Supra Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I just figured since I would be getting a new drop setup in 1-2 months, whynot just cut up the stockers for that time since its gonna be a short ride on em. Im still debating though, I dont like going ghetto, but if its not that bad ride wise, then I might do it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thats a very nice looking drop. I think I will definitly give this a try :)

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Enraged: what did you use to cut your springs? that looks pretty nice....I like the stance!

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
mine are cut in front so it looks like old skoo, lower in front and the back way up, i got 18"s o ya, as far as the ride is, feels the same its been this way for the past 4 months, but my ride died on me due to rod knock. :( i say if your poor as hell like me and cant afford any lowering springs no more cut them. ya i know i got 18" cant afford springs, cuz its BAS Style foo!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hopefully this can be of some help after all these replies.
My 91t came with cut eibachs... yeah u read that right; Cut Eibachs. 1.5 coils missing in front, and 1 coil missing in the back. Before talking about them, i should say that i replaced them with stock Eibachs because i have a steep driveway and i bottomed out. Didn't want to ruin my exhaust. ONLY reason why i sold it.
Now the review..... The car cornered like it was on rails. The car was a lot more fun to drive than it is now. There was nothing negative about the ride. From outside the car it looked like the car was bouncy, but it didn't feel like it inside the car. The car was more stable than it is now. The car didn't bounce around, and was very planted to the ground. You point the steering wheel and she just went there. ZERO body roll. NONE AT ALL. There were no gaps in the wheel well, yet the tires didn't hit or rub anywhere. I could turn the wheel entirely and not rub anywhere. Eventually if you get it too locked you'll hear the axle (or whatever it is) hitting the downpipe, but it does that even with the current setup. The car was my daily driver and was driven with the cut springs for a little over a month. I didn't find it harsh. Just a little stiffer than a regular car.
Because of this stiffer setup, the car could be set to oversteer a lot easier. The backend never came out unless i made it, but it was a lot easier to do. Can't make abrupt zig zags at high speeds without it wanting to oversteer. Never happened to me but it felt like it would if not careful. With this setup, i doubt the car would ever understeer unless very stupid.
Now the only negative i observed. Because of the poor job at cutting the springs by the previous owner (seemed like he just used a butter knife) the edges cut through the rubber piece that goes on top of the springs to avoid metal to metal contact. I think it's called bump stop; it's very thick but since the car is old they're probably the ones that came from japan with the car. Because of the metal to metal contact i heard a clunk when i went over a bump from the springs touching the top of the strut. That could've been fixed by smoothening out the edges (easy to do).
If i had a set of stock springs laying around, i would have cut them to my desired height instead of buying a set of Eibachs again. Probably 1/2 a coil on the front and 1 coil in back. That would've given me the stock Eibach's height i think.

Here are pix of the car with the cut eibachs.... Forgive the center caps, they've been fixed since then. I just bought the car when i took these. :p......

If the car rubbed, the tires would've gotten destroyed by those screws holding the panel in the wheel well.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
i had my springs cut by a local shop (i didnt have the tools to cut it), they used a grinder with a cutting wheel.

word of advise: watch how you cut the rears, you may have problems with them seating properly.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Where do you go to get this done? as far as the cutting? I wold be afraid of cutting uneven or something. I would be doing all install and that crap but anyways what type of shop for that? and about how much ballpark would it run? Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You can do it yourself with a grinder, hack saw, or other toys. I plan on using my dremel with a cut off wheel which Im sure will hold up fine (if not, I have an endless supply of cut off wheels to waste ;) ).

Just to make sure, you cut from the top of the spring correct?

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
look at the springs when they are off the car, and look how the ends catch onto the strut assembly, you'll figure it out.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts