Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay a little introduction but it will help the overall point of the post.

My daily since I got a license has been a 4cyl 4G Eclipse, fun car, has a great mod community, comes stock with a subwoofer, and engine sounds pretty good for an N/A straight four. Main downsides are FWD and lack of power.

So two weeks ago I bought a '91 Supra, N/A 7MGE, stick shift, frame damage. Got it for $1900. Gonna get the frame fixed for free, just paying for respray and new bumper cover. Being a JDM fan I thought the Supra would be amazing but after a while of driving it I realized its not the car I thought it would be.

Seems to be a power loss somewhere, 164HP at the crank vs 200HP should be noticeable, but honestly I feel like my Eclipse glues me to the seat better than the Supra. Audio is absolute trash, I mean even if you take away the advantage of having a subwoofer stock the 1991 audio system is just not as good as 2007, but I plan to replace speakers in the Supra so that's okay.

It was a bit fun driving it in the rain and fishtailing every corner I will admit, but this car just does not feel like it delivers power well. At this point I think I'm gonna get the body/frame fixed and sell it because its not what I thought it would be, and the Eclipse just seems like a much better car as a daily. Both are stick so its not an automatic vs manual thing.

My reason for thinking about selling it is that my dad is that paying for insurance for two sporty coupes is not cheap, so I can only have a plate on one at a time. But what I came to think of, maybe instead of selling it, make it a track car?

So for those of you who have had all the time in the world with your Mk3 MA70s, how do you feel about track/drift MA70 builds? Should I just sell it and make a profit and buy an Miata and take that to the track and probably have just as much fun or is this car really worth keeping? My thoughts right now are if I get this car back to mint condition (which outside of body it basically is) I can get $4500 out of it and make a profit.

I think when I heard that someone had a Supra going that cheap that was basically in perfect condition was amazing, and the idea of having a RWD car with a straight six was just something I wanted to have so bad, but then driving it I realized its not that much better than my little 4cyl straight four.

So what do you guys who have Mk3s, especially those with 7MGEs think about your car? Sell or track or daily mine vs a 2007 4Cyl Eclipse? Of course if I sell the Supra I'm probably gonna buy a cheaper RWD car that I will build into a track car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your biggest mistake was getting a non turbo buddy. Sorry not trying to be an a** but it's true
I saw a $1900 Supra, it was a cheap entrance into being part of the JDM community even though its like halfway JDM

·
Registered
982 Posts
The thing is is that the mk3 was never meant to be a track car. Sure it handles fine but it's way too heavy. It was just meant to have loads of power for straight like speed. That's why you see Ferrari and lambo owners butt hurt on the highway when they get their Butts handed to them by a supra. If you want a relatively cheap track car look into a Miata and swap the engine w an ls, 7m, 2j,1j, or the rx7 tt engine. I forgot the name of it. It's super light and it could be a real killer on the track.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Personally I'm not much of a track guy. I'm more of the type that loves the andrenaline rush from straight line speed. But let me tell you when you put some money into the 7m. It could rip your face off. You can get BIG power off of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally I'm not much of a track guy. I'm more of the type that loves the andrenaline rush from straight line speed. But let me tell you when you put some money into the 7m. It could rip your face off. You can get BIG power off of it.
If I keep the Supra I'll sell my Eclipse, hoping to get about $3000 for it, so for that money can I really get more power out of it? Cause right now it doesn't feel anymore powerful than my Eclipse at all, the only added fun factor is RWD, which after a while will probably not seem that much of a pro vs the cons it has. So for three grand can I push good numbers from it with bolt-ons? Cause if I sell the Supra once its done, if I get $4500 out of it I can put a 100HP gain on it, or even turbo it and that will definitely make it a lot faster, faster than the Supra by far

·
Registered
465 Posts
Your Supra has far more potential than the Eclipse ever will. But as with any Supra, you have to pay to play. Not to mention MK3s are rising in price along with the MK4s now. Clean ones are easily running for 10k now. You can roll into any car meet with a shitty MK3 and still get more attention than the cleanest/fastest Eclipse. Ask me how I know.

A quick easy way to get more out of even your NA 7M is to perform a full refresh on the engine, check the torque on your head bolts, replace your plugs, wires, belts, etc. Do the basic shit that you should do to any old engine before trying to compare it to a newer motor. Start doing research on how to go NA-T. Get ready to pull that W58 and trade it for an R154, unless you don't plan on pushing more than 500hp.

·
Registered
982 Posts
With that money you can buy injectors, fuel pump, Lexus afm, larger turbo, downpipe, hi flow cat, exhaust and a mhg w arps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your Supra has far more potential than the Eclipse ever will. But as with any Supra, you have to pay to play. Not to mention MK3s are rising in price along with the MK4s now. Clean ones are easily running for 10k now. You can roll into any car meet with a shitty MK3 and still get more attention than the cleanest/fastest Eclipse. Ask me how I know.

A quick easy way to get more out of even your NA 7M is to perform a full refresh on the engine, check the torque on your head bolts, replace your plugs, wires, belts, etc. Do the basic shit that you should do to any old engine before trying to compare it to a newer motor. Start doing research on how to go NA-T. Get ready to pull that W58 and trade it for an R154, unless you don't plan on pushing more than 500hp.
Everything I read so far said that NA-T is pointless, and the NA 7M is really bad for converting to Turbo, but that's just what I read so far on other forums, but if you guys say its not a bad idea I might go for it

·
Registered
982 Posts
forgot you said na. Going na-t put an extra thousand on that. The gte and the ge are very similar. Going na-t is not bad at all.

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,580 Posts
be prepared to spend alot of money if you decide to start modifying an NA 7m. not the best platform to start with if you plan on anything performance wise.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Daily the supra for a few months, stack some cash on top of the 3k if you get it, and then either fix the HG issues if it hasn't been addressed or swap it with a 1 or 2j. 1j will cost less, but wont have quite as much ass behind it as a 7m or 2j. BUT the 1j and 2j are more forgiving than the 7m. With frame damage though, you may be looking at more than you think. I know you said its getting repaired, but that free can turn into a monster pretty quick.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Daily the supra for a few months, stack some cash on top of the 3k if you get it, and then either fix the HG issues if it hasn't been addressed or swap it with a 1 or 2j. 1j will cost less, but wont have quite as much ass behind it as a 7m or 2j. BUT the 1j and 2j are more forgiving than the 7m. With frame damage though, you may be looking at more than you think. I know you said its getting repaired, but that free can turn into a monster pretty quick.
I forgot he said it had frame damage. That really needs to be looked at before anything else is done to see if its worth saving.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Base model Mk3's have such a low Blue Book value, I'm surprised you're worrying about insurance. My car's the cheapest by far to insure in my whole family, and I'm the youngest, too (young = expensive).

As for the car itself, it was never meant for tracking or drifting. The thing weighs over 3500 lbs with a ton of weight on the front wheels and enough bump steer for a garage full of cars. I would say it's better to track a car that's already part way there instead of taking a GT car and turning it into something it's not. That said, it is a very fun car to drive on street and in the canyons (I cruise through Malibu every now and then); just don't rely on it to get you great lap times on a track or time attack. As for the power, if you really want to get thrown into your seat, you will have to go turbo. These engines are getting old, so even getting to factory power and torque curves seems pretty tough without higher compression and intake/exhaust upgrades. 7M, 1J, 2J, 1.5J, they're all great engines to get a decent amount of reliable power from, given that you tune and treat them right (or so I've heard).

Good luck with the endeavor!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you want something like a supra for track/drift just get a 240. Supra was built to be a luxury touring car. And also I highly reccomend you have just bought a turbo one. If you want the turbo just get the turbo. :p

Also you're still just comparing it, it's an old car getting very old. I'm driving a 2010 atm while I"m rebuilding mine I may not want to go back to dailying it since my current prius has all the nice luxuries and is a worry free car.

Mk3 is a luxury street car, not best option for drift/track.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Would be REALLY hard to get $4,500 for a N/A, especially since it had frame damage (salvage title probably). Even if it is "mint", people don't pay for N/As...people buy N/As to swap...for a few hundred dollars

And to get it to "mint" condition do you plan to replace all of the suspension components? Interior? you would spend over $3k just on that...so now your break even is $4900 and you got paid zero for your labor (assuming you get $4900, which is doubtful)

I suggest you use the eclipse as the daily, and have the supra as a toy. Slowly mod the supra as time and money allows, blow it up, then start over

·
Registered
35 Posts
start staking up parts for either a 7mgte swap or a 1j/2j swap youll be much further ahead than anything with that NA engine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts