Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it getting a bov(GREDDY TYPE-S) when you have a automatic bpu? Only time you can hear it would be when you let off.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's up to you to make that call, but it would make your turbos last longer by avoiding compressor surge.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I had an auto BPU and I don't regret having a BOV one bit. I would usually lift my foot off the gas a bit while manually shifting the auto to save the tranny from being damaged. Of course, a BOV on a 6spd is MUCH cooler.

·
Old School
4,059 Posts
JDMSUPRA said:
It's up to you to make that call, but it would make your turbos last longer by avoiding compressor surge.
Why? His car already has a blow off valve routed back to the intake (also called a bypass valve). All stock Supras do.

The only reason to put an aftermarket BOV on a stock twin car is for the noise.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lagtime is right all turbo cars come with a bov. The only reason to upgrade bov is for sound or if you are running larger turbos and running high boost and the stock one is leaking.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
On the same subject.. do MKIV's suffer from the rich fuel condition that MKIII's do with atmospheric vented BOV's? I orded the HKS bov for my 94.. I am wondering if I should order the S-AFR with EIDS as well.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i can answer that one, any car that as the maf before the bov and the atmosphere bov well have rich problems.

The reason why is that you are letting air go outside of the intake system, yet that air has already been read by the computer so it going to give the amount of fuel need to X amount of air yet you are give the engine X-Y air, so in the end you have a small period of richness.

My idea and has always worked for my DSM is just don't vent unless you are running the maf after the bov. Which is only done for large turbos

·
Old School
4,059 Posts
DSMwildfire0310 said:
i can answer that one, any car that as the maf before the bov and the atmosphere bov well have rich problems.

The reason why is that you are letting air go outside of the intake system, yet that air has already been read by the computer so it going to give the amount of fuel need to X amount of air yet you are give the engine X-Y air, so in the end you have a small period of richness.

My idea and has always worked for my DSM is just don't vent unless you are running the maf after the bov. Which is only done for large turbos
Well, I have one (HKS SSQ) vented to atmosphere on my stock MAF Supra. If it runs rich ever I can't see it. No black puffs of smoke ever out the tailpipe when shifting, no stalling or stumbling on deceleration, it drives 100% the same as it did when I had the stock bypass valve in there.

I know in theory it should be rich when losing metered air. My assumption is having a new, quick reacting O2 sensor keeps the ECU happy...

(I bought it for the noise. So sue me.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
My FJO wll read a 10:1 AFR for a split second at the time of the swoosh right before I shift so I can understand what he means. My bpu+++ used to run very rich before I replaced my pressure tank, PCV and added SAFCII.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts