Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the 1/8th mile last night and launched off the 2-step (11psi) 5000 RPM and bam went my diff. It broke the case and everything. I was running the ET streets with Tien HA's set to soft. I have a ITS 66DBB turbo with EMS.

My first love is road racing but my buds all go drag racing so I went and learned the hard way. Is the TRD setup worth the money?

If anyone has or knows of someone that has a J-spec or US spec complete six speed rear end (pumpkin, hog's head) case and diff let me know please.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Without a doubt. If you enjoy corners, it is one of the best mods you can do. Speaking from personal experience.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
yeah. not sure I would go through the effort again if I had a functioning factory diff. But since you don't I'd no question buy the clutch pack from TRD.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
sorry to hear about the rearend. I havent taken my car to the drag yet but I'm very nervous since i read about so many people breaking these or the drive shafts. If something does happen to mine then I'll definately buy the Trd unit since i hear good things about them. Good luck on the rearend.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
turbomx5

I can just buy the TRD clutch pack from Toyota and put in a stock LSD and I will have a TRD LSD at that point??

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
supranatural,

sorry to hear about your rear end. mine just blew up 2 weeks ago at the drag strip as well! pretty shitty.....

anyway, you have to check if your ring and pinion gears are still okay. i'm not sure what's all gone on mine but you might have to get a set and they have a 3.27 R/P set for the 6spd you can swap with the TRD diff. that is another $450 though.

good luck and keep us posted what you do. i'm thinking about going TRD with the 3.27 or just going straight auto rear end (3.77) i have a 6spd

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sleeknsilver said:
supranatural,

sorry to hear about your rear end. mine just blew up 2 weeks ago at the drag strip as well! pretty shitty.....

anyway, you have to check if your ring and pinion gears are still okay. i'm not sure what's all gone on mine but you might have to get a set and they have a 3.27 R/P set for the 6spd you can swap with the TRD diff. that is another $450 though.

good luck and keep us posted what you do. i'm thinking about going TRD with the 3.27 or just going straight auto rear end (3.77) i have a 6spd
I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm pretty sure my case is cracked so the least expensive way to go would be to buy a complete used unit and be happy. I really would like to get the TRD diff with 3.27 gears but money is tight right now.

3.77 would make 2nd useless I would think. Not to mention you would have to shift to 5th in the 1/4.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,528 Posts
SupraNatural said:
I'm trying to decide what to do. I'm pretty sure my case is cracked so the least expensive way to go would be to buy a complete used unit and be happy. I really would like to get the TRD diff with 3.27 gears but money is tight right now.

3.77 would make 2nd useless I would think. Not to mention you would have to shift to 5th in the 1/4.
this is true for MOST supras... BUT according to the calculator off of mkiv.com a 28" tall tires and with a V161 tranny, you can be trapping 146-150 MPH in the 1/4 (4th gear) with a redline of 8000-8200 RPM ;)

i believe a complete new rear end would be over $2000! TRD lsd, 3.27 gears, rebuild parts would run you $1500 (plus labor)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sleeknsilver said:
this is true for MOST supras... BUT according to the calculator off of mkiv.com a 28" tall tires and with a V161 tranny, you can be trapping 146-150 MPH in the 1/4 (4th gear) with a redline of 8000-8200 RPM ;)

i believe a complete new rear end would be over $2000! TRD lsd, 3.27 gears, rebuild parts would run you $1500 (plus labor)
Yeah but my case is cracked so I need to buy that first than buy the LSD for $800 the 3.27 gears $425. If I can just buy a case in good condition I'd probably go that way.

·
Banned
5,062 Posts
SupraNatural,

I just recently purchased a Kaaz lsd off ebay for $807 shipped from drift factory and had Paul Efantis @ MSP install it and he said that this is far the tightest Lsd he's installed and the only thing thats come close to it is the Cusco that he has in his person car, and the Kaaz is adjustable since its a clutch type lsd.

I can send you a link to the purchase if need be.

Just thought i'd let you know my experience!
vnt :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vntperformance said:
SupraNatural,

I just recently purchased a Kaaz lsd off ebay for $807 shipped from drift factory and had Paul Efantis @ MSP install it and he said that this is far the tightest Lsd he's installed and the only thing thats come close to it is the Cusco that he has in his person car, and the Kaaz is adjustable since its a clutch type lsd.

I can send you a link to the purchase if need be.

Just thought i'd let you know my experience!
Yeah PM me the info. I'd like to keep it off the boards out of respect for Dusty (MVP). One thing with ajustible items, how do you know what to ajust it to?

Does anyone else have any experience with the Kaaz unit?

·
Banned
5,062 Posts
SupraNatural said:
Yeah PM me the info. I'd like to keep it off the boards out of respect for Dusty (MVP). One thing with ajustible items, how do you know what to ajust it to?

Does anyone else have any experience with the Kaaz unit?

I have mine adjusted to 100%, but it all depends on what type of driving you do. YGPM!

vnt

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lehman said:
yuh

my supra had a stock one
Cool, so the TRD unit is a 1.5 correct? Does Greg have the 3.27 gears do ya know?

Thanks for your input, it really does mean something coming from you.
Chris

·
Banned
5,062 Posts
SupraNatural said:
Cool, so the TRD unit is a 1.5 correct? Does Greg have the 3.27 gears do ya know?

Thanks for your input, it really does mean something coming from you.
Chris
Yes, the TRD is a 1.5!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will a J-spec rear end bolt right up? What's the difference besides it being a 3.27 instead of a 3.13?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Fine with J-spec rear end, all the same other than 3.13 v 3.27

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Syed Shah said:
Fine with J-spec rear end, all the same other than 3.13 v 3.27
So no problem with the drive shaft and half shafts working?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts