Discussion Starter · #1 ·
supra 87 none turbo with 171xxx miles on it
here is whats wrong with it:
rusted body
transmission is almost gone (first gear is gone) AT
ripped passenger seat
paint is stripping
water coming in trhoug targa top
coolant going I dont know where (every 2 days have to refill aux tank with water)
sawblades are horrible (condition is horrible)
Dont get me wrong, I love my "Suprita" as I call her, I just wanna know If its going to last after the someone changes the tranny, or do they have more problems after tranny replacement
does anybody know???

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
sounds like a typical supra project...i would honestly hunt for a 89+ 5spd turbo, but even then youre looking at about the same amount of work unless its had a good owner...and i mean VERY good.

rust, fuck it
tranny, 5spd swap it
passenger seat, who needs em anyways, all they do is bitch
paint...does a car work without it? yes
targa top, seals, done

vanishing coolant...hmmm, i wonder what THAT could mean...#1 mk3 problem, bad headgasket. invest in a turbo motor, 7mgte, 1jz, 2jz or rebuild what you have if youre content with n/a power

sawblades, ive seen people put a shine on shit, seriously mythbusters did it litterally. but ive seen blades make a big turnaround on here

future issues, make sure your electrical is tip top, seems like ive seen/heard of a few fires happening lately (cars are getting old, you cant expect a lot out of old decrepit wiring) do a compression test/leakdown test both without and then with a teaspoon of oil. next run the car up to temp and do the same tests. this should verify even the smallest bad headgasket problem. other than that, the rest is mostly basic maintenance...if you dont have the will power to fix things yourself these cars can get costly really easily. and technically im still a "newb" myself...youll get plenty of more "issues" in future posts im sure

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your answer suprajztwenty, i thought of a bhg too, but it was replaced 5000 miles ago, and it only does it when is really a hot day or week, this winter i did not see the add coolant light at all, car drives smooth, has excellent hp, had a great mpg before my tranny went bad on me 8 to 12 mpg now :(
main concern is tranny as my wife doesn't drive stick and we have a limited budget

·
not a poopra anymore!
1,095 Posts
you shouldnt have a problem finding a decent auto trans on here or craigslist...someones always doing a 5spd swap and trying to make up some lost funds...sometimes you can find a cool guy and he may just give it to you.

i wouldnt rebuild the trans or take it to a shop unless you have the money. doing a trans on these cars is a pain,well as much as any other trans, but with a helper they go quickly. search transmission removal or something like that and see if theres a guide for auto.

as for the tight budget, i feel ya there man...my bad headgasket is going to sit for a month or 2...again. its moto season, so the money i save in gas and some overtime goes into the poopra jar.

also, hotter temps cause higher pressures in the coolant system, hence the leakage.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
some people has started off with worse...

coolent is found all over my #6,#5,#4 spark plugs like a puddle. Everytime I go to change the plugs I would have to soak all that shit up before pulling them out. I also have a 7mge non turbo. Check for coolent there. I have no idea why mine is this way but im just going to swap the whole thing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
build a ramp and a ring of fire to jump through and a brick wall at the end!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
If you dont want to fix it and you know you wont get enough money back for it (cant tell because theres no photos) then part it out. THE WORST possible thing you can do is scrap it. Dont let all the good stuff go to waste. Plus you will get more money back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts