Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone has removed the Cat converter....if yes, please tell me if you saw a difference in HP and about the Exhaust noise....is it really worth it
thx guys

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I would say no, but if your cat is 15 years old, then perhaps. I've not heard of a Toyota Cat collapsing internally, but I know they can, especially in Fords for some reason.

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
well, is not having a cat worth 8 rwhp? that's what i got...(2.5inch downpipe/no cats).. this was on a mustang dyno too.... so something tells me that if it was measured on a dynojet, i can pull much better gains. this wasnt a "peaky" type of gain, but throughout the entire powerband. and the torque saw similiar gains too, also on the entire powerband.... the results might change if you have a catback designed for the TT though..but that hasnt been tested yet...

i have the stock exhausts and my car is pretty loud as is, so i can only imagine what it will sound like with a cat-back... hope that answered some of your questions.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about the (check engine) light.

wouldnt the check engine light come on after removing the cats.What would you have to do?Ground off the cat sensor or is there a fuse to disable it?

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
Re: what about the (check engine) light.

Trinitattoos said:
wouldnt the check engine light come on after removing the cats.What would you have to do?Ground off the cat sensor or is there a fuse to disable it?
yeah, the check engine light comes on. for some reason though, when i am idling,below 2k rpm,or let off the gas, it doesnt come on. but i step on it a little, it does though..

i remember in stangs, they have these things called MIL eliminators, which gets rid of the check engine light by tricking the sensor. im going to look into that to get rid of my light, so ill keep you guys informed and see if that'll work.

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
I havent gutted the first cat (should be shortly though) but I have bypassed the 2nd cat with a cutout and the check engine light didnt come on, go figure :D

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about running rich?

I was also told that removing the cats would cause the engine to also run very rich.Did you guys experience that,and did you have to re-calibrate the air-fuel mixture ratio.

·
MKIV TT Sell-OUT
176 Posts
Re: what about running rich?

Trinitattoos said:
I was also told that removing the cats would cause the engine to also run very rich.Did you guys experience that,and did you have to re-calibrate the air-fuel mixture ratio.
is that why my exhaust smells like a gas station? :D

(actually, i dont have any problems.....)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so...

did u guys feel a difference in HP gain...this is my only concern...
does it really get loud...i assume u guys replaced the cat by a straight pipe did not you?
thx for all the replies...

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
You cant take out the first cat its part od the downpipe, collector for the nonturbo headers, the second cat can be replaced with A Test Pip Which I have You have to get it made but you will see a couple h.p increase and it will make the exhuast sound deeper. ~Xdreamer

93.5 all~motor White Hardtop Mkiv Supra

·
Back in Long Island =)
1,449 Posts
And I havent gotten A check engine light on after removing it does run richer sort off Cause the second cat burns off the extra fuel after the 1st cat.you dont have to ground or do anything the oxygen sensors are on the headers not the cat . You should not have a Problem I havent And have been runing it Like this for months now i put it on the car A couple weeks After i Bought it.
~Xdreamer

·
ส็็็็็็&
919 Posts
well we got to work on that cat tonight and good lord i thought the wireing harness was a bitch, but its almost all hollowed out and my head bit should be here tomorrow as well so we get to see what kind of damage i did:rolleyes: :eek:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has any one used Random tech cats?

With what headers, exhaust? Results? Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: what about the (check engine) light.

Trinitattoos said:
I cut both cats off of mine and I like it. I have never had the check engine light come on. Both of my O2 sensors are before the cat, and precat. The only thing that I recommend, is that you weld a resonator(one or both of the factory one's) inline. I had to go back and add one to take the rasping sound out. My car runs fine, doesnt run too rich, it dropped the low-end torque, but made up for it with the 3k-4k rpm pull, and the loudass F1 sound :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts