Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of doing it myself...otehr then timing belt tensioner that I need to borrow from my friend, is there anything I should be aware of? or is it pretty much just straight bolt-on part?

thanx

Jonas

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it on my old auto....

Yep, pain in the ars, but doable. Thanks to Cooter over at SP for his suggestions I was able to get the crank bolt off. I ended up disconnecting the resitor pack for the injectors, pulled the main ECU fuse and with the proper size socket, I think it was a 17mm, could have been larger, a nice 4' piece of galvanized 1.5" pipe, place the pipe on my half inch ratchet handle, made sure pipe was in the correct direction braced on the ground and just one quick turn (bump) of the ignition broke it loose. With 2 people you can try holding on to one of the crank bolt via the access port under the car while the other person attempt to loosen the nut. I did it by myself so that really was not an option.

I suggest you get the Toyota service manuals too, they do come in handy....

Melvin

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Definitely get the service manuals and follow them. I used the same method as mello2 for taking off the crank pully, it was easy. Don't use a ratchet though, it could break. A breaker bar from Walmart worked for me.

Some of the water pump bolts are a PITA. Nothing difficult really, just takes some time. Be sure and recompress the timing belt tensioner or get a new one.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crank bolt size is 22mm. Other than that should be pretty easy, but messy. You also might need a new thermostat (get a TRD 160F one), and new gaskets and o-rings. Clayton at Jay Marks has all the parts needed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My breaker bar broke.....

but my ratchet didn't....They both are from the same kit, not top flight but OK. Kimberly-Clark gave them to me years ago when I was an electrician cross training to be a mechanic. I'm sure you understood me when I said half inch I was refering to the drive size.

Anyway, here's a fuzzy picture of the broken breaker bar and the ratchet I used. Maybe the breaker loosened enough for the ratchet....:) the drive broke right off the breaker bar.....

Not to dispute you Grant, just to illustrate that the breaker bar could break too. :D

Melvin

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mmm...I think I 'll just take it to my shop and have them do it for me instead, dont really wanna mess with tiing belt and hard-to-remove bolts...

thanx guys!

Jonas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts