Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: I have no actual concern for 0-60 times however I am just using it as a indicator of how well my car is pulling

I have a 1989 Turbo Targa Auto (the heaviest beast of them all) with around 90k miles and it runs perfect. Start up is effortless and idle is smooth. I previously thought it pulled very strong but then I clocked my 0-60 just to compare it to online figures.

I came up with a pretty consistent 7.7 seconds. Tested on different days, different areas. This is also including a 3 inch widemouth downpipe, test pipe, and Blitz Nur catback. Otherwise stock.

Online I saw a stock 89 Turbo 5-speed was tested at 6.6 seconds so I figure there is a bit too much of a gap here, especially with full exhaust. Anybody have their own numbers to compare?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Seems right to me anyways.

Sorry...manuals get more power through the drive train then autos m8

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I do realize that, but I just want to be sure I don't have a problem that's sucking a lot of power. I know there are quite a few guys with automatics around here, so someone probably has an idea of what theirs runs

·
Super Moderator
11,559 Posts
"runs perfect" or not, you're dealing with a car that is 20+ years old.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that most of the mid 6 second 0-60 times in MK3's recorded by magazines were done in manual cars by editors that were doing really abusive launches. A much better indicator of your car's power output would be to take a trip to the dyno, or get your car weighted at a certified scale and compare your weight with your 1/4 mile or 1/8 mile trap speed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
if you want to get a better 0-60 time you gotta launch that auto!

yank the e-brake up as high as it will go while keeping your thumb on the button, mash your foot on the brake and gas and get that torque converter to start stretching a little bit and build some boost, then let off the brakes. abusive? maybe...better launch? definitely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts