Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 18 and I’m very new to the car community and I’m getting my first car. Ik people will tell me to get a beater as my first but I think I’m a good and safe driver. So I wanted to know Supra owners opinions about getting a MKIV Supra as a first car and daily driver I’ll be getting an auto because I don’t know how to drive manual. Rn I drive my parents 2016 Hyundai Sonata in the heavy traffic city of LA.

·
Smith & Wesson Member
654 Posts
Non Turbo Auto - Sure, Why Not...

But, be prepared to maintain it, as it's an older vehicle.

Reactions: jdm-rhd and sworley

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,786 Posts
I think I’m a good and safe driver
Think again. I'm not trying to hate on you, but you've got what, 2 years driving experience max? You might be "safe"/cautious, but "good" comes with a lot of experience. And then put you in a Supra, and you will be tempted to use it.

in the heavy traffic city of LA.
Heavy traffic would be miserable in a Supra. That's not what they're for.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,398 Posts
You realize that clean n/a auto will run you about the same as brand new Camry? If money is not an issue, get yourself a used Lexus GS and enjoy it, especially in the traffic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I haven't been around here that long but it surprises me how often teens ask 'is a 25-30 year old sporstcar that has surely led a hard life a smart choice for my first car'.

I smell troll.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't been around here that long, but it surprises me how often teens ask, 'is a 25-30 year old sporstcar that has surely led a hard life a smart choice for my first car'.

I smell troll.
Well, I'm not a troll, lmao. My first choice for a car was the 2020 Hyundai sonata but then quarantine hit, and I fell in love with JDM car videos and became infatuated with the MKIV Supra. I assumed it only came manual, and I thought id have to learn manual to drive it, but I saw it also came in auto and its parts are easily accessible. I understand it's an old car, but that's why I want it even more. If I do pull the trigger on an MKIV supra ill definitely build it to last. Also, don't get me wrong, I also want it because it's an iconic car, a supra every teenager's dream, but I also understand that it's an old car, and I'm prob better off with just a 2020.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think again. I'm not trying to hate on you, but you've got what, 2 years driving experience max? You might be "safe"/cautious, but "good" comes with a lot of experience. And then put you in a Supra, and you will be tempted to use it.

I definitely understand my goal was to buy a 1996 supra 2JZ-GE with a full body kit already on it and add a TT to the engine, so id definitely is speeding on the highway, probably doing some dumb shit. Also, I thought the surpa was both a sportscar and comfort car, that's why it came auto?

·
Smith & Wesson Member
654 Posts
I also understand that it's an old car, and I'm prob better off with just a 2020.
As much as you want a MKIV - Yes, a new car would be way better for your needs.

Want vs Need = Hard Lesson In Life...

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
440 Posts
Stroker read my mind.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Detractors:
-Buying a MKIV is as much as a new vehicle.
-You’ll at likely have minor things you’ll have to fix. Assuming you have an ordinary budget.
-MPG and insurance will be costly compared to a new Corolla/Sonata etc. so if it’s used to be a beater just not ideal.
-Yes you will get the urge to step on it even if it’s an auto NA. Account for potential tickets ie fines/costlier insurance.

Ultimately there’s a lot of detractors but you’re gonna do you. At the very least account fo the financial aspects of it. I say go for it.

When I was looking for a Supra. My dad offered to financially help me further if I bought a new Lexus/BMW instead (dad thought it was too much for used Supra). But I was set on the Supra, I can safely say I would’ve traded the BMW/Lexus by now. Meanwhile the Supra is still around.

I’ll caveat that you’re at least paying double what I did when I got mine, and the car is a lot older to boot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel like this happens so much now. Why buy an NA auto Supra when you can have a million different newer cars that are more efficient, less costly to maintain, newer interior, safety features, technology, etc etc etc. If you want performance and you have NA auto MK4 money, buy a used 370Z or something. If you don't really want performance, buy a Camry or a GS for all I care.

Also, learn to drive manual? Can't stand guys who say "not going to buy it because can't drive it." Everyone learns at some point :) even though it doesn't really apply in this case because a manual MK4 would be a bit more expensive.

If you're considering buying a MK4 for the steez factor, everyone at the meet is going to woo when they see the MK4 roll up, but they'll cringe when it's a bone stock NA auto. I know I would.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I feel like this happens so much now. Why buy an NA auto Supra when you can have a million different newer cars that are more efficient, less costly to maintain, newer interior, safety features, technology, etc etc etc. If you want performance and you have NA auto MK4 money, buy a used 370Z or something. If you don't really want performance, buy a Camry or a GS for all I care.

Also, learn to drive manual? Can't stand guys who say "not going to buy it because can't drive it." Everyone learns at some point :) even though it doesn't really apply in this case because a manual MK4 would be a bit more expensive.

If you're considering buying a MK4 for the steez factor, everyone at the meet is going to woo when they see the MK4 roll up, but they'll cringe when it's a bone stock NA auto. I know I would.
people cringe at my stock 6 speed twin turbo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts