Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I was replacing my rims today with my new 18" Gewalts I realized I have 1 stud broken in the left front wheel. so now I only have 4 wheel nuts on there.

is it hard to replace the stud? what are the steps need to access the stud? I have replaced my brake rotors before but couldnt see where the stud is inserted.....or should I just take it to a dealer and have them do it?

thanx

Jonas

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I would just remove the rotor and hammer the stud out from the front with a point chisel and hammer. Removing the rotor should give you easier acces to the hub(I think that is what it is called) to remove the stud. I had to replace a couple of rear studs, but was able to do it with the rotor on. Good luck.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx,

so once I hummer out the stud, is it hard to put the new one back into the hub? I guess I would have to take thatmetal cover off also?
I was reading the repair manual on hub replacement and I was afriad I have to take the whole hub assembly apart...

thanx

Jonas

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I wouldn't think so. Just put the stud through from behind and use a lug nut to pull it through. If that is the case sorry. I found out the Toyota studs are weaker then Nissans studs. I only torque down to 72ft/lbs for the Supra. My Z I torqued down to 90ft/lbs.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no shit! i torqued mine at 90lbs! time to down some pressure...

I will order the stud from Toyota and hopefully everything will work the way you told me:)

thanx!

jonas

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Z's recommended torque is 76 ft/Lbs as well :)

Before you hammer anything, make sure the stud can come out on the back side, without hitting suspension or something.

Also, like S. said, use open-end lugnut to pull the whole stud thruough, and seat it in the hub.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monster,

so how much torque do you use for your supra wheels? do you think 80lbs is sufficient?

does the front wheel hub differnt from the rear?

thanx

Jonas

·
Registered
473 Posts
wheel lugs

Jonas,

If you have to replace 1 lug, replace all 20. There's a great chance you'll have this problem all around, and losing more than 2 at speed could have dire consequences!!!!

Adrenaline Motorsports

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for the input,

I replaced it already, it wasnt as difficult as I expected, just tok my time and make sure the stud sits in the hub nicely when torque down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts