Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SLAMPIGS R US....BJBBQFTW
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...is this normal shit or am i completley on the other side of the fence here....
it took me 3 hours to take my turbo off...normal? doubt it......also every nut i took off pulled the stud out of the head.....(from exaust mani).....is there any tricks on gettin the turbo off easier? cuz i hadda jump around and take off nuts and bolts from diff places to get to one place to get one nut off to get one bolt from the turbo...several times....idk im probably just toyota retarded....think i should juss get a new head or something? since it was like incredibly hard pullin these bolts outa the head...my impact gun was struggling.....peices of the aluminum was coming out like the holes were stripped....and the motor has 140k never touched....came out of a auto that an old man had since he bought the car new...and it was babied.....so i dont think this shit was normal....what u guys think?

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
The hardest part of the CT26 is the oil. (IMO)

Once that feed banjo and return is off... from the block, it's easy street.
The nuts always used to come off easily from the turbo.

You'll get faster with experience... took me a whole weekend my first time.

(all my studs came out of my head too! time for a heli-coil. :( )

·
Registered
689 Posts
ehh the first time i took stuff off the exhaust side it was hard as hell. dont worry bout it tho, i can get my turbo out in 10 minutes easy now. try some liquid wrench if that bitch hasnt been pulled apart in 20 years. everything on the exhaust side will rust like a mother.

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
20 minutes for me to take out my turbo. i've done it soooooooo many times i know it in the back of my head.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
You guys should buy the head stud kit from driftmotion, its like $70 and comes with everything to upgrade your studs to 7/16" or 10mm.

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
use wd-40 and let sit for a w hile. After that use a breaker bar and you're good to to, that's what i did and as soon as it cracked i could use the wrench.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't worry dude. You aren't retarded;) There isn't anything wrong with the time it took you to get the turbo off. That is pretty normal. I think I might have had an easier time with it because I soaked everything on that side of the engine in PB Blaster before I started, but it took me a while as well:)

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ohh ok lol...i juss thought it was my luck...well since i wokeup n went to work it started off as a shitty day...the cars i was workin on were fuckin with me and i come home n attempt to take the turbo off and that screwed with me too...idk it was all part of the bad dayh i guess...i try again today....

but what would be the quickest ways? like first the oil lines then what?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
it took me a good 2 hours to take my turbo off the first time... but by the third and forth round i was getting everything off in around 20 minutes.

hard oil lines are a BITCH!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well me and my friend are complete mechanical idiots..I seriously think we are retarded with tools. We've been in the process of removing exhause stuff to do Helicoil for quite some time and we are just about getting the turbo off lol. Last night removing the last bolt from the turbo to the mani the bolt wouldn't give...after almost breaking my hand we got it to turn for liek a half an hour and ended up finding the nut welded to the thread, so that was awesome...

Haha

·
Registered
789 Posts
yeah my first time removing the turbo took awhile as well, now it's down to an hour but i still try to avoid removing it if i can but normally i can't so turn around time bumps up to 2 hours. I was fortunate when my studs turned out of the head cuz because to my surprise, none of them stripped! rebuilt head and new studs and nuts....no problems ever since. Oh and i strongly recommend the braided SS oil lines as well...life saver, i hated those damn oil hard lines!

·
Supra hail dent king :(
1,155 Posts
it took me a day to take mine off. the only reason it took so damn long was because my downpipe was siezed with 1 last bolt. after lots of wd-40 and a broken wrench a friend finally got it for me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Taking it off wasn't bad for me. Tough part was putting it back on. How do you guys get the copper gasket on the block side of the oil line banjo bolt. I had a bitch of a time getting it on.

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Having proper tools makes life much easier as well. I have a set of ratcheting wrenches with swivel heads that have saved me more than enough time to justify the eighty bucks I spent on them. Be sure to do things right putting it back together, replace any worn fasteners, helicoil the exhaust manifold bolts, etc. It makes life simpler. Also, buying new exhaust manifold hardware from Toyota makes things much easier, as the factory nuts are a locking style and don't work as well after a few uses, so using new fasteners is added insurance that the nuts won't back off in a few thousand miles.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ohh thank god its not only me....i felt stupid for a second here hahah....plus im a mechanic myself and it took me that long...what would i give to do this shit at the shop....omg....maby my left pinky toe...weight reduction to my clutch pedal foot :sadance:

so whats the magic tools that i need? ill go to sears right now n buy the sheit.....i know swivels n shyt but i dont wanna buy the whole fukkin rack ya kno lol....

and so im guessin i should re-tap the mani bolt holes? and would it be bad if i juss made my own oil lines? make life easier n shyt......

·
Registered
179 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
If the turbo has never been removed, yes hours of labor is normal.

If its been removed and installed recently, its a 15 minute job.
That's good to hear, I was beginning to think I was a freak because it took me 8 hours the first time, but I was doing other stuff like the radiator too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts