Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my engine is at the rebuilder I decided to get ahead of the curve and start the recoloring of the interior. Original color was burgandy(see pic below). Im using Duplicolor dye from Walmart in black and gray satin. For the plastic Im using Krylon Fusion also from Walmart in black and gray satin.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drivers door:

Im waiting on some new speakers before I reinstall the door panels in the car. I should be working on the dash, center console and trim parts in the next few days with the rear seats and trim shortly after. I will post new pics as I finish stuff.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yea, I'll have the upholstery shop install new carpet in the lower section of the door when they do the floor carpet and headliner. That way Im sure it will all match.

·
Wingless by choice.
640 Posts
Nice looking color bro, that will go great with the white exterior. Looks like your doing a great job, hope it turns out good, gl with that stuff bro.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
nice man.... looks almost EXACTLY like mine ;)

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=266030

also im using the same things i believe... which product did you use for the door panel itself? like the black part? i tried the fusion stuff on it... it came out pretty decent but im not sure if i like the finish 100%...

i also got the duplicolor vinyl/fabric stuff and i did that on the handle because another handle HATED the fusion stuff.... and it came out VERY nice... so im thinking i might redo the panel in the duplicolor stuff and leave the fusion for the REAL plastic pieces....

also i ripped that carpet off and just used the new vinyl i got to recover them...looks a thousand times better then carpet...thats so old school lol...

:D

G

·
If you are using the spray paint kind, hopefully you prepped the surfaces properly. After awhile, my experimental door panel began chipping and peeling in some places. I used something like Krylon Vinyl Dye a long time ago. I'm looking for a more permanent solution to color changes (that don't cost big $$$ :-D) Ideas?

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
the paint specifically said dont prep surfaces just make sure they are clean and dry...

the krylon fusion supposedly BONDS to the plastic... while the duplicolor fabric stuff seems to do the same...

time will tell i guess....

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prepped all surfaces with denatured alcohol. I used terry cloths soaked with it to clean the years of crap off. If you dig down real deep with the denatured it will get everything out. I then went over with a tack cloth and immediately sprayed 2 coats. Waiting about 5 minutes before each coat. Thirty minutes after applying dye to the vinly I scraped it with my knife and no damage incurred.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
WOW, Proficio is back, dude we WILL be seeing you this Friday at the SupraNationals, right? At least come out to the hotels Friday night and meet everyone!

G

·
It looks good and I wish you the best of luck with it, but Im a bit skeptical. I bought my car with a dye and panted interior (same as yours burgandy to black) and it looks like crap. In the daylight you can see the red coming threw. I dont know if it was done crappy or how long ago it was done. Hopefully yours will be better.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I am doing the same, except all black. Plastic pieces are done in Krylon Fusion and the vinyl is done with "u-fix-it" vinyl paint. Both are aerosol cans.

I did this 6 months ago on most of the interior, and some parts the paint is flaking off. All pieces were vigorously cleaned and dryed before painting.

This time around I am trying it with using a non-metal surface primer. So far so good.

All vinyl/plastic has been dyed now and any fabric pieces have been re-done with black vinyl. Carpet, roof, and seats are all being re-apholstered as well.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vinly/leather is easy to do and will last a long time assuming the surface was preped. The plastic is another story, I have tried many different techniques and paint systems on interior plastic and none have held up the way I wanted them to. I choose the Fusion because it is the quickest and simpliest to apply. There's no since doing all that sanding, priming, painting and clearcoating if I will just have to do it all over again 2 years from now. Good thing about our cars is most of the interior is vinly or leather.

·
Registered
658 Posts
No Problems here.........

It has been almost a year with the one 'wear' spots being where I place my hands......hardly noticable. If I feel the urge...I will just touch them up.

Other than that, I have NO peeiling and the color is still glossy. If you are having trouble with the paint sticking to your plastic/vynal, you really need to prep it again to remove the old armourall crap that is most certainly on the surface.

Hope this helps.

David

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lance, man I would love to come out this weekend time permitting. Where will everyone be Friday night at like 7pm. I will be coming through then and could stop by for a little while. Between work and family I dont have alot of spare time. I would like to stop by for a little bit though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts