Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or will I have to take it in to have them installed??

Thanks

Jeff M

·
651 Posts
Jeff,

About a couple weeks ago I ordered a set of Koni struts and an Eibach Pro-Kit.

I had Billy from "The Max" on San Pedro do the installation and the alignment.

I paid $220 plus shipping for the Eibach kit and $125 for each strut. The installation and the alignment was another $200.

If you want, I can order the suspension for these prices.

You may want to come by and check my car out before you do it. There are some definite advantages and disadvantages to doing suspension.

Thomas Kenyon
Custom Sounds
San Antonio, Texas
210-340-4000

·
651 Posts
Oh yea, consider this... Even if you did the installation by yourself, a good alignment will run about $50 to $60. That means your cost at the MAX for installation is about $150. From what I saw, the back is easy to do... The front looked like a PITA.

My advice... don't do it yourself.

Thomas Kenyon

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
If you're at all handy with a wrench you can do it yourself easily.

Save the $150 and go hammer it out.

If you need any help, let me know. Make sure you have the right tools.

Think of it this way: do it yourself and you're able to spend the $150 as a reward to yourself on whatever you want. You come out ahead in knowledge and in $$$.

If you aren't patient, or are afraid, just get a buddy who can wrench to help you.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
ThomasKenyon said:
How would you go about compressing the springs on a DIY job?
1 - Spring compressor tool - $50 at Pep Girlz
2 - Ratchet with 1 1/16th" socket (I believe that's correct for the tool that Pep Girlz supplies)
3 - Crescent wrench

...or an air ratchet would be much faster.

I have done this on three different cars. No sweat.

If you're really hardcore you can use rope to compress the springs until you get the cap on, and then just compress with the strut assy. Several peeps have done this.

Hope that helps.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
badmuthrfkr said:
You can rent spring compressors from auto part stores too.
Good suggestion, Hua. If you don't plan on doing this kind of work often, it could save you something like $30.

...and most people do this once or twice ever... :) I guess I'm the exception.

H

·
0 Posts
I helped another Supra owner go from the stock springs to a new set of Eibachs on all four corners. The fronts were definitely harder, but once we figured out one side, the other wasn't too bad. During the whole process, I broke two cheap ratchet wrenches... I had to run to Sears to buy a good 24" breaker to get some of the bolts loose. Follow the factory manuals and it's a doable process, though not for a beginner. It took the two of us 6 hours (including several trips to the hardware store).

We didn't need to use a spring compresser. I weigh 180lbs, and it was just enough to get the retainers back on with the shorter springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts