Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about me yeah.. I own a supra and am not a super gearhead. (imagine that) I know a little about a little bit. I think I grasp the basics of most things but am afraid to screw up my car if I do something to it like over boosting. (I know a lot of the major ebc's have a safegaurd tho)

Not to get too personal but I had slight brain damage as an infant as a reaction to a standard DPT shot and lost use of my entire right side of my body. (I guess that was pretty personal) I have since regained full functionality of my whole body but have a memory problem. I cannot seem to retain information (this is not a cop-out) I've read hundreds of tech articles but continue to forget what I read. It is EXTREMELY frustrating.

I really love cars. I REALLY love supras. And I'd really love to be able to modify it without feeling ..i guess insecure. call me a pussy but I just don't want to f--- my supra up.

Do you think I would be wasting my time money and car trying do stuff to it? Or do you think it would help me slowly learn more about my car?

I basically want to finish bpu (bcc and ebc) and add an intercooler for better airflow (and for a possible future single turbo when I need to replace the stock twins) but I'm not sure how to install all these parts. I feel like if i don't know how to istall and/or tune something, I shouldn't be buying it in the first place.

sorry for rambling.. input would be nice.

thanks.

//gwailo-

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
I think you'd do fine to do many of the basic mods...and you should definitely call on your local buddy resources around here in the PacNW. Many of us would be happy to help you out. Staying cautious and taking it slow is a great thing with regard to modding the car, and BPU mods will allow you to enjoy the car quite a bit more than you already do, without taking it to the "dangerous" world that extended mods can. Just be sure to get a second or third opinion each time you're doing a new mod and I bet you'll be just fine. :D

Steve T.

·
I put up BS Flags
1,023 Posts
In my honest opinion if you want to further your knowledge you have to jump into things like this and be willing to risk damaging parts. In fact the more things the break the more things you learn. But you must make sure you learn from the mistakes you make. The tech articles help and all but once you get down to it with cars you ALWAYS run into problems that are not in the tech articles. In fact I bet its more frustrating then reading the articles and forgetting them :p . Well atleast its more expensive. In short if you wanna learn you might learn more from some "hands on experience" and dont be afraid to get your hands dirty. Well if you are there is always latex gloves or mechanix gloves. :D

Good Luck try not to blow too much up.

·
Defender of the Universe
463 Posts
I think its certainly still worthwhile to pursue doing something you enjoy. If you are afraid of screwing anything up, maybe you could have a friend help you who knows what he is doing? The two mods you have left for bpu are much more electrical than anything else, so maybe just someone who has knowledge in that, then get the instructions off of mkiv.com

I dont think you should let anyone tell you you shouldnt mod your car because of a slight disability. You clearly want to learn about it, its not like you are some ignorant asshole who just slaps stuff onto his car without thinking about it. Oh, and for someone who isnt a gearhead, you have a nice couple cars there :p

good luck with whatever you choose

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's my mom's vette (03' 50th anniversary ;) )

The dawg is mine. I've had it since I was 16 (yeah a little early for such an awsome machine because almost anything I get after this will be worthless in comaprison :p ) I am 19 now and the only things I have dont to it are put on a new exhaust and downpipe, A BOV, and a audio system. (the ricey shit.)

I and my friend have a goal to make my car into a show car but I want to be able to drive it without worrying about scratching the paint or adding to the already 130k + miles to it :p

I just don't want to get in too deep without knowing wtf im doing.

Granted there isn't much to visual modifications. It's the performance area I am reserved on.

you guys are bein hella supportive though and made me feel a little more comfortable about all this (i sound like a pussy tho, i kno)

I'll keep yall posted on my progression (if any) ;)

//gwailo-

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
GwailosuprA said:
That's my mom's vette (03' 50th anniversary ;) )

The dawg is mine. I've had it since I was 16 (yeah a little early for such an awsome machine because almost anything I get after this will be worthless in comaprison :p ) I am 19 now and the only things I have dont to it are put on a new exhaust and downpipe, A BOV, and a audio system. (the ricey shit.)

I and my friend have a goal to make my car into a show car but I want to be able to drive it without worrying about scratching the paint or adding to the already 130k + miles to it :p

I just don't want to get in too deep without knowing wtf im doing.

Granted there isn't much to visual modifications. It's the performance area I am reserved on.

you guys are bein hella supportive though and made me feel a little more comfortable about all this (i sound like a pussy tho, i kno)

I'll keep yall posted on my progression (if any) ;)

//gwailo-
Being SMART, and being a pussy, are two very different things! You are being smart unless you have wealthy parents or a huge trust fund...... take your time to learn your car.

You are 19 what you learn now will help you into the future. Hire a shop to install the harder parts. Watch them carefully go to a shop that allows you to watch!

So keep reading you obviously retain more than 50% of the folks on here, seeing you can at least put a few words together that make some semblance of sense.;)
130k your gonna need some knowledge to keep her in fine running order anyway. Just to save some cash you should learn it.
Good luck, and hit the guys up from your area to help STEVE will have plenty of time as soon as his car sells. He will get a withdrawl and be looking for a fix! :D

S

·
0 Posts
Man id play it safe and hook up with a reputable shop who will lead you it the right direction and you wont have to worry about blowing your shit up.:)

T

·
0 Posts
Don't feel bad GwalioSupra i dont know much about the supra either, i bought mine the way it was and gave it to brother for his 16th birthday, in seach for a stock one to start from scratch.but i dont have the money for that right now. but it is good to push the limits, it teaches u more. still can n e one teach me anything about the sura

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does anyone know any good reputable shops around the NW? I live in NW Washington. I know there is HPF and TF in Oregon but I don't make it down there much (not that I couldn't if needed.) Is there any place closer?

btw in response to a comment. My mom is not rich, but we are not poor. I have NO trust fund or wad of cash somewhere that I didn't work for. I am a full time Al Bundy (asst. mngr. at a shoe store.) and pay for everything I can myself. I am almost up to 6 large in my savings now and am wanting to get the ball rolling.

My next plans are in my sig (bcc and ebc.) To my knowledge, all I need to bypass the stock limiters are the trac fuse and the bcc right? Is there anything else I need to take into consideration?

thanks again.

//gwailo-

·
Previously Premier Panda
1,750 Posts
GwailosuprA, I am in the same boat with the Brain Injury. I know what it is like to forget things. I can rent the same movie four times, and yet I wont remember until a 1 hour or so into the movie that I had previously rented it.

I have managed to overcome much of this, esp. with tech issues. For example, when I installed my BCC, I printed out the directions in large print for reference, and not only did I check over each particular wire multiple times before cutting, and crimping, I labeled each wire during the install as not to confuse them.

I can't really help you about the "super gearhead" thing, but alot of confidence is required to do mechanical acts. Try to have a friend do things for you where you can really watch the action, and ask him to let you do the busy work until you feel confident to do more.

·
Registered
391 Posts
GwailosuprA,
I think you've made the right decision by coming on here and voicing your concerns. There are a lot of knowledgable folks on here and I don't think they would hestitate to help you out if you need it or at least point you in the right direction. I don't think your disability should affect the enjoyment of your hobby, your goals or the ability for you just to simply enjoy your Supra. I say you take it on bro!!

BTW,
Being SMART, and being a pussy, are two very different things!
:agreed:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Go for it! Bcc and ebc are pretty easy installs. I had no previous experience working on cars prior to my supra, and I have gone full bpu, rebuilt the brakes, and removed and replaced the stock turbos by myself. I also do all of the maintenance myself. I think you should be alright as long as you have the directions printed out while you're modding. And if you label everything(wires, etc.), you should be alright if you ever have to redo anything in case you forget what is what.
And of course, if you have any questions just hit up the forum and MKIV.com. I've learned an abundance of info from this site.
Tony

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Of course you don't need to be very knowledgeable in order to mod your car, just look at me. I knew nothing, and now I have a blown tranny, a car that runs lean all the time, a car that barely drives... wait a sec, where am I going with this? :D

Seriously though. I knew nothing when I first got my car and slowly, with the help of Supraforums I learned how to do a lot. if you forget something you can always save threads and reference them later. There is no limit to the stuff you can do yourself, as long as you have a daily driver to fall back on. If the Supra is your only car, just keep it to simple BPU jobs yourself.

·
//gwailo-
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a little 94 celica @ my disposal too (moms car that I am actually driving about 80% of the time for winter even though there is no snow.) I'm sure I can follow instructions fine. tuning will be another issue. getting the grasp on what all does what (like i said, i know the basics)

btw veilside. Your supra is beautiful. Is that a pearl white?

EDIT: nevermind. I read your sig. Got any more pics of your car? I think I've seen other pics before but wouldn't ya know I forgot! :p

//gwailo-

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
And it's always good to have a beater car to screw up on:D That's what I started on, and now I do all the mods I can myself on my 97'. If I don't have the right tools or whatnot, then I improvise:p

There's always gonna be something that's gonna go totally wrong, and i've had my share of mishaps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I'm BPU right now and did almost everything myself with the help of other owners. Getting other owners to help you out really helps and you can learn from them as well. I'm no where near the gearheads alot of them are, but you have to start somewhere right?

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
I hope it's not pointless b/c I don't know what I'm doing either but you have to start somewhere. Why not start with a car you really like and enjoy learning about it? I don't see how it could be nearly as enjoyable learning on a beater or a car that wasn't as fun. I probably wouldn't be motivated at all with a car I didn't like so much. I say go for it. It seems like there are some guys in your area that might be willing to help you out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts