Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen h.p. gain's from one plug to another? I had iridium's in first, at stock gap .028, and then changed to 3330's at .034 to run nitrous(iridium's were getting spark blow out at full boost) and i can swear the car feel's stronger. I'll find out for sure next trip to the dyno i guess?

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
There are two kind of iridiums plugs made by denso. IK22 and IK20. Everyone who orders the IK20 then you all have the wrong plug. IK20 is the stock plug gapped down. IK22 = 6097 which are exact as stock and one heat range colder. http://supra.vache.org has the break down of the difference between all the plugs. I should know since I spent an hour looking and cross referencing all the plugs but that was long ago ;).

The IK22 are by far the superior plugs among them all. My idle cleared up atleast 50% with that plug and I haven't felt a miss on my single turbo. I also put the same plug a BPU+++ car without a problem. PHR put the 3330 in the car and it idled like crap when i retarded my exhaust cam gear. 6097 idled great but like all copper plugs went out at ~3000 miles.

I have read from numerous sources that you need to run a colder plug when you spray because of how much the heat goes up. Sound-Performance uses ik22 in all their cars and they have hi RWHP with NOS. Also these plugs are designed to outlast platinum plugs. I will never put copper plugs in my car again. I am not fond of changing plugs at every oil change. Wear and tear on the head and the spark plug clips are just some reasons to just put out the extra 10 bucks a plug and bite the bullet.

IMHO,
Sid

·
Got Juice?
468 Posts
Sid,

Is $11.99 a good price per plug for the IK22? Right now I'm using NGK 3330 and would like to see for myself if there is any differences.

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
648 Posts
I'm also using the IK22 and they're a definate improvement over the 3330. I'm at BPU++ with a VPC and my idle is considerable better than with the 3330 and it feels much stronger and smoother overall...Darshana S...

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
11.99 from www.sparkplugs.com. I wouldn't pay $25 bucks for any plugs just for an HKS sticker on them. Knowing HKS, it is probably just the IK20 relabeled. Denso isn't too much help either. I have called them and asked for specs on their stuff and they all say it is confidential..blah..blah..blah.

Why one God's green earth would anyone use a spark plug that you have to change every 3-6k? there was a reason Toyota used Platinum plugs... maybe because they are designed to last 50,000 miles. I just bpu++ a car recently that had 115,000 miles with stock platinum plugs. Let's see copper plugs that can do that... It didn't miss or anything just road pretty ruff with that many miles.. ;) Now if you are spraying or something... all bets are off. i don't know enough about it to comment.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/spark_plugs/techtips.asp answers a lot of questions that most people are asking.

IMHO,
Sid

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I ran the IK22 at .028" on the T-64 up to 28 PSI with no misfire. On the SP74 I had to gap them down a bit to cure an occasional high RPM/high-boost (25+ PSI) miss. At .025" there was no miss at 29 PSI.

As far as gapping them, as with any plug you should be very careful not to mess them up when re-gapping. I find a very solid surface -- such as the anvil portion of a bench vise -- and gently tap the plug on the center electrode to close down the gap. Measure the gap after each tap. DO NOT close it down too far. If you do, it's much more difficult to open the gap without buggering or damaging anything.

Steve

sidwin said:
scott,

the plugs come .030 how much lower do u want those little suckers to go ;) steve hayes run them .028 without any problems. were u missing or something?

sid

·
Very Senior Member
9,950 Posts
sidwin said:
There are two kind of iridiums plugs made by denso. IK22 and IK20. Everyone who orders the IK20 then you all have the wrong plug. IK20 is the stock plug gapped down. IK22 = 6097 which are exact as stock and one heat range colder. ..........

IMHO,
Sid
Sid - can you get those plugs local in NOLA or do you order them? If order them, where?

(Didja notice I finally got a DP - time to dyno again, I think my BC is working OK, too)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts