Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive never done anything ghetto, but the temptation to drop my "4X4" stanced MKIII is just getting unbearable along with my depleated funds, Im getting desperate. Id like to know if cutting the stockers a coil or two would be sacrificing ride quality alot. Im thinking about a 1.5" in front and a 1.8" drop in back.

Anyone cut their stockers or have ridden in a MKIII with cut stockers? I think my struts are in good enough shape to handle the extra stress for a temporary ammount of time. So any advise, reviews, or dictations on this?

Edit: I searched and didnt find a good review on the ride with cut stockers :)

·
2,279 Posts
I remeber back in the day Tito would rave about his cut springs. haha

Personaly I wouldn't recommend it. The springs aren't designed to be cut.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
outofstep said:
I remeber back in the day Tito would rave about his cut springs. haha

Personaly I wouldn't recommend it. The springs aren't designed to be cut.
I've had the unfortunate experience of riding in a few cars with cut springs, two of them being MKIII's. The ride quality and handling are absolutely horrible. IMO, it's better to deal with the height of the car for awhile and you can get real lowering springs later. Hell the cheapest ones that I sell are 215 bucks and I'm sure that Ebay has several that are cheaper.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What brand would that be Trent, and how low is the drop?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
why would you drop the rear more than the front??

Ive driven in zazzns car when he had the cut springs, with tokico (tems type) and it was pretty solid... Ive also seen others that hop around, and theres a risk of the spring falling off the mount... On stock struts it would suck ass..

Ang

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
Taking the shocks and springs back out and reinstalling them are a Pain In The Ass... if you are going to all that trouble why not do it the right way? Save up a few hundred bucks and get you a good set of performance shocks and springs. It will be well worth it I promise.

If you do decide to cut your springs.... keep this in mind... the stock shocks were not made to be used with a lowered vehicle. There simply isnt enough rebound force to compensate for the increased compression caused by the cut springs. Therefore your already worn stock shocks will probably be completely blown within a year, and then you'll have to tear everything apart again to fix those.

Do it right the first time and save yourself the trouble in the long run!

·
V A S U P R A S
2,341 Posts
Im going to say

if you dont have the money now and want the look, by all means cut them. My friend heated his and compressed them. He put them back on with blown toyota stock shocks. his car is lower than mine too and i have eibachs.

- note - driving melted springs on sharp corners with dead shock is crazy

B
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been in a 500hp mk3 with cut springs and stock tem's struts and as SupraAng said, it was a pretty solid ride. Yea new struts and aftermarket springs will definately be better, but the ride quality when cutting them isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Only thing is your going to put premature wear on your struts.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SuprAng Sorry I meant the other way around :D

SupraMK3 Thanks for the advise. I have dealt with pleanty of quality aftermarket setups on my past cars (for instance, from my GSX is running Sprint springs with KYB-GR2's which gives it a great stance and caters to my ride preference quite nicely, to full Tein suspension on one of my past Hondas).

Alphaoenz Thanks for the reassurance ;) I think I will take the chance and do it since I plan on getting aftermarket suspension within 1-2 months. Would I be able to cut the springs by removing the wheels and using the dremel metal cutting wheel with the springs/struts still on the car? Is it worth the risk?

·
2,279 Posts
Thats kinda iffy man. The only way you could get away with doing that is jacking up one corner at a time and putting a spring compresser on the coil above where you are cutting. That way there is no weight on it and it's not tensioned. Still, that's just way sketchy.

If you're going to cut them, please take them off the car. Getting under the car to cut them with a dremel is asking for trouble. I don't think a dremel would be up to the task anyways.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What did you use (or what should I use) to cut the springs? Hack saw? :eek:

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
I had cut springs for 6 months. The ride was surprising good for the first 2 months, but then the shocks blew and it rode like a ricer honduh.

So if you are going to cut the springs (or use lowering springs) be sure to install new shocks at the same time. KYB non adjustables are only $50 each...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Would I be able to cut the springs by removing the wheels and using the dremel metal cutting wheel with the springs/struts still on the car? Is it worth the risk?

Take outofstep's advice. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT THE SPRINGS UNTIL THE SPRING IS OFF THE CAR. If you cut them while it is still compressed you are looking for trouble (injury and/or death). get a spring compresser and remove all the springs from the car, then cut them to the desired height.

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol you can cut em while there still on the car, use a jackstand to hold the car up (be smart) and compress teh spring, cut however much off, and then let it uncompress the spring.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
i have cut stockers with Koni Yellow shocks... for what it cost me, they are good ($20). ride quality is pretty harsh (i have my Konis on full firm front, full soft rear), but it handles really nicely.

for a temporary solution, go for it, but save your money for some H&Rs or Eibachs, they will be much better.

also, i cut 1 coil off, front and rear. its lower than eibachs, but not as low as H&Rs.

·
Closest thing to a Supra
89 Posts
I'd say safety first. Get dirty and do it the right way, IMO. I have Tein SS springs and stock struts, it feels fine to me.

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
if you plan on getting full aftermarket suspension setup w/in 1-2 months, is it really worth your trouble to cut springs now?

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
witeenigma said:
if you plan on getting full aftermarket suspension setup w/in 1-2 months, is it really worth your trouble to cut springs now?
:agreed:
You can't wait 1-2 months for a nice setup? Save you the hassle and wait a bit IMO.

Don't do it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts