Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. Last time I drove the car I had the top down and didnt bother to put it back up before i started working on my car. So my car's been on jacks stands without a t-top for over a month? should I worry about flex in the body or anything like that? btw, i have both the front and back jacked up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok, some may argue with me on this, but here's how I see it: Without the top on, you'll do less damage to the chassis on jackstands than you would with it just sitting on the wheels. Since the frame is being supported by either the 4 wheels or the 4 jackstands, you'll get roughly the same force, just acted on different locations. Looking at this primitive drawing I made, you can clearly see the torque about the center of the chassis is less when on jackstands than the suspension supports. Although, the weight of the car in the front and rear may tend to pull the roof sections away from each other, too. I guess, ideally, you want the jackstands as close to the suspension mounts as practical.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts