Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to swap in a 1jzgte or is it too much of a hassle? Is it Easier and more beneficial to build up a 7mgte? The 1jz just looks so much more efficient and advanced. How long did it take you guys?

·
Registered
929 Posts
if you have all the parts, it shouldn't take you long. maybe 1 - 2 days worth if you're doing it for the first time. the only long part of the swap is extending the harness. everything else is pretty much the same as the 7m.

and yes, it's definately worth it.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
1-2 days?

lol, I would say I got about a month or so into it since getting the motorset.... Not everyone can throw it together in a couple days :rolleyes:

And I found out the hard way that even with all the information on the swap, their are still some things you learn on your own, including the fact you mite need some parts that seem to never be mentioned in anyones List of thing you need.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
yea its always a while before the swap is completed.....

my cressida has a 22R and i got my 1jzgte with harness uncut(right hand drive so no extending harness:D) but it took a day to remove my old motor and drop in the 1jz, and believe me, it was amazing to see it just fit in there without any modifications or spacing issues besides the radiator and clutch fan spacing(which required me to get twin electric fans)

After that, it took my electrician about a week to wire up my car and have it starting.

1jz leaves my face like this ---> :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D....all the time i drive it, in all seriousness, i never driven my car and felt bored or unhappy, just a big grin when under WOT :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
well i said if you have everything, it's possible. i'm sure i can do a swap in a couple days if i have everything i need on hand.

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
no

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dont rush yourself on the swap you will probably mess something up, not to mention if your in a hurry its just going to cause you to screw up something. Take your time replace all the gaskets and seals etc.

Also like mentioned your gonna find out you need parts you dont have, and that could take days rite there.

Also remember that guys like Driftmotion and 935motorsports that do these swaps regularly still take a few days to complete them.

Just make sure you have other modes of transportaion if your supra is your only car, and plan for the worst, but expect the best.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It's definitely worth it, but it's not easy for most people. Paying a shop to do it would make it very expensive, and probably not worth it.

You need to have a good understanding of reading schematics and then translating whats on the schematic into finding the wires/relays etc on the car. Finding a good reliable importer for your motor is also an important consideration. You should have another car while all this is going on. Don't do this to your daily driven Supra.

It's worth the effort, but be prepared to spend considerable time to do it right, all things considered.

Later on

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
you guys... you have to remember.. whats worth it to you.. is different for others. it all depends.. everything is relative. talk to lots of people and see what the REAL differences between the motors are.. dont do it cuz it just sounds better. There ARE plusses and minuses to everything. find out from people who can really tell you. " yah my 1jz is way more badass than my old 7m" is not a good way for you to judge what is right for you.

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Majik16106 said:
you guys... you have to remember.. whats worth it to you.. is different for others. it all depends.. everything is relative. talk to lots of people and see what the REAL differences between the motors are.. dont do it cuz it just sounds better. There ARE plusses and minuses to everything. find out from people who can really tell you. " yah my 1jz is way more badass than my old 7m" is not a good way for you to judge what is right for you.

OK DR. Phil....Way to analize it...

Why not if the people like the 1J better than there old 7M, what else do ya wanna hear????

7M guys that knock the 1J are guys that have usually never ben in a car with one, or are into some serious 7M build ups and HP.. The die hards..

7M= Gay when BPU..

1J= Fun when BPU.

If you want to get a motor that i realiable, the the JZ series engines are the way to go..

Thats why your starting to see allot of 240 drifters swapping them into there drift cars, it reliable,strong and takes very little to make a good 350-400whp.. Or more with simple fuel and a bigger turbo..
You dont have to open up the 1J unless your going for allot off hp like 600whp+..

Anyway just get a clip dude....

Josh

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
ranger2339 said:
1)OK DR. Phil....Way to analize it...

2)Why not if the people like the 1J better than there old 7M, what else do ya wanna hear????

3)7M guys that knock the 1J are guys that have usually never ben in a car with one, or are into some serious 7M build ups and HP.. The die hards..

4)If you want to get a motor that i realiable, the the JZ series engines are the way to go..

5)Thats why your starting to see allot of 240 drifters swapping them into there drift cars, it reliable,strong and takes very little to make a good 350-400whp.. Or more with simple fuel and a bigger turbo..
You dont have to open up the 1J unless your going for allot off hp like 600whp+..

Josh
1)wow... i appreciate the smart ass comment first of all.

2) plenty.. ask people who have asked me. there is a MAJOR difference between the way the motors feel. There is plenty based on what the guy wants his car to do. If you dont know what im talking about or cannot put it into words.. i guess your not qualified to give a good review of differences between the 2.

3) I hope your not addressing me here.. because if you are.. i suggest you re-read who helped write the Faq for this swap when this sub-forums first opened up. me and eric rhodes were among the first to publicaly post on these forums discussing the tech aspects of doing the swap and letting people know what to expect.I have owned one.. modded many.. and driven plenty in all sorts of states of tune. And that goes for 1jz a70's, 7m a70s, 2jz a70s and even a 1ggte car.

4) are you sure...? first off people do run into problems with the swap. there is the common running rich problem. ISC valves tend to go bad .. the turbos blow at higher boost after not too long for most people ( i know some survive) and like other jz series motors.. at around 80k you can expect to pull the head off for new valve seals and cleaning. same as any other motor.. mileage, maintence, and good tuning are keys to reliablilty.. doesnt matter what you build.

5)um.. ct26 upgrade is 375rwhp? what bolt on turbo for the 1jz does 450rwhp cuz the 7m can make 500rwhp with the sp or boss bolt-ons? oh thats right.. you pretty much have to spend big bucks to go past the stock twins because you need a full on kit... manifold and all.

im not bashing 1jz cars, im not bashing 7ms. but everyones situation is different. it depends on what you want. i love both motors for very different reasons. ask some of the guys with big 1jz cars.. most would tell you they would like a 7m car as well because it just drives different. so dont go off at me for trying to offer some helpful advice.. cuz its not me who doesnt have a clue.

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
Majik16106 said:
1)wow... i appreciate the smart ass comment first of all.

2) plenty.. ask people who have asked me. there is a MAJOR difference between the way the motors feel. There is plenty based on what the guy wants his car to do. If you dont know what im talking about or cannot put it into words.. i guess your not qualified to give a good review of differences between the 2.

3) I hope your not addressing me here.. because if you are.. i suggest you re-read who helped write the Faq for this swap when this sub-forums first opened up. me and eric rhodes were among the first to publicaly post on these forums discussing the tech aspects of doing the swap and letting people know what to expect.I have owned one.. modded many.. and driven plenty in all sorts of states of tune. And that goes for 1jz a70's, 7m a70s, 2jz a70s and even a 1ggte car.

4) are you sure...? first off people do run into problems with the swap. there is the common running rich problem. ISC valves tend to go bad .. the turbos blow at higher boost after not too long for most people ( i know some survive) and like other jz series motors.. at around 80k you can expect to pull the head off for new valve seals and cleaning. same as any other motor.. mileage, maintence, and good tuning are keys to reliablilty.. doesnt matter what you build.

5)um.. ct26 upgrade is 375rwhp? what bolt on turbo for the 1jz does 450rwhp cuz the 7m can make 500rwhp with the sp or boss bolt-ons? oh thats right.. you pretty much have to spend big bucks to go past the stock twins because you need a full on kit... manifold and all.

im not bashing 1jz cars, im not bashing 7ms. but everyones situation is different. it depends on what you want. i love both motors for very different reasons. ask some of the guys with big 1jz cars.. most would tell you they would like a 7m car as well because it just drives different. so dont go off at me for trying to offer some helpful advice.. cuz its not me who doesnt have a clue.

Fuck no need to get all but hurt about it...

1. I love being a smart ass to guys like you that take it wayyyyy to serious!!It all in fun!!

2. Its an alternative to the 7M..Most people that swap are people that are sick of blowing HG on there 7M or want to do something different..

3.Yep i was!!! Good job on the FAQ most of it was fucked up or has changed.. I myself didnt use any of your FAQ..Soooo quit with the im soo cool you owe me some respect shit.. I dont.. I did my swap and i do all my own work. It snot a hard swap buddy, soo dont feel all high and mighty because you spent some time on the net posting "FAQ's" while i was out getting laid and having a life...

4.Yes 1js seem to run rich, not that big of a deal though... Yes your correct for most of that.. Soo ya got me..All of that is not that big of a problem though, very few have that issue.. THats the risk you take from buying a used engine...

5, The HKS twins that look stock (nota very reliable argument though, because there hard to find) But yes the 7M has way more options to upgrade, no shit... because it is a USDM offered engine and comes single already.. Good luck running 500whp on a unoppened 7M and having it run a long time....Your telling me you cant get 375WHP on stock twins?? Come on bro.....Ha.. They might blow up but it can be done...

I love my 1J and would never go back....

I say do the swap....

Josh

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
It's worth it plain and simple. At BPU levels the motorset is very reliable if maintained properly.

Do what's best for you in the end, but plan on spending more money in the long run for a built 7M.

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
ranger2339 said:
Fuck no need to get all but hurt about it...

1. I love being a smart ass to guys like you that take it wayyyyy to serious!!It all in fun!!

Josh
well, atleast we all know what kind of guy we are taking advice from. I do take the advice i give people seriously.. people make decisions based off people's experiences. I do take it seriously when someone needs help or wants real advice. you can personally attack me all you want, it wont bother me because you dont know me. my comment about the faq was not intended to tell you to respect me, it was to point out that i did have the experience with the motors that you were insinuating i did not have. if you want go online and fuck with people, have at it. im just here to help those who need/ ask for it. i figured with you being deployed and all you would have atleast learned to respect people until given a reason not too. the kid is going to make up his own mind.. with or without your comments or mine. like i said.. im just here to help

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
HamsMKIII said:
It's worth it plain and simple. At BPU levels the motorset is very reliable if maintained properly.

Do what's best for you in the end, but plan on spending more money in the long run for a built 7M.
true. but did you not tell me you would like to have another 7m car as well? your one of the ones i was reffering to in my original post.

·
Registered
923 Posts
This thread is turning retarded. Just do the research and decide yourself. i had the option to put in a 1jz 2jz rb25 or rb26 into my car. I decided to o with the 1jz. Just weigh the costs and what you want out of the engine.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
yes and no.. it all depends..

i wish i would of skipped the 1jz and went 2jz.. but thats me..

·
Ronin
1,215 Posts
tissimo said:
yes and no.. it all depends..

i wish i would of skipped the 1jz and went 2jz.. but thats me..
thats most of the jz club... including me. either 1.5 or 2j.. people want the 3.0.. they end up missing the torque. orin, chris, chris, me, sean, sae, sdstreetracer, a bunch of other s. fla guys, ron ramirez and the list goes on. all guys who have had big built motors and end up there.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I, for one, do not wish to go 2jz. Yes it has more torque, but the 1j revs quicker and can make LOOOOOOOOOOOADS of power. There are a few guys in S Florida that are making serious power. I will stick with the little engine that could.The 2j is more known for making power. I want to be different and make my power from the 1j. It feels good to beat larger engines with it. I don't understand it but I love it!

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
I don't want a 2J either.

There will always be a 2.5L in my car. I'm not missing any 'torque' people like to say the 1J doesn't have.

It's not even a little engine. It has a shorter stroke. Big deal. Rev it a bit more. So what, that's what it's good at. Not that big of a deal.

No one ever says an RB26 is too small :dunno:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts