drag radials and on what rims? Thanks.

stephen
I am using the stock TT rims that came with my car with a 275/40/17 BFG Drag Radial tire. I usually have the best luck with 18 psi in the tires and the tien shocks set on 14 in the front and 11 in the back.

hope this helps.

-pete

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmmmmmm..... I dropped my tire pressure to 13 psi and they did awesome out of the hole, just never got a good run total. Did you ever find any really good settings for your HKS coilovers? I have the HyperMax Dampener IIs and was trying to figure out the best settings for the track on them. Was not sure if I would have to order the other springs for them that they make.

stephen

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
element217 said:
Hmmmmmm..... I dropped my tire pressure to 13 psi and they did awesome out of the hole, just never got a good run total. Did you ever find any really good settings for your HKS coilovers? I have the HyperMax Dampener IIs and was trying to figure out the best settings for the track on them. Was not sure if I would have to order the other springs for them that they make.

stephen
I have never tried tire pressure below 17psi. I may try and drop it a little more and see if I get any improvements.

On the HKS's, if I remember correctly, the best results for me were with the front set on 16 and the rear set to 14. The wierd thing is that I was trying to run them too soft and tried stiffening them up in a desperate attempt to gain some traction and it actually worked. At that point I realized softer is not always better.

On my tiens 11 in the rear worked much much better than say 7 on the rear.

hope this helps.

-pete

·
Toyotally Awesome
647 Posts
Magic said:

The first pass on Saterday I accidently left the bost controller off:
1.94 60 60 foot time
7.619 1/8 mile et
98.45 1/8 mile mph
11.608 1/4 mile et (pretty good for 14 psi)
123.23 1/4 mile mph

The second (and last) pass on Saterday with 27 psi I ran:
1.819 60 60 foot time (missed 2nd!!!!)
7.535 1/8 mile et
99.43 1/8 mile mph
11.396 1/4 mile et
129.75 1/4 mile mph

My first pass on Sunday with 27 psi i ran:
2.014 60 60 foot time (!!!!!!spun)
7.362 1/8 mile et
103.84 1/8 mile mph
11.015 1/4 mile et :D
134.64 1/4 mile mph

-pete
Pete,

What changes were made to the car to see a difference in 5 mph in your trap speeds? Was the car heat soaked Saturday night?

Otherwise...Congrats dude! 130+ trap speeds are neat!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts