Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 87 turbo, and i was just wondering what some of you guys have done internally to your engine, like what brand and how much its helped your car that sort of stuff. thanks
mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
stock forged rods, just a set of ross or Je oversized pistons clean it up the best you can, maybe some clevitt bearins or arp hardware on the bottom, or go nuts and spend 1000 bucks or so for rods.

Stock bottom end is pretty strong when prepped and correct.

Defiently a New oil Pump, and maybe shim it, if you get down there.

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
JE pistons would be nice, Crower rods, balance stock crankshaft,
ARP bolts..but that's if your running high hp's..

stock bottom ends can hold up to 500+hp..unless you have a rod knock..

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
me? im planning on running crower rods, oversized con rod bearings, JE pistons, rebalanced and blueprinted stock crank, upgraded oil pump etc. im also going the extra edge and running all ARP studs/bolts for the conrods and etc...

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
I have Ferrea Valves ( 1 mm oversized), Springs, and Retainers, JE Pistons (.40 overbore), Pauter Rods, ARP Head, Main and Rod bolts, worth every penny. If you have the money, go for it, you won't regret it.

Khris

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
if your going for anything less than 550 rwhp, a stock rebuild (with close attention to tolerances and balancing) will be fine WITH PROPER TUNING. people seem to forget that. if you run lean, it doesnt matter if your on stock pistons and rods or $1000 pistons and rods, it can still destroy itself pretty quick...

edit: i should mention, stock rebuild with metal HG and ARP bolts/studs.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Enraged, I would add to your stock rebuild (with MHG and ARP Headbolts) ARP fastners for the rod bolts.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Also, add a washer to the relief valve of the new oil pump to increase oil pressure, and always keep oil levels 0.5L above the full mark to ensure proper lubrication in higher-G maneovers. It's been theorized that one cause of 7M rod knock is the poorly designed oil pan and it's lack of proper baffling, etc - More oil helps reduce the chance of oil starvation to the oil pump pickup in the aformentioned high-g moves ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
85csupra said:
i have a 87 turbo, and i was just wondering what some of you guys have done internally to your engine, like what brand and how much its helped your car that sort of stuff. thanks
mike
Are the stock rods forged?

I was also planning an engine buildup, and planned on just polishing and shotpeening the stock rods with some ARP bolts.
if the stock rods are forged, then ill have no doubts in my mind on the bottom end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts