Votes: 8 19.5%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Intrest in DAMPED Crank pulley

Ok folks

As most of you know. The 7m-GTE engine currently has two options for crank pulleys. One is the stock OEM crank pulley and the other "option" is the unorthodox research UNDAMPED crank pulley.

Well there might be a third option for the 7m-GE/GTE motor. The best part is that the A/C groove ring is removable meaning you will only have the alternator/water pump groove and the power steering groove. The pulley is made out of aluminum AND unlike the UR pulley. This one WILL BE DAMPED AND TUNEABLE!!

Price might be around $400 or a bit more.. More than likely high balling it but better being high than low.

edit: forgot to add. This damper IS SFI approved which makes it legal for NHRA compentition.

THIS IS NOT A GROUP BUY NOR AN INTREST IN ONE. THIS IS GAUGING INTREST IN THE POSSIBLE AVAILABILITY OF A DAMPED CRANK PULLEY FOR THE 7M-GE/GTE and nothing else

G

·
I'm not sure who, either Fluidampr or ATI, makes a damper pulley for the 5M. I'm really not sure if this helps in any way, either.
Are you or other high power 7M owners having trouble with crank harmonics?

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,172 Posts
ATI is making me a dampened pulley as we speak, they have one of mine. I asked them to make it with only one drive on it as I am only turning an alternator and waterpump on my truck. Its the last part i need to be totally NHRA Legal. Expect a $400 price tag on one from them.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
joliroger4 said:
ATI is making me a dampened pulley as we speak, they have one of mine. I asked them to make it with only one drive on it as I am only turning an alternator and waterpump on my truck. Its the last part i need to be totally NHRA Legal. Expect a $400 price tag on one from them.
not for anything but that is totally custom.

I am talking about stock OEM replacement pulley that still LOOKS like stock and has all the 3 groove with the a/c one removable for those bravehearts that removed the a/c system ;)

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,172 Posts
Well, the first one will be for me. I can think of a few people on here who would want one like that. They'll have no problem making a stock replacement though, my pulley is there. Thats a good idea with the detachable AC groove. No one is gonna buy theirs with a high price tag though(meaning ATIs)

3,796 Posts
What kind of weight difference are we looking at here?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
joliroger4 said:
Well, the first one for me will be. I can think of a few people on here who would want one like that. They'll have no problem making a stock replacement though, my pulley is there. Thats a good idea with the detachable AC groove. No one is gonna buy theirs with a high price tag though.
you mean the typical stingy cheap broke ass mkiii owner that always makes group buy fail because everything is too expensive... you are right.

As for myself.

<-- i am of the mentality.. Spare no expense and get shit done RIGHT the first time... though there is PLENTY of time to do it right afterwards. ;)

G

·
I'd be interested in a single drive unit.
I still wonder how much a straight 6 needs an aftermarket damped pulley.
Straight 6s are pretty damned balanced naturally, and I haven't even heard of crank harmonic problems with the 7M.
Still the NHRA does require SFI? approved units...

·
Registered
143 Posts
the in line 6 cylinder has a severe 3rd order torsional vibration
This is coming from the techs at fluidampr. I am planning on buying the 7 1/4 generic fluidampr and machining the air conditioning pully off the end of an unorthodox racing underdrive pulley. Then I am going to machine a spacer to mount the fluidampr to the end of the modified pully. At least this is my plan as of now.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i jsut edited my first post. This Damper WILL be SFI approved therefore lega for NHRA/IHRA drag racing competition.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
I have been trying to find a place to do this also, only one belt as I currently only have a belt for the water pump/alternator... I will be keeping my eye on this though :) aight peace :run:

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok bumping as this is NOT alot of people.. which is somewhat not suprising.

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
A few questions:

Is this going to be an underdrive pulley?
Is the dampening of the pulley tuned? What I mean by that, is there a formula for how much rubber you put between the two sections of the pulley, or does it not matter, as long as the inner and outer sections of the pulley are isolated? If it does matter, how is this company going to match the tuning from Toyota factor?

Thanks

Christian

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Racefiend said:
A few questions:

Is this going to be an underdrive pulley?
Is the dampening of the pulley tuned? What I mean by that, is there a formula for how much rubber you put between the two sections of the pulley, or does it not matter, as long as the inner and outer sections of the pulley are isolated? If it does matter, how is this company going to match the tuning from Toyota factor?

Thanks

Christian
ONLY the powersteering is going to be underdriven. The Alt/water pump will stay OEM size. Same with A/C.

As for the tuning. All science. Weight of crank plus length plus rpm plus a whole bunch of other parameters they take and tune accordingly. A pulley that goes to 6500 rpm is tuned differently than one that goes to 8000 rpm ;)

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
That would actually be perfect, as my PS is being overdriven right now. heheh. Sounds interesting. I just might be down for one! I had an unorthodox and chucked it cause of the undampenedness of it....is that a word?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Racefiend said:
That would actually be perfect, as my PS is being overdriven right now. heheh. Sounds interesting. I just might be down for one! I had an unorthodox and chucked it cause of the undampenedness of it....is that a word?

you mean like fantabulous is? ;) :wtflol:

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
No I'm using the 7M pump, but the early year one. Then I put on the UR pulley, which is made for the later variable assist, so it's smaller than stock.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts