Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got new wheels for the car and the front wheels just BARELY cleared the caliper so i used 5 big washers inbetween the wheel and the brake rotor as a spacer...is this safe? lmk thanks

Mike

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
Probably not the safest, but as long as they aren't that thick and the wheel is still sitting on the hub in the center, it might be okay.

Probably best to pick up a proper set of spacers in the long run.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know of any places that sell spacers? Would kragen or pep boys have anything like this? Thanks lmk

Mike

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
They will have universal spacers. These work but aren't that great - especially with a wheel that's supposed to be hub-centric. If your's is then you'll want to be careful. Personally I HATE spacers. Can you clearance the calipers?

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
Just pick up some spacers from H&R. They make very good spacers and have many different sizes so you can probably find one that you need. It's not even that expensive either. If you can afford a MKIV, I'm sure you can afford a set of wheel spacers!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
blkmgk- I cant clear the calipers thats why i have to put the washers in the front...

trilabs- Its going to be a bitch to grind....

rookie- Ill look for some on H&R...

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
875 Posts
just my 0.02$ contribution but i think spacers significantly increase the stress on your wheel studs = more prone to failure = accident waiting to happen.

i hear spacers are mainly used in show cars to make them look good, (ie not designed to be driven with) rather than on road cars.

·
Launching in 3...2...1...
480 Posts
well working in a tire shop I would have a little more of an idea than most people. But I ain't saying I'm a pro. Spacers do put a little more stress on the Studs because you are moving the weight more to the end of the stud. However, this extra stress is not near enough to cause any problems. Another problem, putting a spacer will also through off the alignment, but again this shouldn't be enough of a change(depending on the thickness of the spacer) to cause any problems. Another problem I thought about is that using Washers, the wheel is not sitting flush against the caliper. This could cause problems I can't even and don't even want to think about. Plus being on the front of the car.......................ug, more speed, more risky

I would use a spacer if needed, however I would take those washers out. It's too risky in my opinion

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
I have a set of spacers for my front wheels. They're 10mm spacers which are hubcentric to the hub AND the wheel.

I had my front RAYS wheels fitted with test-spacers to find out just how thick of a spacer I needed.

I know that after 20 or 25mm, quality spacers come with attached studs, which reduces the stress. Mine are only 10mm, so new studs aren't neccessary. Only problem with mine are, I might need special et lugnuts that grab more threads, or longer studs. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get 7 turns with my stock studs.

Lots of racecars use spacers, so they aren't THAT bad. You just have to do it right. Get spacers that are hubcentric to the hub and the wheel. I had to call Mackin and get the centerbore for my specific wheel. You need to tell whoever makes the spacers your hub centerbore and the centerbore of your wheel. The hub is 60.1mm, and my wheel centerbore was 73.1mm. Good luck:p

billy

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
FYI: I've used these guys...

http://www.wheelspacer.com/
I used a pair of their hub-centric spacers when I widened my oem rear rims by 2" (up to 11.5"), and they worked great.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/oem_mkiv_rim_widened/index.html
Note: I wouldn't recommend using washers. If the rim isn't supported by being against the hub or a spacer, it's free to bend (slightly) during cornering, which will in turn put more stress on the studs/lugs. I believe there would be a higher probability of wheel stud failure.

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
Re: FYI: I've used these guys...

pwpanas said:
I used the same guys for my wheel spacers. There are a couple shops in California that can make you whatever you want. They use quality 6061 aluminum too.

I actually drove to the shop on my way to the paint shop. If you order from www.wheelspacer.com talk to Fred Goeske, he's real helpful and took care of me. It was pretty interesting to see how they make em. I saw the big huge sticks of aluminum that they shave off of to make the spacers. Pretty cool stuff

billy

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Hewey56 said:
Another problem, putting a spacer will also through off the alignment, but again this shouldn't be enough of a change(depending on the thickness of the spacer) to cause any problems.
uhhh. help me out here. Please explain how changing the offset of a wheel effects the alignment? It isn't mathmatically possible.

You need to make sure that you can still thread the nut onto the stud at least as far as the stud is wide. Otherwise, you are weakening the threaded strength of the stud.

Matt

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
turbomx5 said:
uhhh. help me out here. Please explain how changing the offset of a wheel effects the alignment? It isn't mathmatically possible.
What do you know about math? You went to the wrong college to be discussing mathematics.... ballet or poetry however... you are more than qualified - twinkle-toes.

C

·
0 Posts
turbomx5 said:
Pushing the wheel farther out on the studs will cause the weight to be distributed differently, causing the suspension to compress a little more, and change the camber.

Is it enough that it will matter? No. I don't even know if it's enough to measure with anything less than a micrometer, but yes, it'll change it.

SR

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
What do you know about math? You went to the wrong college to be discussing mathematics.... ballet or poetry however... you are more than qualified - twinkle-toes.
hahaha. dude - you're an asshole.

how's your basketball season going?

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
turbomx5 said:
hahaha. dude - you're an asshole.

how's your basketball season going?
We're 7-2 while the fairys are 8-2... so don't even start talking that smack. :fruit:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts