Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my first job, and im bringing in a nice, steady stream of cash. I was wondering if i should put any money into my 1989 Supra. Its not turbocharged and has 170000 miles (20K of which are on a new engine). My dad says that as long as i take care of the car and fix whatever breaks, it will last as long as i want it to. I just dont want to put a load of money into this car making it fast only to have the tranny blow (or some other catastrophic failure) and have to spend even MORE to fix it.

I love my Supra, its a blast to drive (although very slow). I want to keep it a couple more years, but i was wondering if i should save up to buy a new car when mine dies.
o.
Anyway, tell me what you would do. Thanks for any and all advice.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Once you start modding, you will never stop. :) :bigthumb:

Be sure the car is working 100% at the stock level before you do any sort of modification.

·
SuFra TuRvo
1,381 Posts
blackout_89t said:
Once you start modding, you will never stop. :) :bigthumb:
Very true...all I promised myself was intake and exhaust. So much for that....

If you intend to baby and maintain it, sounds like money well spent and something to proud of in the end. Just my opinion... :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i've got an 89' NA. It's a sweet ass fun car to drive but most MKIIIs have lots of problems, and parts aren't cheap. With that many miles somethings going to go wrong with that tranny. I've gone through a tranny already at 107k and I'm just now replacing the clutch. When my clutch went out...everything else in the tranny went out along with it...sucks...Not a very reliable car. Fun to drive. Not fast. Looks good.

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
the 5 speed trannies are good transmissions and u wont have to worry nearly as much about blowing it up compared to the auto tragic

·
Banned, jk lol
3,871 Posts
Good to see you here, Mike. :) IMO though, I would probably save up for a turboed MKIII, or just sell your current one and put that money towards one.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
mikeg8807 said:
I want to keep it a couple more years, but i was wondering if i should save up to buy a new car when mine dies.
Am I missing something here? What else would you do when your car dies? You better have the money saved up. Common sense there!

And no I would just keep your money and save for a better car.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Na's need love too! Keep it IMO.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trent said:
Am I missing something here? What else would you do when your car dies? You better have the money saved up. Common sense there!

And no I would just keep your money and save for a better car.
heh, i just caught that myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts