Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it hard to take the intake manifold off and replace the injectors by myself? has anyone done it?
I really dont wanna spend $700 to have my new injectors replaced....

thanx

Jonas

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get yourself the toyota servoce manual for the supra. it shows what needs to come off and where the nuts and bolts are. if you haven't done it before, it should take you a little over an hour

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
jeremy haakonso said:
get yourself the toyota servoce manual for the supra. it shows what needs to come off and where the nuts and bolts are. if you haven't done it before, it should take you a little over an hour
Have you actually done this yourself?

Sure looks to me like a lot more than an hour to pull off the throttle body, all lines/hoses, pull off the intake manifold, pull the fuel rail, disassemble the rail and pull out the injectors.

It is also a pain in the ass on a '94 because the TRAC assembly is in the way when you try to get at some of the bolts that hold on the intake.

Probably a good idea to replace the seals and o-rings that retain the injectors in the rail.

I would plan on a full day, working slowly and carefully.

·
Very Senior Member
9,950 Posts
jeremy haakonso said:
......... it should take you a little over an hour
Heh - famous last words.
It does look like it would take a lot longer than that.
Besides, everytime I see an estimate for some mod (like at mkiv.com) it takes me a lot longer.
I've seen estimates of changing plugs (and crankcase hoses) of 15-20 minutes.!!!!! I don't think so!!!!!

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
VickSupra said:

Heh - famous last words.
It does look like it would take a lot longer than that.
Besides, everytime I see an estimate for some mod (like at mkiv.com) it takes me a lot longer.
I've seen estimates of changing plugs (and crankcase hoses) of 15-20 minutes.!!!!! I don't think so!!!!!
I have no idea where some of those estimates come from, maybe too much of what 2Rip has in his sig...:).

I never try to work fast, it's not like I'm billing myself by the hour. If I break something or screw it up by hurrying I feel like a major fool.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
it takes about 30min to take the manifold off. its pretty strait forward. just make sure to remember where all the hoses and whatnot go, maybe take some paper and tape and write where they go on the paper then tape them to the hose so you can remember. this is what i did when whenever i did engine swaps on hondas and it helped alot. it should take around ide be ready for at least a 3-4 hr job though

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx for the input guys. I'm just looking at the repair manual on injector removal, seems pretty straight forward, I should just take my time and make sure everything is put back the right way.

is there anything I should be careful about?

also, should I replace all the gaskets and seals noted in the repair manual (ex, throttle body, inktae manifold, EGR, fuel rail gaskets etc?) other than the injectors insulators and seals?

last, I dont think I would need to disconnect all the sensors and solenoids ON the intake manifold correct? just need to unplug them?

thanx for your helps, it would really help me get thru this with a bit more confidence.

Jonas

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, just unplug the VSVs and sensors. Remember where each bolt goes by installing it into the same threads once the part has been removed. It's easy to do, as long as you have decent tools (swivels, etc), and common sense. Use a towel or a blanket on the fender to prevent paint damage. Good luck!

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like a fun day in my garage...thanx for the help guys.

Jonas

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
On my web site under fuel sys is a doc on getting the manifold on and off.

I didn't replace the gaskets this time. They are metal and reusable if you don't damage them.

O rings are pretty expensive.

I'd allow all day to do the job if you have never done it before. I spent an hour on getting one damn bolt back in. It's harder putting the stuff back together than getting it out sometimes.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
great info! thanx for the link! awsome looking car BTW!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts