Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and come across nothing.
I dont know whats up. This issue started maybe a week ago. Up until today, I thought it only happened in the morning... when the car sits overnight... but today I proved myself wrong. This morning it started right up (8 AM). I just had to move it out the driveway so it didnt warm up. At 12 I went to start it and it didn't start the 1st time around.

Best way I can explain:
To say the word "turn" is when the motor actually turns over and starts. Mine, recently in the mornings, goes and sounds like "tu--". It almost feels as if Im bump starting the motor purposely. Once it starts and warms up tho, Im good. It has no problem idling or anything and it doesn't give me a problem during the rest of the day.

I recently replaced the starter with 91-92 7M starter about 2 months ago. I've heard talks about heatsoak with the 7M one but this is in the morning time so Im pretty sure thats not it. Plus... everytime I try to crank it, it tries with atleast a "tu--" so I know the starter works.

What else can I check? Relay? Lemme know what you guys think. Thanx in advance.

Dew

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
I thickend my ground wire on my battery and it went away. People are also having this problem but think its something else, I used thigger gauge wire on all my terminals and it starts 1st crank all the time.

·
1jz 240sx
205 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:
I thickend my ground wire on my battery and it went away. People are also having this problem but think its something else, I used thigger gauge wire on all my terminals and it starts 1st crank all the time.
I agree with junky. I have the same problem and I know it has to do with the wires. The problem started for me when I moved the battery to the rear. I assumed it had to do with either the power or ground cable.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
I just had an issue sort of like this, but I think Ive narrowed it down to junked up teeth on the flywheel and/or starter ring gear. An excuse to get a new flywheel now!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supra Junky 101 said:
I thickend my ground wire on my battery and it went away. People are also having this problem but think its something else, I used thigger gauge wire on all my terminals and it starts 1st crank all the time..
dillusion13 said:
I agree with junky. I have the same problem and I know it has to do with the wires. The problem started for me when I moved the battery to the rear. I assumed it had to do with either the power or ground cable.
Ok cool. Thats a relief that its just that. I'll get some 0 gauge or something and see if it makes a difference. Thanx

So my funky explanation of "tu--" was understandable? I was ready for every1 to be like WTF!

pnutcar said:
I just had an issue sort of like this, but I think Ive narrowed it down to junked up teeth on the flywheel and/or starter ring gear. An excuse to get a new flywheel now!!!
I hope thats not it cause like I said, I have a new starter... not to mention a lightened flywheel!

Again thanx. I'll let you all know if thats it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah my car starts when it feels like it. I replaced the starter relay, circut opening relay and it still wont start. I tested the starter and it runs like a champ? Im thinking of putting a push button starter in tomarrow. The supra is the easiest car Ive ever had to pop start.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Supra Junky 101 said:
I wouldn't go with 0 gauge. Thats fucking massive , I used 4 gauge and it worked very well .
Alrighty then... 4 gauge it is. Thanx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts